PDA

View Full Version : 'Taken' by Spielberg on SciFi

Clarkmeister
12-09-2002, 02:14 AM
Anyone else following this? My g/f has been watching this religiously so I am catching bits and pieces.

Seems to suck to me. All the characters seem to be either detestible or irritating, and are frequently both. There seem to be some rather gaping plot holes as well. For a 10 movie series, it sure seems to rush us along awful fast.

I'll be glad when its over and I can resume watching Best Damn on FSN every night.

Dynasty
12-09-2002, 03:38 AM
I've been watching it and think it's decent. However, it suffers from the typical Spielberg problems.

It's not uncommon for Spielberg's work to have ridiculous villians and "Taken" is no exception. The bad guys in this story have little internal logic beyond "I do whatever I want".

Spielberg also likes to portray aliens as benevolent while human goverment and military officials are the perpetrators of evil (or at least are stupid and cowardly). "Taken" is loaded with immoral military officials who have no qualms killing their own soldiers for no practical purposes.

Clarkmeister
12-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Yes, the actions of that one military son and father as well as those of the government were the gaping plot flaws I was thinking of.

There just hasn't been a single character that I actually wanted to LIKE.