PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to release large amounts of ladybugs in public places?

kurosh
05-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Is it illegal to release large amounts of ladybugs in public places? What about in someone's yard? Their car?

wacki
05-22-2005, 05:26 PM
This can be a species specific question as some forms of ladybugs are considered pests.

Rushmore
05-22-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it illegal to release large amounts of ladybugs in public places? What about in someone's yard? Their car?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a nickel for every time I wondered this...

Klepton
05-22-2005, 06:04 PM
in college one of my dorm buddies planted 5 crickets in my dorm room. He was arrested and convicted, and sentenced to 6 months in prison.

that'll teach him.

Glenn
05-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Isn't that what Al Capone went down for?

Ray Zee
05-22-2005, 06:15 PM
you can buy them for release in your yard or garden. i dont know about your state though.
if you do it to get someone, you may be guilty of a mistomenor for mischief or something like that. dont get caught.

kurosh
05-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Is this (http://gardeningzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_61_63&products_id=121) considered a pest?

What if I released say... 20,000 in my backyard? What if I walked into a large store with 5000 ladybugs underneath my shirt, tore my shirt off and started screaming about the alien ladybug chestbursters? What if I route a tube underneath someone's front door to a bag full of ten thousand termite-trained ladybugs? What if?!!

kurosh
05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Please to be ignoring the massive writing style and vocabulary change of my last post. I am a bit sky-bound.

Blackjack
05-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Haha that would be a decent senior prank. Bring a backpack full of lady bugs and release them at graduation in the student seats. People would go nuts.

jakethebake
05-22-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've bought them to let go in my yard to rid it of certain pests. I'm not sure why you'd do it otherwise. It wou;ldn't be a very good prank since most people like them.

kurosh
05-22-2005, 07:53 PM
You think people would like opening their car door to find 20,000 ladybugs, half of them murdered by the sweltering heat or, conversely, frozen by the icy chill of winter, fluttering around?

Blackjack
05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
That's definitely gotta be illegal. How'd you put the [censored] in their car in the first place?

Blackjack

jakethebake
05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You think people would like opening their car door to find 20,000 ladybugs, half of them murdered by the sweltering heat or, conversely, frozen by the icy chill of winter, fluttering around?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't like the dead ones. But I wouldn't mind otherwise. They'd eventually all fly out.

SuitedSixes
05-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Everybody likes ladybugs, but if you switch to crickets . . . well, that's something different.

Whatever you're doing, use crickets. (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_Supplies/Product/Crickets_930105A.html)

wacki
05-22-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this (http://gardeningzone.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_61_63&products_id=121) considered a pest?

What if I released say... 20,000 in my backyard? What if I walked into a large store with 5000 ladybugs underneath my shirt, tore my shirt off and started screaming about the alien ladybug chestbursters? What if I route a tube underneath someone's front door to a bag full of ten thousand termite-trained ladybugs? What if?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladybugs are benificial in all cases. However some bite and the oriental ladybugs invade houses when it gets cold. Some towns have ordinances against uses imported ladybugs.

kurosh
05-22-2005, 08:13 PM
It's between ladybugs and praying mantises.

TimTimSalabim
05-22-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll betcha there are a lot of gentlemanbugs out there who would like to know the answer.

fimbulwinter
05-22-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not this thread again

fim

jakethebake
05-23-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody likes ladybugs, but if you switch to crickets . . . well, that's something different.

Whatever you're doing, use crickets. (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_Supplies/Product/Crickets_930105A.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. For the op's purpose, this is a much better idea.

Vavavoom
05-23-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll betcha there are a lot of gentlemanbugs out there who would like to know the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is some funny sh*t....

M2d
05-23-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
You'd have a nickle?

KungFuSandwich
05-24-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But look at the price difference, You can get 3000 ladybugs for the price of 500 crickets.

Obviously 1 cricket > 1 ladybug but IMO 6 ladybugs >or= 1 Cricket. Plus they can fly, which would make them harder to catch.

I dont think anyone would like 3000 bugs of any type in their car

jakethebake
05-24-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But look at the price difference, You can get 3000 ladybugs for the price of 500 crickets.

Obviously 1 cricket > 1 ladybug but IMO 6 ladybugs >or= 1 Cricket. Plus they can fly, which would make them harder to catch.

[/ QUOTE ]

But 1 cricket is the size of several ladybugs and they're NOISY. The noise factor alone makes them the better choice.

SuitedSixes
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But 1 cricket is the size of several ladybugs and they're NOISY. The noise factor alone makes them the better choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you want squish factor too. If you step on a ladybug, or even a couple of dozen, you don't notice. Step on a cricket, and that gets your attention. Crickets, man, crickets!