PDA

View Full Version : Ugly level 3 hand

Atropos
05-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t485)
Button (t145)
SB (t1555)
BB (t1565)
Hero (t820)
MP1 (t1365)
MP2 (t4065)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t145</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t145, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t365) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t175</font>, MP2 calls t175.

Turn: (t715) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero pushes all-in [t500]

I always have big problems if I'm first in the pot and the preflop raiser, because if I bet and get called I dont know what to do and if I check and get bet into neither. If the flop goes check-check and an overcard hits, my hand is dead.
Should I try to get all-in on the flop so that I dont have hard decisions on later streets? Check-Folding seems too weak imo since AKo would often reraise preflop, only KQ/KJ/Flush-Draw seems dangerous.

lastchance
05-22-2005, 04:28 AM
I think the contuination bet is good, but you've got check-fold the turn. The guy's telling you you're beat when he calls the flop, especially when the only draw on the board hits.

Atropos
05-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Ah I forgot one important fact: This was the last 25/50 hand, after that 50/100 would begin. I wanted to check-fold the turn but only saw 500 chips and if the 100 blind hits me and I would have to give it up I would be down to 400 without much fold equity for steals. Is this still a check-fold then?

lastchance
05-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Much, much tougher. I might check flop to get myself out of this situation... But, I guess I'd do what you'd do. Just got to hope the guy's an idiot without a king or the flush?

Atropos
05-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Well he was the big stack and seemed like a smart LAG to me. He doubled up one time when he hit a set, and another time when he called an obscure level2 UTG push with AKo... Then he often called and took away pots from players - at least it seemed to me that way, he didnt show any hands down.

I hoped he had some rags that he would fold like TPNK or a small flush draw, but did not really have a good read on him.

treeofwisdom7
05-22-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the contuination bet is good, but you've got check-fold the turn. The guy's telling you you're beat when he calls the flop, especially when the only draw on the board hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

your saying to check/fold the turn. i find this funny.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NYCNative
05-22-2005, 07:04 AM
If the continuation bet made me feel commited, I would have just gone all-in after the flop to make villain make a tough decision if he was just on a flush draw. His call may have been "I have a king" or it may have been "cool, I am drawing to my flush cheaply."

Alternately, I might have checked the flop and folded to fight another day, knowing I possibly laid down the best hand (but also knowing that I might have also been behind). I like the second plan less because it is passive but it leaves you enough at the new blind level to push and have it actually mean something. Plus even if villain has two overs and the flush draw only, he can justify calling and has a strong chance of outdrawing you anyway.

Maybe if he puts in a teaser bet you check-raise him all-in and make him go away.

Not sure which option I like best but I think it's in order... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phil Van Sexton
05-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Push the flop or find a new hobby.

Atropos
05-22-2005, 09:15 AM
"Push the flop"

You mean this is one of those situations where you are either ahead or behind and cant do anything to change it?

Unarmed
05-22-2005, 11:21 AM
I limp PF and push over the top of CO or Button's shove.
I'm folding if anyone else makes a real raise.

Ideal situation is Button pushes his 145 and SB and/or BB call.
You can then come over the top all-in.