PDA

View Full Version : 99 in BB

ChuckyB
05-22-2005, 09:52 PM
6 max table...all five limp. I'm in the big blind and I have pocket nines. How do I play this? It's a good hand, but not against five others. If I was UTG I'd go to 4x or 5x BB.

Should I just check, and pray for under-cards or a set? Or do I raise (which I assume has to be a big raise) to try and knock people out? Or is there another option?

Popinjay
05-22-2005, 09:57 PM
raise the pot if you think you have the best hand

ChuckyB
05-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Any thoughts on how much to raise with with 6xBB in there already?

edge
05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I don't like to raise 99 out of position here. On the button with everyone limping, I'll raise it up, but not here. Most flops will have at least one overcard, you make a continuation bet, and if you're called, you have to check/fold the turn. I'll just knuckle it here.

mgsimpleton
05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
the point is not necessarily to get it heads up or limp... you can raise for value so when unders come or you hit your set you will make more money... sucks to limp, hit a set, and make no money so raise to 3-4bb and play still for set value is sometimes an option since your set will be well disguised, especially with overs out there. also if you raise that little from ep sometimes on a raggedy flop t high with no set you can still take it down on the flop...

topout
05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Limits? How aggressive? How deep? Will someone put you on a steal and try to resteal?

Big_Jim
05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I check it just about every time. 99 is too hard to play after the flop in most situations, especially since you are likely to get several callers (most games where everybody limps in are pretty loose) and you won't be sure what to do unless you flop a set.

If there's anybody at the table who is capable of a limp-raise, I would check even faster, being re-raised here would be horrible.

I would be more inclined to make a big raise with garbage here than 99, as it's much easier to play if you get re-raised and after the flop.