PDA

View Full Version : Better line for extracting value?

Atropos
05-22-2005, 04:20 AM
Hey folks, here one hand from my main problem level, level 3:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t945)
SB (t1055)
BB (t1690)
UTG (t2040)
MP1 (t655)
MP2 (t680)
Hero (t935)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, Button calls t175, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t425) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>, Button calls t225.

Turn: (t875) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero pushes all-in [t535]

Is this the best line for extracting value? Against draws it would probably be better to go for the check-raise allin. However when it is checked behind, I bet the turn and get raised on a scare card or out of the blue, I find it very hard to fold, since I have shown no strength at the flop.

Is betting 1/2 pot and then push turn on unthreatening boards ok with the stack sizes given?

Nick B.
05-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Check the turn

Atropos
05-22-2005, 04:34 AM
"Check the turn"

Seems like a good idea, then check-raise allin? Only problem is that I dont check-fold continuation bets on the turn very often, I would have to implement this in my game so that my turn checks arent that easy to read.

What if there was a flush-draw on board or a more realistic straight draw like JT on board or something?

lastchance
05-22-2005, 04:36 AM
I don't think I want to give the straight draw a free card here. It's insanely hard to fold to a 1/2 pot all-in bet on the turn, and I'd make that play.

I think you played this hand perfectly.

Nick B.
05-22-2005, 04:39 AM
You are probably way too aggressive for NL. Aggression is good in limit, but can be dangerous in NL. Have you ever raised pf and checked down all the streets. I noticed your two posts tonight have been bet 1/2 pot flop, push turn. Controlled aggression is what you are aiming for, not reckless aggression.

Nick B.
05-22-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I want to give the straight draw a free card here. It's insanely hard to fold to a 1/2 pot all-in bet on the turn, and I'd make that play.

I think you played this hand perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What straight draw? Somebody cold called on the button and the board is T752r and you have AA, what hand are you trying to push out that wouldn't bet behind you? Any pair would likely bet, and you give an overcards a freebie if he checks behind (drawing dead).

lastchance
05-22-2005, 04:51 AM
98s, K7, 56s, some random top pair hand that doesn't raise (for some reason). Putting people on standards preflop is suicide at the low-levels.

Plus, what hands do you expect to fold after calling t225 on the flop?

I'm not trying to push out any hand, I'm just thinking that getting the chips in on the turn where people think they might have outs is better than on the river, where they don't have outs.

You're obviously ahead here most of the time, right, and so, 3 questions:
1. What hand is going to fold after calling the flop?
2. What hands do you not want to give free cards to?
3. Is opponent likely to call more on turn or river, and will opponent make stab raise? (why the hell would opponent make stab raise after that?)

Assuming opponent's sane (in the party $10+1 definition of sane), he's got 77-AA, AT, or maybe KT.

I think he's calling the turn with all of those, but certainly is willing to go all-in if you check turn, so you'd be right there.

The problem is, people suck way too much to be that sane.

Atropos
05-22-2005, 05:27 AM
"You are probably way too aggressive for NL."

Yes thats certainly true, thats why I stopped playing cash games and picked up on Sit&amp;Gos, because there the variance is acceptable even for high risk players like me.
But I have big problems controlling aggression because the stacks are so small. If one of my bets get called I instantly feel pot committed. If any street goes check-check it's very hard for me to get good reads.

Another problem is that I'm playing in another time zone mostly against Europeans, especially Scandinavians. The scandinavian fish is not the calldown-fish type but rather the uberlag type. Against them I never feel comfortable checking or betting less than 1/2 pot because they could and would push all-in with nothing.

45suited
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't have a problem with this play. Villain obviously has (or thinks he has) "something" and your all-in might be viewed as simply pushing with missed overcards. Given what villain has committed to this pot versus his remaining stack, this will get called quite a bit. Make him put his money in now while he still feels that he has a chance. (This is not to say that I would always go all-in on the turn but I don't want to get too cute and either a) let him catch a free card or b) let him check, miss on the river, and not pay me off.) Just bet the best hand here IMO.

Voltron87
05-22-2005, 12:01 PM
its good. pf raise is good, flop bet is good, and the turn is an easy all in.

Voltron87
05-22-2005, 12:04 PM
ps- there is no other way to play the river, you aren't missing value. the pot is well over the size of your stack, you really don't have too many options in a situation ike this.