PDA

View Full Version : 120+30 final table hand, push or fold on turn

Atarirob
05-22-2005, 05:15 AM
I thought this was the right move to make, but a few people thought i was nuts.

20 person, two table tourn. With only top 3 spots getting paid. I made it to the final table, I have 2500 in chips, but with the blinds at 100-200 with a 25 dollar ante I'm looking for a double up.

The guy under the gun made it 700, it gets folded all the way around to me in the CO and I call with Ah Qh, SB calls and its 3 way between us. Flop came, Kd, Th, 3d. SB checks, UTG checks and I checked. Flop came xh, SB checks, UTG makes it another 700. I decided to push all in, SB folds. Now I play with the guy UTG and he plays with me a bit. I was quite sure that he had none of the board. If he had hit the flop he would have bet to get rid of the diamond draw. The turn came a total blank which he bet out with. I was figuring maybe he had the same hand I did, or an under pair. Which still left me the flush draw, straight draw, and two overs.

Do you think this play was good on my part? If I folded to his bet I was only down to like 1800 in chips. Well below the average stack.

Results in white

<font color="white">He called after thinking about it for 2-3 minutes. He had pocket 9s. Flop came a Js giving me the straight, and a bit of bitching by a few people. Are they right or just baffoons?</font>

Lloyd
05-22-2005, 12:10 PM
You have 9 outs to the nut flush, 2 outs to the nut straight, and 1 out to the likely nut straight (J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif). While I wouldn't rule out that he has QQ-JJ or AQ-AJ, I also think he could have AA,KK,TT or AK and be slow playing. He could be on a complete bluff or have something like 99 or AT but let's not include those for now. I don't think he would have something like KQ as I think he would lead out on the flop with that.

So if I'm counting correctly you have 15 outs against QQ, 9 outs against AQ (or tied),13 outs against JJ, are way ahead of AJ, 12 outs against AA or AK, and 10 outs against KK or TT.

Against that entire range of hands, presuming he calls, you're actually a very, very slight favorite. Now factor in that he might be on a semi-bluff with something like 99, or that he would likely fold a hand like JJ or QQ and I think it becomes +EV to push.

You did leave out the size of your opponent's stack and that could factor into this equation as if he has a big stack he's less likely to lay down a hand like JJ.

Lloyd
05-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Very funny about what he actually had. If one of his cards is a /images/graemlins/heart.gif you are a 3-2 dog. You're betting T1800 to win T3200 (plus your T1800) which is good enough odds to do this even if you knew what he had. I can't believe he made this call. He either has a lot of gamble or read you very well.

Atarirob
05-22-2005, 03:02 PM
After he called my all-in bet it only left him with 750 in chips. He's played with me enough to know that if I had a sniff of the flop I would have made a stab at it.

JC_Saves
06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
What would he raise utg with? AA, KK, AK, QQ, AQ, AJ, JJ, TT, ???

I think you either reraise this hand PF to all-in or you should have folded it. if you call and then get a flop like this why check it. Push then for max FE, and you still have outs.