PDA

View Full Version : My review of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back (as requested)

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 08:38 PM
In New Hope, George Lucas creates a masterful story. A movie of philosophical value along with hope for a generation coming out war in Vietnam. Lacking budget, a sufficient team along with an uncertainty of his own, the movie had some problems despite being a work of art.

George Lucas fully redeems himself in Empire Strikes Back. Action reaches a new level. Storyline is more developed. Transitioning is smoother and the directing job, done by Irvin Kershner is far more professional than Star War's preceding movie. There are no visible errors to speak of in this movie, as a more experienced Lucas proved to be better prepared.

The movie begins with the rebellion transferring to an ice planet to avoid being searched out by an anxious empire. One has to ask why these rebels decided their fate would rest in this iceland when it appears unnecessary. Are there no other planets within range to hide on? Maybe the rebellion army assumed that nobody would believe them to be a foolish as to try to survive in a vacant land, covered in snow, with wind factor of great significance and an apparent temperature drop of frightening proportions.

Despite the dangers these rebels are exposed to from this planet, it appears that they are not well equipped in that of vehicle transportation. Luke Skywalker, leader of the rebellion, has to travel on the back of a native ice creature, which appears to be similiar to that of a small, but friendly dinosaur.

Luke manages to get trapped inside of an ice monster's den, dangling from the roof of his cave. It becomes apparent that the ice monster will soon grow hungry and feed upon that of human flesh. Luke manages to untangle himself with the use of his lightsaber. The ice monster, seeing Luke attempting an escape, runs over quickly to attack. The ice monster, appearing to look similiar to that of a Polar Bear in size and shape, loses a limb to the strength of Luke's saber. Rather than slay this beast like a true Jedi, Luke runs away in great fear trying to outrun the relatively helpless creature. One has to ponder how it is that Luke is going to combat Darth Vader if he cannot defeat a pathetic ice monster. If Luke was truely ready to empower the force, he should have been able to defur the animal, ripping off his entire coat of white hair with only the use of his mental energy.

Luke manages to escape, but gets trapped in a blizzard with no means to make it back to the rebellion's base. Han Solo finds Luke and tries to keep him warm while friendly aircraft send out a rescue team to search for these 2 survivors.

With the technology available to the rebels, you would assume that they would have tracking devices, or at least radio/video intercom. A rescue team soon finds Han and Luke and they are brought back to safety.

Enduring some damage through his life threatening experience, Luke has to be hospitalized for a short duration. In his hospital room, we see Han Solo trying to charm Princess Leia in a condescending manner, which certainly has an effect on Leia, despite it appearing to be a negative one. Their relationship resembles that of two nine year old children, pretending to hate each other when they really have feelings for one another. We then see the Princess kiss Luke for shear spite to enrage Han, if nothing else.

Han soon tries a new method of charm on Leia, actually approaching her in a caring and embracing manner. Eating up all the compliments, Leia soon finds herself entangled in a kiss with Han, which is shortly abrupted by the slapstick comedy of an annoying 3P0.

Darth Vader, haven sent out probing droids for the purpose of searching out the rebellion location, finally locate them. Vader quickly assembles an attacking regime and sends them out to search and destroy the rebellion base. The Empire's large militia equipment slowly draws closer the rebels, and the rebels quickly send out a counterattack against the war machines through the use of their own fighter planes. In a great war battle, the rebels prevail through the use of their wit. Few rebel casualties are sustained.

The rebels quickly evacuate. Obi-wan's spirit approaches Luke and instructs him to travel to a distant planet where a master Yoda will complete his training. Luke quickly arrives to this planet, which appears to consist entirely of swampland. Yoda first presents himself to Luke as a goofy, mindless creature, which is entirely uncharacteristic of himself. Luke soon realizes that this is in fact the great Jedi Yoda, and Yoda comes into his true character, that of a creature in possession of great wisdom and power. Yoda teaches Luke about the power of the force.

