PDA

View Full Version : In market for used car-Oldsmobile

Dead
05-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I am looking at an Olds Aurora(1999-2000 maybe). Now I know that Gm phased out Oldsmobile production last year, and that replacements parts will be harder to find. That said, I love this car model, and I would love to get one. The prices are very reasonable, no doubt because GM phased out production of it last year.

What do you guys think?

Would it be stupid to buy an Aurora right now? Would I still be able to find replacement parts for a price not that much marked up from before?

Would mechanics still be able to work on it, if say the transmission died? I know transmissions are normally expensive, but I'm wondering if a 1999 replacement tranny would cost a lot more now that Olds is out of production.

I know very little about cars, so keep that in mind.

purnell
05-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Don't buy a used oldsmobile, unless you're gonna build a lowrider or something. You do not want to drive one every day. I'm saying this because I don't hate you.

edit: For a commuter, something like a camry or similar model from nissan or honda is your best bet.

Dead
05-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Thanks.

Can you elaborate?

And what other car would you recommend I spend 5 grand on?

I just love the exterior and interior of the Aurora.

Would a 2000 Malibu be a better choice?

purnell
05-22-2005, 04:49 AM
I am sour on GM. They just aren't keeping up with the rest of the world when it comes to long-term quality. Since we're talking about a used car, "Buying American" has no meaning. Check "Consumer Reports" magazine for the unsexy nuts and bolts of expected reliability in a used car.

Dead
05-22-2005, 04:50 AM
If I test drive this guy's Aurora that he has listed in the paper, and I like how it feels, and get a mechanic to check it out, then you're saying I still shouldn't buy it? I've driven much crappier American cars for years, and I can handle it.

purnell
05-22-2005, 05:30 AM
It's not like it's gonna instantly fall apart or anything. If you like GM products, they're all pretty much the same mechanically. Perfectly servicable. Get what you like. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: oh yeah. As far as mechanical parts go, oldsmobile pretty much equals chevy pretty much equals pontiac, etc, so if the tranny dies it won't be hard to find a new or rebuilt one.

Dead
05-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice purnell.

Dead
05-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Other thoughts?

DeadIsARetard
05-22-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Other thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are gay.

-DiaR

miajag81
05-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Auroras are nice cars. Ignore the haters and get it if that's what you want.

Dead
05-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks man. I think I will.