PDA

View Full Version : Worst broadcasters ever!!....

kerssens
05-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Aside from future hall of famer Dave Niehaus (just can't say anything bad about him, except senility seems to be setting in), the Mariners have the worst broacasting team in any sport, at any time, ever. I have very little experience with out of market broadcasts but still feel confident that it could not get any worse. If you know of any particularly horrible broadasts, go ahead and mention them here. The other day I heard one of the M's idiots say that they should play Raul Ibanez in left and move Randy Winn to DH to add power to the outfield. Many, many more pointless and infuriating comments have been said as well.

New001
05-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Two words. Ron Fairly. Niehaus is great, and the rest of the Mariners guys aren't too bad, but they're obviously not great. I think he's (Fairly) even worse than Joe Morgan, who really bugs me too.

kerssens
05-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, Fairly is trash but Rick Rizzs is so bad that he actually makes me angry. The worst thing is when I'm driving somewhere and I hear Rizzs, then I get home and its the bottom of the 5th and Rizzs has just switched to TV. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

youtalkfunny
05-23-2005, 01:40 AM
They're all horrible.

I was watching Red Sox/Braves on TBS today. They had their GOOD announcers working the game, and they were saying things like, "Full count to Ramirez, do you send Ortiz here?" Like there's ever a time you would ever send Ortiz ANYWHERE. I wouldn't send him to the concession stand for a hotdog.

BWebb
05-23-2005, 01:48 AM
come on, this debate ends at Bill Walton. During Game 6 of the Phx-Dal series, he said that Steve Nash was the least athletic player in the NBA! He's a moron who tries to say the most outlandish [censored] ever.

renodoc
05-23-2005, 02:05 AM
walton

end of thread

ThaSaltCracka
05-23-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Walton.....He's a moron who tries to say the most outlandish [censored] ever.

[/ QUOTE ] which makes him the best color man, ever. seriously.

Benholio
05-23-2005, 03:09 AM
Joe Morgan

sublime
05-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Joe Morgan

hard to argue you with that, however mccarver is worse IMO.

i cant comment on walton, as i dont watch much NBA, but magic johnsons stint as an announcer was a disgrace.

Benholio
05-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Yes, Mccarver is terrible. He needs to get Deion-ized some more.

MicroBob
05-23-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rick Rizzs is so bad that he actually makes me angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gooooood-byyyyyyyyyeeeeeee Baseball!!!!

The first time i heard him do that home-run call I thought he was kidding.

Great pipes though.

Morgan is officially the worst btw.

goofball
05-23-2005, 03:38 AM
I like the M's announcers. It's like watching a game with my grandpa or something.

The White Sox announcers blow to holy hell.

HEGONE!

MicroBob
05-23-2005, 03:43 AM
this is correct.

the white sox announcers are officially the worst. they are brutal beyond belief.

ethan
05-23-2005, 03:47 AM
The FSN broadcasters for the White Sox games are worse than Joe Morgan (based on a limited sampling of both). The Seattle announcers are pretty bad, too. MLB.TV's great, but I've come close to muting a game more than once.

It's hard not to choose Bill Walton as the big winner here, though.

MicroBob
05-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Okay....you guys are going to think I'm off my rocker:

Three annoucers I think are somewhere between okay to better than average (not terrific...but I don't mind them):

Bill Walton
Tim McCarver
Dick Vitale

sublime
05-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Okay....you guys are going to think I'm off my rocker:

Tim McCarver

when i started actually listenting to what he said, instead of just hearing it, i realized how much of a senile retard he is.

kerssens
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
come on, this debate ends at Bill Walton. During Game 6 of the Phx-Dal series, he said that Steve Nash was the least athletic player in the NBA! He's a moron who tries to say the most outlandish [censored] ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he also compare Nash's endurance to Lance Armstrong in that same game?

Pocket Trips
05-23-2005, 10:26 AM
I think the person most responsible for me becoming a yankee fan in the 80's even when they sucked was Fran Healey... There is no more annoying voice in broadcasting today. Whenever i hear his voice i want to rip his vocal chords out and pour bleach down his throat to insure he never speaks again! Having to listen to him, Kiner, and McCarver on Mets broadcasts are what made me a Yankee fan. I didn't mind when Mc Carver was briefly a Yankee broadcastere because by then I had learned to turn the volume down on the TV and listen to the radio broadcast by Sterling and Kaye.

namknils
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the M's announcers. It's like watching a game with my grandpa or something.

