PDA

View Full Version : The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Paluka
05-22-2005, 09:58 PM
I finally watched this with the help of Netflix today.
Rushmore is one of my favorite movies. Seriously top 5. Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums are both awesome.
The Life Aquatic sucked.

tbach24
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Life Aquatic was awesome. I suspect I'll love Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket and Rushmore (I've seen it but forget it).

manpower
05-22-2005, 10:08 PM
IMO the worst movie by that director.

theBruiser500
05-22-2005, 10:09 PM
really? i was surprised by how good the life aquatic was, i found it hilarious

miajag81
05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Life Aquatic has a couple funny scenes but it's crap compared to Royal Tenenbaums or Rushmore (I haven't seen Bottle Rocket).

Paluka
05-22-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
really? i was surprised by how good the life aquatic was, i found it hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy makes 3 amazing movies, and then you are "surprised" when his 4th one is funny?

Duke
05-22-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I finally watched this with the help of Netflix today.
Rushmore is one of my favorite movies. Seriously top 5. Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenenbaums are both awesome.
The Life Aquatic sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it funny how you used to be in the nut house and now I'm in jail?

EDIT: I'm going to have to watch Rushmore again. I think I watched it at the wrong time in my life.

~D

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Why do people start new threads about things like this instead of just adding to the 10 or so existing ones?

Paluka
05-23-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people start new threads about things like this instead of just adding to the 10 or so existing ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the threads about this movie are really old, didn't seem worth it to resurrect one.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The Life Aquatic sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't see how this conclusion can be made considering the other movies you enjoyed. That's why they are opinions I suppose.

The cinematography and soundtrack would have been enough to make me enjoy the movie.

I feel like too many WA fans get mad at what it isn't rather than appreciate it for what it is (and also it is uber-popular/chic to say Life Aquatic sucked).

car ramrod
05-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Bottle Rocket is great. You gotta see it.

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Life Aquatic sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't see how this conclusion can be made considering the other movies you enjoyed. That's why they are opinions I suppose.

The cinematography and soundtrack would have been enough to make me enjoy the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the op. I really liked Rushmore. I thought the Royal Tannenbaum's was very good, although overhyped. But I just though The Life Aquatic stunk. I really like this style of humor, but thoguht this movie was just terrible. As pointed out in a prior thread, I did like the soundtrack though, and recently purchsed the CD.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really liked Rushmore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised me with this one Jake. Didn't think you would have seen it.

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really liked Rushmore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised me with this one Jake. Didn't think you would have seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that? I like this kind of humor. It's kinda zany and understated/subtle at the same time. My father-in-law worked on Bottle Rocket.

thatpfunk
05-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Just cause it's a trendy movie that college age kids like to love.

I (fitting into my stereotype) think it is hilarious. Glad you do as well.

What did you FiL do with Bottle Rocket?

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What did you FiL do with Bottle Rocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactly. My wife's family is all in moviemaking. Her Dad, her brother and her uncles on her mom's side all do stagehand stuff, gripwork, sets, electrician, best boy, lighting, etc. Pretty much any movie that gets made in Texas, there's a good chance at least one of them worked on it.

irishken
05-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Life Aquatic was funny on its own way and good parody... but the dialogues were just booring.