PDA

View Full Version : Hand with Roland and I

lstream
05-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Roland and I have been having a good time playing 5/10 together quite a bit. We both wanted feedback on the 4'th street play. I figured he had the queens, so I made the raise. Turns out he really did have them. Most of the time we don't end up in the same hand together, so this was a rare treat for both of us I think. /images/graemlins/cool.gif On the later streets the poker gods took nice care of me, as you can see.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $2 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in
Seat 2: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Hero: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises___raises
Hero: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets___folds

5th Street

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Hero: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls

6th Street

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets___calls
Hero: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___raises

River

Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___checks___calls
Hero: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets

Results:

Seat 4: balance $378.5, lost $62.5 [ Kd Ks Js 9d As Jd 3c ] [ two pairs, kings and jacks -- As,Kd,Ks,Js,Jd ]
Hero: balance $456.5, bet $62.5, collected $139, net +$76.5 [ 6h Tc 6s Td 9h Ts Th ] [ four of a kind, tens -- Tc,Td,Ts,Th,9h ]

Michael Emery
05-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Your third street call is debatable if the player who limped with the jack is liable to be limping with a big pair (like he did). Make sure you put that down in his notes and avoid limping in after him in situations like these next time. If hes an extremely loose player however your call was fine.

Nice job by Roland just calling last to act, and not building the pot with a dead queen out. On fourth it looks like he was smart enough to know he was beat and make a good fold once hell breaks loose. I guess he has you pegged as a rock and rightly didnt want to risk being far behind. Roland what did you put Stream on when he made it $15? All in all it looks well played by both of you.

Mike Emery

BeerMoney
05-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Stream, I'm not crazy about third or fourth. We keep seeing you popping up with these posts with crummy pairs and crummy kickers. I know you're doing well, but these can come back to haunt you.. How do you play this if Roland raises third? Now you've got a crummy hand that you're gonna pay to see 5th street with...

On fourth, I like a fold here. I think one of the most important concepts for stud players is the "slightly ahead/way behind" idea.. Mixed in with the fact that the pot is small, and you have nothing invested on 4th, I like a fold here.

Other than that, I love the river. I know you learned that one from me!

Roland
05-22-2005, 11:19 PM
I remember playing a hand against lstream (or maybe Beta, doesn’t really matter) where he called me from the bring-in and then raised me once an eight fell on 4th. I wasn’t capable of folding my big pair though, although the only hand that he could have that would explain his raise was trip eights – and that’s what he had. This time I had the same feeling – I couldn’t really see him limping in with 6 10 6, but a limp with pocket tens after that Jack seemed possible. In any case playing my hand would have been like playing against a paired door card – either a little behind, or way behind. And my Queens were semi-dead… no way.

lstream
05-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Roland - yeah, that was me with the trip 8's that time

jon_1van
05-23-2005, 01:37 PM
About 6th,

When this guy bets out at you after pairing his door card on 6th....knowing that you've paired your door card on 6th did you consider just calling?

I have to admit that I would probably raise 6th. But I think the correct play is calling unless you think the villian is way too lag or just plain bad. Because capping with you on 4th would make me think he's got 2 pair/trips/or pocket Aces. Then he bets out at you when you get a 2nd T when the 1st T made you 3 bet 4th. It takes some serious stone to do this without a higher FH or at least Trip Js.

So I guess my question is "did you think this guy was a monkey when you raised 6th?"

MRBAA
05-23-2005, 01:57 PM
I limp in with the split 6s all the time. When I hit two pair I get aggressive, just like you. On sixth, I hate his paired Jacks. I just call even though I'm full. His bet on fifth suggests he might already have had two pair. Wish I could play every river as you did this one, lol.

I think if you can't limp live small pairs a fair bit in a stud game, it's probably time to find a better game.

lstream
05-23-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When this guy bets out at you after pairing his door card on 6th....knowing that you've paired your door card on 6th did you consider just calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon - you hit the nail on the head with this question. That was by far the toughest decision in the hand. I really did not like seeing those jacks either, and thought for quite a while about what to do. In my own mind, I decided that this was almost a coin flip, so I bet it. I did not have a good read on the opponent at the time. Lately, my default position is to be aggressive and bet when in doubt.