HEGONE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the White Sox announcers. Forget the fact that I'm a Cubs fan and hate the Sox with every ounce of my being, their announcers really are horrible. I don't think anyone could listen to a whole game of them and then say they are not the worst ever.

davelin
05-23-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HEGONE!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the White Sox announcers. Forget the fact that I'm a Cubs fan and hate the Sox with every ounce of my being, their announcers really are horrible. I don't think anyone could listen to a whole game of them and then say they are not the worst ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Hawk and DJ are hardly tolerable unless you're a diehard Sox fan. On the other hand, I think their radio guys are first rate although Farmer can get a little preach-y at times.

Toro
05-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Celtics fans adored him but I'd be interested in how other fans regarded Johnny Most.

BreakfastBurrito
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I really hate Dick Vitale more than any other. He's the only guy who actually stops me from watching the game. I don't like watching a game on mute, and I start screaming at the tv telling him to shut the fukc up when he's on, so I just turn it off.

ripdog
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
I have to nominate Bob Costas. His team would do a pre-game story about one of the teams or players (or some other item that nobody cared about), then his announcing team would spend the entire game trying to find analogies within the game that supported the premise of their story. Walton is a steaming pile too.

As far as the M's go, my favorite announcing moment of all time happened when a ball was fouled into the announcing booth, right at Niehaus apparently. He starts saying "I got it, I got it..." Then you hear a crash and some muffled talking. Dave Valley tried to poach the ball from him and wound up crushing him in the process. When they mic up again, Niehaus is bitching at Valley, Valley is laughing hysterically. Priceless.

sfer
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Ralph Kiner has been senile for 20 years.

Joe826
05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
http://www.deterrent.org/bw.jpg

FishNChips
05-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Broadcast Team that I hate the most:

The Sunday Night Football guys:
Theisman / McGwuire / the moran that does the play by play.

"Watch this now, I mean you want to talk about a guy that can't tell his ass from a hole in the ground."

These guys are so bad that my wife actually mutes the TV when I'm watching them so she doesn't have to listen to me BITCH about how aweful they are. How do these guys stay on TV? I know, McGuire is pretty good at guessing 1st down or not. Perhaps I'm too quick to dismiss them. Too bad that LT didn't rip Theisman's vocal cords out instead of snapping his leg like a toothpick.

Walton is pretty freakin' aweful too, but I don't watch the NBA so I don't care.

I'm pretty spoiled though because I grew up with the Holy Trinity of broadcasting : Vin Scully (Dodgers) / Chick Hearn (Lakers) / Bob Miller (LA Kings) .. all 3 are/were the best in the biz.

FishNChips

trotski
05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
M's announcers are absolutley abysmal, kind of embarrasing at some points, except for Niehaus of course. Rizzs makes every opposing team out sound like it's the bottom of the ninth in the world series. and don't even get me started on Dave Valle and Dave Henderson. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I actually heard Walton say that Jerome James had a beautiful body during one broadcast last year, he is dreadful.

youtalkfunny
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vin Scully (Dodgers) / Chick Hearn (Lakers) / Bob Miller (LA Kings) .. all 3 are/were the best in the biz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scully = Best
Hearn = Best
Miller = HOF'er, but not best.

But that's just a nit-pick. No city can boast a trio like that one.

(BTW, I don't get to watch much football, but I *like* the SNF crew. I might feel differently if I watched them every single week, since they all have the hyped dialed up to 11.)

FishNChips
05-23-2005, 02:54 PM
your quibble with Miller is duly noted. I can't say that I've heard enough others to say he's the best so I won't argue, but yes, he is HOF worthy.

You like the SNF guys? Oh god, stop the world, I want to get off. Seroiusly, these guys are just plain aweful!!!!!

FishNChips

Jack of Arcades
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Joe Morgan isn't an idiot most of the time, but he tends to go off on stupid, pointless, and frustrating diatribes that makes me hate him.

He's very good when breaking down the mechanics of a game, same as Harold Reynolds. When they try to do any sort of strategy/statistical evaluation, it's really bad.