PDA

View Full Version : AQs Common Early Tourney Situation

lehighguy
05-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Please only respond if you play 50s or higher, 10s are an obvious call.

This comes up so much it hurts. Please help.

Hero has AQs in UTG+1. BB=30 (lvl 2)

UTG limps, hero raises to 120, sb calls, bb calls, UTG calls.

Flop: Ad, Jc, 4d
Pot: 480
Check to hero, hero bets 250, sb calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: 4s
Pot: 980
SB bets all in (600), hero?

adanthar
05-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Easiest call ever.

hummusx
05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm not raising with AQs UTG+1 behind a limper at this level.

As to the question, I don't see a fish with A2 pushing on the turn. Based on how he's been playing so far, I expect A2 to just check/call to the end. I think it's more likely that you are beat in this situation and should just fold and save your chips for a better spot.

adanthar
05-22-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As to the question, I don't see a fish with A2 pushing on the turn. Based on how he's been playing so far, I expect A2 to just check/call to the end. I think it's more likely that you are beat in this situation and should just fold and save your chips for a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

hahahaha
haha
ha

OK, I'm done. Does everyone see why this forum is weak/tight now?

Jebus, give me a table full of you people every time I play. Please.

jgunnip
05-22-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't raise preflop but you have to call this.

hummusx
05-22-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

hahahaha
haha
ha

OK, I'm done. Does everyone see why this forum is weak/tight now?

Jebus, give me a table full of you people every time I play. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is my entire commentary that stupid, or just the second half? I guess I ignored the first line of the original post because I play 33s and not 50+.

My logic about someone with A2 went like this: stupid people that will limp A2 here do not make moves like pushing on a scary turn. It doesn't occur to them to try to bluff on a card I might be scared of. So that means one of two things (most of the time): a) they are a fish and they came in with some random holding and probably genuinely hit something and are ahead of you or b) they are NOT a fish. What hands are decent players calling a raise from the SB with, and then calling a pot-sized bet on this flop with?

Maybe something other than 'hahahahahahaha' would be more constructive and useful to educate those of us that are weak-tight.

lehighguy
05-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Agreed.

Pot odds are the only thing that compelled me to want to call here.

StopnGo is a very strong line. If I assume my opponet is at all solid then the best I think I can hope for here is a split pot.

adanthar
05-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Eh, this plus the JJ thread and the AA thread just makes for a horrible sequence back to back.

Limping is *OK*. It's not the greatest thing in the world and I would usually (not always) raise, but it's OK.

However, most of the reason it's OK is because of people who can't put you on AQ and push A9o when their kicker becomes a jack on the turn.

PS: Everyone at an 800 chip tourney that isn't a 2+2'er (and some of them, too) are fish. They may be slightly smaller than the typical 500 pound bass but they're still fish and they will make moves like calling OOP, then pushing KdJd and A9o here *all the damn time*.

kiffl
05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
I think you should raise to 90 preflop if you are going to raise, 120 is a bit much. Its an easy all in call on the turn though.

hummusx
05-22-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PS: Everyone at an 800 chip tourney that isn't a 2+2'er (and some of them, too) are fish. They may be slightly smaller than the typical 500 pound bass but they're still fish and they will make moves like calling OOP, then pushing KdJd and A9o here *all the damn time*.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the fist half of the statement. At least at the level I'm playing though, those hands are much, MUCH more likely to push the flop or just call you down. I really almost never see the stop and go on the flop/turn.

lehighguy
05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
The cold call preflop and StopnGo are what freak me out. These lines are what scare me.

If there was no J I would call, as another likely push hand AJ loses to me. However, given the line my opponet has taken the lowest possible hand I could ever see him having is A10.

I put him on either AK, AJ, JJ, or A4s (in that order).

Also, note this is 55s. At 10s-30s anything goes. He could have 2s.

lehighguy
05-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Since I'm in EP and have a limper I want to isolate them. To a certain extent it worked since I got the button. The last thing I want to to hit my ace on a scary board and get raised behind me on the turn.