PDA

View Full Version : heads up NL

Lunar Tweak
12-09-2002, 06:05 AM
my friend and i are planning on playing a heads up no-limit hold'em game sometime this week. i know that in a full game ur usually looking to hit straights, trips, ect. and hopefully double up your stack, also getting away from hands like AQo. but i'm sure there are many things to consider in a heads up match, mostly one's opponent, but could some of you give me some advice on general strategy?

i know this post is kinda vague, but any comments would be most appreciated. i believe we will have 100 big blinds each to start with.

thx

Lurker
12-10-2002, 09:42 AM

gaylord focker
12-10-2002, 03:42 PM
If you arnt sure, I would seriously consider not playing your friend unless you are playing with money that has little significance to you. If you play him with the intention of waiting to make a set or a nut straight he will probably run over you. Also this question cant be answered without some knowledge of the size of the blinds compared to your stack sizes, and wether or not you are playing with an ante. If its a freeze out, the larger the blinds, the faster you will have to play. However if the blinds are small when compared to your buy ins, you will be able to be more selective and try to catch him with a big hand.

Lunar Tweak
12-10-2002, 07:42 PM
hello,

i think i should clarify some things. this is not that serious of a match....we're using excess change...lol. but we've played in the past, and we take it pretty seriously, for prides sake. i usually win, but i didn't know how much limit differed from no-limit until recently. so before i was simply using my limit heads up knowledge against him before and was wondering how much this would differ from no-limit, like is trapping with top pair kind of equivalent to trapping a set in a full game? i guess u missed it in my first post, we will each have 100 times the big blind, no ante.

and i suppose this would be considered a live game.also, i would like this knowledge for if i ever make it to the final two in a tournament i might have a little idea of what i'm doing..hehe.

thx

gaylord focker
12-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Sorry I missed that in your first post. One hundred times the BB you dont have to play fast at all. Also, if you have top pair with top kicker, there is obviously no greater chance that your oppenent has you beat in no-limit as opposed to limit. You will just have to feel him out and see what kind of hands he raises with, what he is willing to call with, how he reacts to you playing back at him etc. But you certainly dont need trips to put your money in the pot, and if you played like this heads up in a tournament like you said you probably wouldnt last long. Also, with the blinds being only 1/100 of your stack, I would make sure sure didnt go broke going after a pot with nothing in it, as most pots would be very small.