PDA

View Full Version : Number of buy-ins when playing SnG’s

sunek
05-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Number of buy-ins when playing SnG’s

Hi

I am sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked many times before, but my search in the two plus two archives didn’t answer my question. What would be an appropriate number of buy-ins if you play micro limit SnG’s where most opponents are super loose and quite aggressive.

The reason I ask is that I have found a poker site where it is possible (in theory anyway) to build a bankroll scratch. This is done by playing free single table SnGs where the first three places places gets 0.02, 0.03 and 0.05 $. With 0.05 $ it is possible to play a 0.04+0.01 SnG where the first price is 0.2 $. They also provide 0.1+0.01, 0.25+0.02 … 100+5 $ SnGs.

So it should be possible to build a bankroll from scratch. I should add that I play these SnG for fun I know that there are easier ways to earn money by playing poker, but I see this as a nice challenge.

My prior experiences with SnGs are approximately 100 5+1 and 10+1 NL at Paradise, Party, Pacific and Empire where I am a slight winner.

My guess is that around 6 times buy-in should be sufficient before moving up to next level of SnG. How does this sound? Is that a bit optimistic?

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards

sunek

lastchance
05-22-2005, 04:38 AM
6 times buy-in is incredibly optimistic, but you're not really afraid of losing your BR, right? And I think the .4+.1 offer terrible rake, I'd skip straight to the $.1+$.01.

Normally, you want at least 30 times buy-in, 50 times buy-in if you're afraid of losing your BR. Considering the stakes you're playing at, 15-20 times buy-in should be sufficient.

Freudian
05-22-2005, 04:44 AM
My biggest drop was ~40. Have had three ~20 drops also. And there is no real reason why that 40 couldn't have turned into 50 or even 60, despite me being a winning player. I was for the most part playing winning poker when dropping those buyins.

I think 30 buyins is fine as long as you are prepared to drop down a limit when the going gets rough. If you are a winning player you will build bankroll enough to take the bumps of variance.

Since you are doing this for free and for learning, I think you can move up levels faster in the beginning. The worst that can happen is that you lose those few cents. I would recommend at least 10 buying and you moving down a level once you have below 5 buyins. At a certain level ($5/10/20 or whatever) you will need ~30 buyins.

BradleyT
05-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Man, deposit $50 at this site and play the $5 SnG's instead of spending 100 hours to win $8.

Even at 10% ROI (which is a joke) it'd take you 10 freebie wins to get that $.50, and you should easily be making that per SnG at the $5's.

sunek
05-22-2005, 05:42 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Man, deposit $50 at this site and play the $5 SnG's instead of spending 100 hours to win $8.

Even at 10% ROI (which is a joke) it'd take you 10 freebie wins to get that $.50, and you should easily be making that per SnG at the $5's.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that it can take 100 hours to earn to the first 8 $. However it is not a question about money – my daytime job pays 5000 $ a month, it is the challenge to make money from nothing I find interesting.

- sunek

BradleyT
05-22-2005, 05:48 AM
Well since you have the money available make a $100 deposit and challenge yourself to get that up to $500 playing the $5 and $10 SnGs.

pergesu
05-22-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is the challenge to make money from nothing I find interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you have to win 20 tourneys just to afford something off Wendy's dollar menu (tax excluded), you're not making money.

You've got enough cash that you can make a deposit and play real tourneys. That's your best course of action.

I don't know what advice anyone can give. Doesn't seem like you have any questions here, just looks like you're notifying everyone that it's possible to make a nickel/tourney. Which I guarantee nobody cares about.

Edit: nm, I saw the question. It's about buyins. Well, since 6x buyins for the .1 + .01 is 66 cents...can't say it matters too much. 1 buyin, 100 buyins, it's all the same.

valenzuela
05-22-2005, 12:58 PM
are u over 18?Anyway I tried playinng the 55s with 8 buy-ins...didnt go so well, so I suggest you find somebody to give u free money( ive found someone already 3 times!)

sunek
05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
are u over 18?Anyway I tried playinng the 55s with 8 buy-ins...didnt go so well, so I suggest you find somebody to give u free money( ive found someone already 3 times!)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I am over 18. I don't understand the rest of your posting. Playing the 55s? I am not sure what you refer to when you talk about getting free money - I have received 10 $ from some sites after having signed up as a new member but with out depositing any money. Is that what you are talking about?
If you know any poker sites that gives away money for free please let me know.

-sunek

valenzuela
05-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Ppl have send me free money to my accounts Im being serious, no kidding. You just have to serach for them

sunek
05-22-2005, 03:03 PM
it is the challenge to make money from nothing I find interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
[...]
I don't know what advice anyone can give. Doesn't seem like you have any questions here, just looks like you're notifying everyone that it's possible to make a nickel/tourney. Which I guarantee nobody cares about.

Edit: nm, I saw the question. It's about buyins. Well, since 6x buyins for the .1 + .01 is 66 cents...can't say it matters too much. 1 buyin, 100 buyins, it's all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well since you answered the posting you I guess you care in some way. Anyway if you have nothing to say when you post then don’t post. An answer like the one you just gave doesn’t exactly leave the impression that you are the brightest bulb in the package. I can guarantee you that nobody cares about airhead answers.

Best regards

sunek

sunek
05-22-2005, 03:06 PM
So if I have a neteller account and I want free money what do I do and how much money is it possible to get?