Meanwhile, Han Solo takes Princess Leia, Chewbacaa, R2D2 and 3PO to a friend's location on a nearby planet (Cloud City) to recoup. In an act of betrayal, Han's friend turns them into an awaiting Darth Vader for an exchange of business finances.

Vader decides that he is going to use these rebels as bait to attract Luke Skywalker to face him in combat. He forces Han Solo to enter a freezing chamber under the force of his command. Princess Leia shouts out her love for Han as he slowly becomes encumbered by the chamber. Han shows his own love for Leia in his own way flamboyant way and plunges to his apparent death through the means of being frozen alive.

Young Skywalker soon becomes aware that Han and Leia have been captured by Vader, and despite not being ready, leaves the guidance of Yoda despite being advised not to, to fly to Cloud City and rescue his friends.

As expected, Luke is engaged by the trap set by Vader and Vader forces Luke into a light saber battle. Much more impressive than the battle of Obi-Wan versus Vader in New Hope, this battle is visually spectacular. Outmatched, Vader soon slices off Luke's hand and tries to convince to Luke to join the darkside with him. We soon discover that Vader is Luke's father, and Luke, disgusted with the new turn of events jumps off the ledge where he stands, in to what appears to be an endless plunge into space.

Luckily, Luke manages to survive the fall by reaching an apparent garbage disposal of Cloud City, which is a slide that slowly decreases the speed of Luke. Princess Leia manages to escape the grasp of Vader and rescues Luke with her spaceship.

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back is a fantastic movie, even for a generation 30 years ahead of its time. I am looking forward to completing the trilogy by watching Return of the Jedi shortly.

CallMeIshmael
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I cant believe Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
sorry for ruining it for you

Popinjay
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Less plot summary more review next time please!

daryn
05-22-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah man, just like the last one, it's like star wars cliff's notes

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
next one ill make short and sweet

Punker
05-22-2005, 08:54 PM
This not a review. It is a recap.

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 08:56 PM
well there isnt much to review. its good, what can i say? in the first one there were many problems and i pointed them out the best i could. there really arent any in the new one.

tbach24
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I watched the New Hope last night and ESB today. The one real question I have is what's Vader's role in the empire in each installment? It seems that he has a lot more power in ESB.

daryn
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
well there isnt much to review. its good, what can i say? in the first one there were many problems and i pointed them out the best i could. there really arent any in the new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess you don't know what the word review means?

review != pointing out problems

KDawgCometh
05-22-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched the New Hope last night and ESB today. The one real question I have is what's Vader's role in the empire in each installment? It seems that he has a lot more power in ESB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vader is basically the guy running the show. The emporer is *almost* like a puppet. Really its Vader running the day to day sh<font color="orange"> </font>it and the emporer doing things behind the scenes

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 09:04 PM
you think he has more power? in NH vader can strangle people with his mind and destroy planets. in ESB he can still strangle people with his mind, throw objects at Luke and casn communicate with Luke through telepathy. i guess the telepathy and object throwing is newly introduced. i really dont think he has much more power than he did before though.

tbach24
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you think he has more power? in NH vader can strangle people with his mind and destroy planets. in ESB he can still strangle people with his mind, throw objects at Luke and casn communicate with Luke through telepathy. i guess the telepathy and object throwing is newly introduced. i really dont think he has much more power than he did before though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant political power as opposed to mental power. I see a large discrepancy between the two and am wondering where he ranks in each. In the first one he gets in an argument with a general, but in the 2nd the generals basically bow down to him and listen to every word he says.

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
many reviews summarize the plot along with point out production errors. im sorry that you dont like my review, i never said i was a writer. please dont read my next, youre not invited.

daryn
05-22-2005, 09:08 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
many reviews summarize the plot along with point out production errors. im sorry that you dont like my review, i never said i was a writer. please dont read my next, youre not invited.

