PDA

View Full Version : Changing Room? I may need to try on this skirt . . .

Catt
05-22-2005, 07:24 PM
. . . or was this prudent play? I'm not a big fan of posting AA hands because usually they are fairly straightforward, but this one had me confused.

Very thin read on Villain. His stats over 60 hands are 46/11.5/1.3 (with street by street 0.8/1.3/3.0). Several of these hands must have been from datamining, because I've been at the table only about 6 orbits. Not a whole lot on his post-flop play except: he has shown some misplaced aggression -- betting the flop into 4 players with one overcard; bluff-raising too frequently. But he will frequently shut down the aggression when played back at. He is not afraid to bet and sometimes raise draws, but I hadn't seen him 3-bet or cap any draws. His pre-flop range is fairly wide -- he has three-bet 33 and A4s before and he steals fairly frequently. Keep in mind all this is over a small sample.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="#0000FF">The cap surprised me as I felt pretty sure he would call the 3-bet but then might very well raise the turn with a made hand, and I didn't think he would cap an OESD or gutshot, especially HU.</font>

Turn: (7.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

<font color="#0000FF">I planned on check-raising him when I hit the set. Thinking about this after the hand, I'm not sure that makes sense -- I can't fold to a 3-bet which means I am in for at least 3 more bets (4 if I can't fold top set on the river) to showdown; on the other hand, if he was betting 2-pair on the flop, I doubt he lets it go to a C/R even when the A falls.</font>

River: (7.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

<font color="#0000FF">Well, if he was betting a draw, I figured there was an excellent chance it just came in, and didn't want to put 2 bets in on the river. Anything but an 8, J, or K gets a lead bet here, but with this card I checked planning on calling.</font>

Appreciate all thoughts / advice. I am still confused by the hand (whether I donned the skirt or played to win the most / lose the least). Disregarding the actual outcome, I think I needed to put some bets in on the turn or river, but think about it again and become a shrinking violet again.

wrto4556
05-22-2005, 07:46 PM
The turn *is* kinda interesting.

You said he is not afraid to bet/raise draws so im assuming he doesn't take the free card after raising(correct me if im wrong). That makes the C/r on the turn sound sweet. The A didn't help a hand that you beat before and I'm willing to go the extra bets with this guy on a draw heavy board.

wackjob
05-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Bet the turn every time in hopes that he will continue his aggression and raise you and you can get in a 3-bet. I don't think he already has a made straight by the flop action, more likely 2P or TPGK. Lead the river and call a raise.

mungpo
05-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Bet the turn.

LImitPlayer
05-22-2005, 09:35 PM
I think the turn bet should be an auto bet, especially if he will raise draws since this is such a draw heavy board

krishanleong
05-22-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't mind the turn cr attempt.

I lead the river, call a raise. And if you want comments on the river check, end the action at the river. Don't show your opponent checking behind.

Krishan

Catt
05-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

In regards to "he raises draws" I'd seen him bet or raise draws, but never 3-bet or cap -- he failed to 3-bet (after leading and being raised) a somewhat disjointed board with the nut fourflush acting last in a 5-handed pot. Hence my concern with the flop action, although my read was over a small sample so I am likely giving this read too much value.

[ QUOTE ]
I lead the river, call a raise. And if you want comments on the river check, end the action at the river. Don't show your opponent checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - wished I had actually left all the river action off the post.

If I bet the river, I can't fold to a raise; but am I good often enough to risk 2 bets to win 1 (putting aside the more complex calculation on the times he folds to the bet or raises but I win -- I doubt he's raising a hand I beat very often)? I don't know, but I do know I wouldn't fold top set for one more bet on the river in this pot.