BradleyT
05-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I can tell by these posts (you make $5,000 a month from your job but you won't even deposit $100) that you're too much of a tightass to ever make any decent money from poker.

valenzuela
05-22-2005, 03:13 PM
It doesnt work like that.Ill tell how i earned my accounts.
1)In rec.poker I found this guy offering money, he gave me 20 bux for prima poker.The guy made my account.
2)In cardplayer.com i posted 30 times and played on a freeroll I came up 40th out of 280 and won 15 bux.
3)In a fish forum a guy offered money, I accepted and he gave me 25 bux for party, he created account

Maulik
05-22-2005, 03:21 PM
bottom line, if you want to play STT, you need 30*($10+1) = 310$.

valenzuela
05-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I disagree with you..a $200 bankroll is more than enough in the 11s. If you lose ur money well microbet can lend u the money he promised /images/graemlins/wink.gif,To the OP: I think since ure an adult u can get the bankroll to play on the 11s very easily, and u dont need to waste ur time in the 0,05s. seriously the electricity u spend makes u lose money anyway!!!

NOTE: Im not saying u wont go broke with $200, Im saying that the since losing $200 its not the end of the world, u can play the $11s with $200.

sunek
05-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I can tell by these posts (you make $5,000 a month from your job but you won't even deposit $100) that you're too much of a tightass to ever make any decent money from poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really I have real money accounts at Empire, Pacific, Party and Paradise. I have deposited around 300 $ so far and the accounts contain about 450 $ by now. I just think it is fun to build things up from scratch. I am one of the founders for the company I work in and I think it is in my nature to build something out of nothing. If you don’t understand my (weird?) passion for building things from scratch that’s OK.
BTW I make about 100 $ a month by playing home games and I learned to play hold'em 4 months ago so I think that I am doing OK.

-sunek

valenzuela
05-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Dude I grew up a 2 dollar bankroll on UB, I feel u bro.

adanthar
05-22-2005, 04:13 PM
If you want to grow a roll from scratch as a challenge, play some Prima skin MTT freerolls and mix that in with microlimit overlay tourneys or something similar.

You're not gonna get much good advice out of us about these simply because nobody here has played any of them. I'd guess 10 buyins would be enough 90% of the time but who knows?

Degen
05-22-2005, 04:14 PM
one buy-in

Andre

krabby5
05-22-2005, 05:44 PM
instantbankroll.com

you get $75 at Party

and no...I'm not spamming

sunek
05-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Thank you. It is a nice tip but I have a real money account at Party so I can't use the offer.

-sunek

valenzuela
05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
its easy as saying u dont have anthr acocunt I think

Blarg
05-22-2005, 07:05 PM
To each their own, but this sounds like a much less fun challenge than simply playing SNG's and getting good enough to play at levels that eventually put you in danger of cardiac arrest. The challenge will be greater, not lesser, and you'll put yourself in the position to sample tough play and learn more in a much shorter time span than you will with your little plan. Starting from the 5's and having a goal of playing at the 215's and above is still effectively building up something serious from nothing. Why it has to be EXACTLY nothing I don't know, but it seems a bit anal-retentive to me. Or fanatically risk-averse. Or both. Or just perverse.

Anyway, to each their own, although I think your original question is preposterous. I think in some sense you're putting yourself on, and sharing the wealth by putting us on, too. Basically perverse, again.

beeyjay
05-22-2005, 07:19 PM
My suggestion would be to find a cup you don't use that much. Put it on your desk next to your computer. When you have some spare change in your pockets and youre about to do laundry or whatever throw it in the cup. In a week you'll have like 30,000 buy ins and never go broke EVER.

sunek
05-23-2005, 04:48 AM
Dear Doctor Freud

Thank you for your useful answer.

sunek

sunek
05-23-2005, 05:00 AM
Hi

My suggestion is that you look up the word “challenge” in a dictionary. I believe you will discover that a challenge not necessarily implies a cretin amount of money. As I stated in one of the earlier postings in this thread I do play 5 and 10 $ SnG’s and I do win more than I loose so the challenge is not a matter is not about the amount of money.

I am not sure why I post this since I am quite sure you don’t understand it.

ur2god
05-23-2005, 06:18 AM
this sounds like a retarded idea. go get a job and start at the 10s at partypoker mr 5000/month yea rite

sunek
05-23-2005, 06:48 AM
You sound like a retard yourself Mr. ur2god.

nickianthony
05-23-2005, 10:59 AM
this is kind of nitpicky, but 30 buy-ins at the $11s is actually $330.

revots33
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is true that it can take 100 hours to earn to the first 8 $. However it is not a question about money – my daytime job pays 5000 $ a month, it is the challenge to make money from nothing I find interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you place any monetary value on your TIME? You only get so many hours to live in this life. This seems like a pretty useless way to spend them. After months of playing, and you've turned you're original penny into 5 bucks... who cares?

There's got to be a more rewarding challenge for you to focus your energy on, than this.

Blarg
05-23-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Doctor Freud

Thank you for your useful answer.

sunek

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Doctor Gilligan:

It's a lot more useful than your truly moronic question.

Both your original post and your stupid , fight-picking answers to people seem more and more like pointless masturbatory trolling.

Freudian
05-23-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this sounds like a retarded idea. go get a job and start at the 10s at partypoker mr 5000/month yea rite

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats with the bitching about this? The guy says he wants to freeroll himself up to wherever it takes him. He is fully aware that he might be giving up profit in doing so but feels the entertainment value makes up for it. No reason for any poster here not to respect that.

Blarg
05-23-2005, 09:17 PM
If the inherent absurdity of the question didn't get through to you, even a cursory glance at his responses should.