PDA

View Full Version : AJ against tightie, A on board

thesharpie
05-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Villain turned out to be about 15/9.5 over 90 hands but I think he was 11/9 over 30 hands when this hand happened.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

Limp preflop, or does his likely weak tightness postflop make up for raising this? And should I check the turn/call a river bet, or should I just check the river behind?

Kumubou
05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Limping/raising AJo is probably one of those razor-thin decisions that probably does not matter much in the end. You could probably mix it up 50/50 and be fine.

Of course you should bet the river. You have no reason to think that the 4 is anything other than a brick. Folding to the checkraise is another matter; as I can not remember the last time I was checkraised on the river and ended up good. Are you good here 18% of the time? Probably not; but I can't blame anyone for calling lest the opponent show down 74o and you go on a kitten killing spree.

-K

Yako
05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, let's see what beats you... AA, AK, A4, A3, 66, 44, 33, and any 6.
Based on his pf stats, he would have raised AA, AK, and he wouldn't play A4 or A3 unless they were suited. As well, a hand with any 6 is very unlikely. You are getting 8:1 to call the river raise. You don't think you're good that often? Dude, it's an EASY call.

thesharpie
05-22-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course you should bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind he's not a regular fish who will call down with K high. He's real tight and I think my only chance is if he has something like ATs or a pocket pair. He does have a high PFR so it makes you wonder why he'd limp an ace that beats me.

thesharpie
05-22-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, let's see what beats you... AA, AK, A4, A3, 66, 44, 33, and any 6.
Based on his pf stats, he would have raised AA, AK, and he wouldn't play A4 or A3 unless they were suited. As well, a hand with any 6 is very unlikely. You are getting 8:1 to call the river raise. You don't think you're good that often? Dude, it's an EASY call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much rather check the turn behind against this opponent if I'm going to call his river check raise.

He's not the type of player to check call some middle pocket pair all the way and suddenly check raise the river after I've bet every street, not even 1 in 8 times.

thesharpie
05-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Bumpy.

adsman
05-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Do you have any reads on villian apart from stats? Have you seen him bluff? What about his checkraising standards? This fold is very opponent based. If he is good then I think he was trying to fcuk with you. I would call this for these reasons;

1. A good player will take a note that you fold to a river c/r after betting the entire hand and use that against you.

2. Other players on the table might do the same, even if they aren't that good.

3. If you haven't seen villian pull this before then I want to know what he had so I can make a note of it.

@bsolute_luck
05-23-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind he's not a regular fish who will call down with K high. He's real tight and I think my only chance is if he has something like ATs or a pocket pair. He does have a high PFR so it makes you wonder why he'd limp an ace that beats me.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why not just simply check behind on the river? a limp from a tight player UTG usually is a good hand. once it's HU, there's no point in him raising you anywhere along the way. that said, if you're going to bet the river, i'd have called his raise.

btspider
05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
i'd call and expect to win my fair share.

bozlax
05-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I've seen this play a lot, recently. On the river, you're not going to get called by a worse hand (he's tight, remember), and if you get raised, well, you got raised, how do you feel about it? Check behind on this river.

Since you bet, call his raise. I think there's a pretty good chance he's trying to a) push you off with a high mid pair like 99/TT, or b) push you off with ace-rag suited. If nothing else you get to find out what kind hand he'd play this way for the next 60 hands.

Oh, and I think I'm limping PF against a tight PF limper in EP with this.

AmarilloJim1
05-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Personally, I would have not raised pre-flop; however, I would have called the river bet.