PDA

View Full Version : Rules for discarding in Pineapple

Dynasty
12-09-2002, 02:49 AM
I played some 4-8 H.O.P.E. (Hold'em, Omaha8, Crazy Pineapple, Stud8) today at the Monte Carlo today. I was annoyed at the rule the Monte Carlo used for discarding one of your cards after the flop during the Crazy Pineapple half hour.

During one hand, there was some betting action on the flop. One woman called and discarded. The rest of the players either bet and called until the action was complete but did not discard. Then, the dealer pulled in all the chips. He then burned and turned. At that point, it was brought to the attention of the dealer that only one person had discarded. Because the turn card was down, all hands which still had three cards were declared dead. The one woman who had discarded was awarded the pot.

First, it must be noted that everybody at the table was aware that the discard must be made when you take action on the flop (except me, who was new to the table). However, I think it is a bad policy for the dealer not to request all discards after the flop betting action is complete.

JTG51
12-09-2002, 03:26 AM
I've only played Crazy Pineapple once, in a $30 tournament at Mohegan Sun. They used the same rule. The dealer told us at the start that if you didn't discard before the turn, your hand would be dead. They usually reminded everyone to discard after the flop action though.

I think we were supposed to discard as we acted. I see that in other places, everyone discards after all of the flop action. Is there a standard rule, or does it vary from place to place? I'd think discarding as you act makes position much, much more important.

Randy_Refeld
12-09-2002, 04:23 PM
The only place I have played pineapple is at the Bike. At the Bike the dealer is to announce that you need to discard (should be done as the dealer is pulling in bets) and should then tap the table and burn if nobody stops him.

Randy Refeld

PS You DO inisist that all bets are brought into the pot before dealing the next card don't you?

Vehn
12-09-2002, 09:40 PM
I would kill for a low limit mixed game around here. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Dynasty
12-09-2002, 10:09 PM
The Omaha8 game was great. The table was loaded with "any 4 cards can win" players.

Ed Miller
12-09-2002, 10:49 PM
I've never played O8, but I would assume that "any 4 can win" players donate even more than "any 2" players in Holdem... as there are so many four card combinations that have practically no chance at all of winning either the high or the low... let alone both. Has the Monte Carlo been spreading this game on a regular basis lately? I've never seen it there before... and wouldn't mind spending a few hours donating to it for some fun and a new experience. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Dynasty
12-10-2002, 12:26 AM
I was told that a group of player starts the game on the second Sunday of each month.

Bob T.
12-10-2002, 03:09 AM
Hey Chris,

Would you be up for a home game after the New Year? December is a tough time to organize a game, but after New Years, what is there to do in Minnesota until golf season starts?

Bob T.

brad
12-10-2002, 01:37 PM
couple times ive played pineapple ive always discarded before i act so i cant get screwed like that.

the times when you have a good choice between high and low or top pair or flush or whatever you can always alter and wait and take a chance but i think discard then act is the default.

Vehn
12-10-2002, 10:13 PM
Sure Bob, send me a PM. I have a good friend who is probably interested as well.

Graham
12-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Discarding first unless you have the draw/made hand dilemma might be a bad policy, brad, 'cos the times you wait & see, an astute player could infer - very accurately - from that and the betting action, whether you had a draw or have kept a made hand. Hi-Lo might muddy the waters however. Hopefully not many of them are astute anyway...

G

brad
12-13-2002, 01:20 AM
not really they just know you have a choice between a made hand or big draw.

but say in high only you have like AsKhTs and flop is Axx with 2 spades. if its jammed on flop youre against a set and maybe you wish you wouldve gone with spades.

hard to say ive only played it a couple times and always discarded first and if i get jammed with AK then i just muck if i think im beat. heh