PDA

View Full Version : Yoda' Inconsistency

Shaman
05-22-2005, 10:45 AM
In episode 1, Yoda kept insisting that Anakin, who was around 10 years old, was too old to train. Yet in episode 5, he willingly trains the 19 some year old Luke.

jstnrgrs
05-22-2005, 10:47 AM
I think this shows that in ep 1, Yoda still had much to learn.

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 10:49 AM
in episode 5 yoda tells obiwan that luke is too old to be trained but obiwan says hes not and yoda decides to trust his judgment.

OldYoda
05-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Yoda was wise - he knew that Luke would cause a great disturbance in the force.

Dynasty
05-22-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this shows that in ep 1, Yoda still had much to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, is simply willing to change.

Yoda watched almost all the jedi get killed off doing things the old ways. By the time of the events of The Empire Strikes Back, he's the only one left.

Become more flexible, I must become.

CallMeIshmael
05-22-2005, 12:29 PM
It was all about options.

- There were many Jedi being trained at the time of Anakin. He could afford to not risk training Anakin.

- At the time of Luke the options were very limited. He had to risk Luke falling for the chance of what happened.

Apples and oranges.

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Would Yoda really say "Become more flexible, I must become."

I think the correct translation is "Become more flexible, I must."

jcmack13
05-22-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would Yoda really say "Become more flexible, I must become."

I think the correct translation is "Become more flexible, I must."

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think when he said, "Not, if anything about it to say, I HAVE!" In Ep III while fighting Palpatine was a bit much? Made me cringe and long for the succint Yoda of "Wars not make one great" or "Do, or do not. There is no try."

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 05:14 PM
well how would you like his line against palpatine to be reworded? "have anything to say about it, Not if I." "anything to say about it, Not if I have."

i dont think theres a better wording for the one they already used.

as for yoda miquotes, there is a line in attack of the clones when everyone is chasing duku on their ships. i dont remember the exact quote unfortunately, but yoda didnt use his dialect right in one of the sentences.

peachy
05-22-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In episode 1, Yoda kept insisting that Anakin, who was around 10 years old, was too old to train. Yet in episode 5, he willingly trains the 19 some year old Luke.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinkin the same thing too when i rewatched the orignials...maybe its b/c hes thier last hope?? but it did bother me /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Punker
05-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Was it "To the forward command center, take me"? That line always seemed silly to me.

jedi
05-23-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He insisted that Luke too old in Episode 5. The only reason he trained Luke was because he was the last hope for the Jedi. And even then, Luke almost screws that one up.

maryfield48
05-23-2005, 02:28 PM
This (http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-0505170253may17,1,6089098.story?ctrack=3&cset=true ) is an article in the Chicago Trib about Yoda's syntax, and here (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002173.html) is a more satisfying expansion on the first article by the linguist who the Trib reporter used as a source.