PDA

View Full Version : Random Act of Kindness

ttleistdci
05-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Everyone has their own views on the homeless, but this is something I just saw that I thought was pretty cool.

A homeless guy, and a couple bags of stuff he has, are leaned up against a store that isn't open today. I see a guy, maybe late 20s, early 30s, walk up to him. "Hey buddy, how'd ya end up homeless?" He said it in a way that either he was writing some kind of research paper on the homeless or he really cared to know what happened to this guy. I didn't hear the answer, but I walked closer pretending to be doing something else so I could hear what they were saying.
The middle aged guy hands him $10. "I know it's not much, and it's not gonna make all the difference in the world, but if you're hungry later maybe you can grab something."
Obviously appreciative, the homeless guy accepts the $10. I didn't hear what he said to this, but the middle aged guy responded, "Yeah, but it takes a much bigger man to take the money."
They wished each other well and that was that.

Not something you see every day. The homeless guy wasn't on the side of the road begging and he wasn't even really asking for money. He was just leaned up against a door at the end of a plaza, out of everyone's way.

I just thought it was pretty cool that this guy goes out of his way to try and make this homeless guy's day a little bit better.

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 12:45 PM
when i see homeless people on the side of the street, i chuck AOL 5.0 discs at them frisby style. you know, in case they need some free internet access for their computers.

balkii
05-22-2005, 01:26 PM
how many tall cans of steel reserve do you think this guy bought with those 10$?

Eihli
05-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah but he'd have felt pretty stupid if the guy wasn't homeless.

WSUchica
05-22-2005, 02:02 PM
I think that's such a cool story, I always hesitate when I'm downtown to give beggars money. I'm not really sure why, I guess I always hear about the bad things they do with it (aka buying alcohol or relying on people's generosity rather than actually going out and getting a job) but I don't even know how often those things actually happen, and I'm sure that middle-aged man had a wonderful day after that, just knowing how he could have helped the homeless guy

-Skeme-
05-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Some bum asked me for some spare change at 7-Eleven last week. I asked him what he was going to buy with it and he said food. He was eating some sick slice of pizza that someone gave him so I agreed. I gave him like $.79 and almost didn't want to cause there was a quarter in there, but whatever.

poker-penguin
05-22-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't like being harassed for money (although to some extent I understand that it's necessary that homeless people are quite aggressive if they want their solicitations to be effective). Don't try and guilt trip me you ****ers.

This goes for charity collectors too, there's a very fine line they walk between doing good (getting me to give money) and doing evil (p**sing me off) in the name of good.

And the "middle aged guy" was right - it does take a big man to accept unasked for charity. Plus, it doesn't hurt to be nice, if you're giving the guy $10, don't be a dick about it, otherwise you're not doing anything good.

balkii
05-22-2005, 02:28 PM
One time, this guy Cripple McShirtless came up, and said, "Spare some change for two sandwiches?" And I thought, two sandwiches? Thats kind of a lot to ask for.

arod4276
05-22-2005, 02:33 PM
not if you havent eaten in a week,,,arod4276

shadow29
05-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I get approached by guys a lot when I go downtown.

If I have time, I take them to McDonald's, tell them to order whatever they want, then pay the bill.

This way I'm helping people and I know they're not buying drugs.

Sometimes they give me free lessons on how to walk down the street and not get mugged. Quite enlightening, actually.

Sephus
05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One time, this guy Cripple McShirtless came up, and said, "Spare some change for two sandwiches?" And I thought, two sandwiches? Thats kind of a lot to ask for.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good time to buy a loaf of bread, spread it out on the ground in front of the homeless person, and stomp every slice. greedy bastard.

GuyOnTilt
05-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Nice to see you guys are again proving this forum is full of self-centered dicks.

GoT

jakethebake
05-22-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes they give me free lessons on how to walk down the street and not get mugged. Quite enlightening, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like getting "How Not to Get Raped" lessons from a 600-pound crosseyed midget.

mostsmooth
05-22-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
spare change for 2 sandwiches is a great deal, do you think he would come through with the sandwiches for you if you gave him the change?

Sponger15SB
05-22-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how many tall cans of steel reserve do you think this guy bought with those 10$?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things about homeless:

1)In my town the homeless line up at 8AM to buy booze when the markets open.
2) Here is the exchange that I see many many times...

"god bless you, can you spare some change"
"sorry man"
"AHH [censored] YOU SPOILED BRAT!!!!!!!"

http://www.ucsbdailynexus.com/story_images/2003-06-25/jh25ju03hmless-hthcare.jpg
Yarrrrrrr!

Lawrence Ng
05-22-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get approached by guys a lot when I go downtown.

If I have time, I take them to McDonald's, tell them to order whatever they want, then pay the bill.

This way I'm helping people and I know they're not buying drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, karma comes around.

Lawrence

gunt
05-22-2005, 10:43 PM
that 10 bucks the guy gave to the bum went right into a bag of heroin.
i live in vegas and the bums out here shoot too high... they ask for a couple of bucks. My roomate was offered a plastic bag of fried chicken if he would give this bum a ride somewhere... weird.

Stuey
05-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Who cares if the guy buys drugs or booze with the money. The OP is saying how seeing someone do this made him feel good. Hell I feel good hearing about it. Nice to know some people are still acting human. I know I haven't been.

Klepton
05-22-2005, 11:57 PM
the PIRATE!

have you ever seen him drink from his eye?

i gave him 5 bucks for it

Stork
05-23-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like getting "How Not to Get Raped" lessons from a 600-pound crosseyed midget.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't post here much, but this was awesome.

tbach24
05-23-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when i see homeless people on the side of the street, i chuck AOL 5.0 discs at them frisby style. you know, in case they need some free internet access for their computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read this 5 times now, and every time I crack up at the last line. NH

TStoneMBD
05-23-2005, 12:08 AM
thanks, but i think jake owned me here

tbach24
05-23-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks, but i think jake owned me here

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake's was very funny, but the imagery on your's is what makes it so great. First someone throwing a disc at a homeless guy, then them taking it to a computer (all gruffy and gross) and installing it and browsing the web. I'm laughing just thinking about it

Blarg
05-23-2005, 03:24 AM
Late 20's or maybe 30 is middle-aged?

I've just been PWND.

Blarg
05-23-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things about homeless:

1)In my town the homeless line up at 8AM to buy booze when the markets open.
2) Here is the exchange that I see many many times...

"god bless you, can you spare some change"
"sorry man"
"AHH [censored] YOU SPOILED BRAT!!!!!!!"

http://www.ucsbdailynexus.com/story_images/2003-06-25/jh25ju03hmless-hthcare.jpg
Yarrrrrrr!

[/ QUOTE ]

You've just described 90% of the people who ask me for money. Except that they usually toss in a free racial slander against me for being white, too.

All they do is train people never to give money to them or anyone who could even possibly construed as somewhat like them again.

theredpill5
05-23-2005, 04:46 AM
There's a guy in my city who hangs out at the off ramp of a major highway . I gave him the $1 I had in quarters sitting in my car but 3 weeks later I get off the highway only to see him still there collecting change. Then 2 months later, I still him there collecting change on the same off-ramp. I guess he was doing pretty well.