PDA

View Full Version : Computer project - Data accumulation

microbet
05-22-2005, 03:11 PM
What do people call your pushes with?

What is the average $EV diff between limping with hooks UTG or raising?

Empirical look at ICM?

If someone, possibly me, put up a web site that let you anonymize and submit HHs, would you do this?

Would you pay something to be able to query the data? (it would cost something to host)

sofere
05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I would pay for this services but not much. Perhaps a deal that a certain amount of HHs donated = X amount of free usage.

BradleyT
05-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I think you'll run out of sql disk space way too quick.

microbet
05-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't charge much. It is a lousy business model. I would just want to have it pay for itself - it could end up taking up a fair amount of computer resources.

I think just having subscribers split the costs might be good.

microbet
05-22-2005, 03:21 PM
I'd certainly anticipate the possibility that it could require more than one hard drive.

Atropos
05-22-2005, 03:22 PM
"Would you pay something to be able to query the data? (it would cost something to host)"

Of course I would, quite a good idea!

BradleyT
05-22-2005, 03:24 PM
One of the 2nd group of packages on the list would be more than enough to run linux + PostgreSQL (it supports unlimited DB size) on the same server and handle every poster on here hammering away at it.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/pentium4_series.asp but not sure how much you're willing to spend since you'd probably lose money the first month or so till you got more members.

Maulik
05-22-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would pay for this services but not much. Perhaps a deal that a certain amount of HHs donated = X amount of free usage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this, I'd probably pay for these services for $50+5 tournies and greater

deathpotato
05-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I would pay for this and submit, provided the histories were anonymized.

microbet
05-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I have access to a linux/mysql system and could start the project there without any incrimental cost. I would just have to pay when/if it got the point that the DB needed to be moved to it's own machine(s).

microbet
05-22-2005, 09:35 PM
One bump.

Newt_Buggs
05-22-2005, 10:37 PM
lol, lets just invent every weapon possible the gut the fish. I would still support this though since it could provide some interesting information

dfscott
05-23-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do people call your pushes with?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I'm particularly interested in, because I suspect a lot of my ICM calcs are off due to not having correct calling ranges.

Yep, I'd definitely fork out some jack for this.

valenzuela
05-23-2005, 12:49 AM
I like the calling range idea u have, calling ranges are very tough and a database would be cool. Oh and maybe we could see if its proftiable to limp on the sb with any 2 on level 1.

Degen
05-23-2005, 12:59 AM
people are cheap

it would take awhile before most people decided to fork over the money.

however there are lots of ways to make money off of a free website.

banners, text ads, google ads, affiliate programs etc. etc.

pm me if you need some help with this, but its pretty easy.

Andre

microbet
05-23-2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty busy so it will be slow going. I really don't think there is any posibility of this being a real money maker. I just don't want to have to pay for hosting by myself, especially if it ends up needing more than one machine.

I've got a big project due May 31st. After that I'll set up a bulletin board or something for it and start discussing database design.