[/ QUOTE ]

please, i'm just saying what you wrote is NOT a review. end of story. if you decide to actually write a review in the future, let me know, i'll read it.

tbach24
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vader is basically the guy running the show. The emporer is *almost* like a puppet. Really its Vader running the day to day sh<font color="orange"> </font>it and the emporer doing things behind the scenes

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think you could call the emporer a puppet. I think your latter assessment of his situation would be more correct. So Vader is top dog? In ESB it seems so, but in NH it does not.

KDawgCometh
05-22-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think you could call the emporer a puppet. I think your latter assessment of his situation would be more correct. So Vader is top dog? In ESB it seems so, but in NH it does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean puppet in the true sense of the word, it was more the first thing that came to my mind that could expalin it as best as possible

Soul Daddy
05-22-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So Vader is top dog? In ESB it seems so, but in NH it does not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never really understood the relationship between Vader and the military leaders of the Empire. Was Tarkin somehow ahead of him in rank? That doesn't seem likely, but Vader certainly seemed to yield and answer to him. Yet once Tarkin was out of the way Vader only answered to the Emperor.

CallMeIshmael
05-22-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never really understood the relationship between Vader and the military leaders of the Empire. Was Tarkin somehow ahead of him in rank? That doesn't seem likely, but Vader certainly seemed to yield and answer to him. Yet once Tarkin was out of the way Vader only answered to the Emperor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked a roommate about this once (and he is big into it).

He said that basically, Vader and Tarkin were equal, and both clearly below the emperor.

They kind of have different jobs, in the same way a company might have a VP in charge on marketing and a VP in charge of sales.

Mangatang
05-22-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean puppet in the true sense of the word, it was more the first thing that came to my mind that could expalin it as best as possible

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say puppet master (the one pulling the strings).

Soul Daddy
05-22-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They kind of have different jobs, in the same way a company might have a VP in charge on marketing and a VP in charge of sales.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh... It seems that this is the case, but once Tarkin is out of the way Vader is clearly the Empire's military leader as well. I guess the Grand Moff position was left vacated and absorbed by Vader's division in a merger.

Dynasty
05-22-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked a roommate about this once (and he is big into it).

He said that basically, Vader and Tarkin were equal, and both clearly below the emperor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vader, as the Emperor's apprentice, didn't have a clearly defined role in any power structure (military, political, etc.). He was the Emperor's "liason with force" who would deal with a large # of issues. However, that doesn't mean he could simply push around someone like Grand Moff Tarkin, the highest ranking member of the Imperial Navy. Tarkin had his turf, the Death Star, to run as he saw fit.

When the Death Star was destroyed and Luke Skywalker tapped into the force, Vader was on a mission to capture him at all costs. He could do anything to achieve that goal. That's why he's such a badass in Empire.

[censored]
05-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Think of Vader's role as similar to the President's Chief of Staff or even VP. He is not directly above those in the military but he does speak for the President so when he says something [censored] happens.

tbach24
05-22-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When the Death Star was destroyed and Luke Skywalker tapped into the force, Vader was on a mission to capture him at all costs. He could do anything to achieve that goal. That's why he's such a badass in Empire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was he so determined to capture Skywalker? If it has anything to do with 1-3 or 6 don't answer that please.

Soul Daddy
05-22-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was he so determined to capture Skywalker? If it has anything to do with 1-3 or 6 don't answer that please.

[/ QUOTE ]
"If he could be turned, he would be a powerful ally."

[censored]
05-22-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At first the emperor and Vader see Skywalker as a threat that should be killed from the events in Episode 4. Yet early in Episode 5 Vader convinces the Emperor that instead Luke can and should be turned because he will be a powerful allie. The Emperor asks Vader what if he can't be turned? to which Vader replies that he will then kill him.

Vader's motives for wanting to turn Luke rather than kill him I believe are revealed in Part 6, although he may have said it in 5.

[censored]
05-22-2005, 10:43 PM
I think people are dissappointed with this review because we are more interested in reading about how you reacted to varies plot lines and what you did not like. We have all pretty much seen the movie so tell us what were your favorite parts and which were your least favorite? How was it knowing going in about the connection between Luke and DV? What did you think about Yoda?