PDA

View Full Version : Keep on slowplayin'?

suited_ace
05-21-2005, 10:10 PM
What's your turn play here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t2625)
Button (t1530)
SB (t1950)
Hero (t655)
UTG (t1240)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75, UTG folds, Button calls t75.

Turn: (t425) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero?

liucipher
05-21-2005, 10:20 PM
I honestly suck at flop play. But my 2+2 cents:

On the flop: I honestly don't know. I'd probably do something absurd like push because fish like to call absurdity. When an incredible amount of money enters the pot it becomes this sparkly shiny silver thing, and their midpair becomes the f*cking holy grail. In all seriousness, you're pretty short and someone might think it's desperation.

The main problem with slowplaying is exactly what happened: an obvious 4-to-the-straight appeared and you may no longer have the nuts (though J9 is pretty doubtful...). There's also the chance that you're now splitting the pot against a 98s holding.

Maybe bet something stupid like 100 or 150. I wouldn't check because Button looks passive and is no guarantee to make the bet for you.

jgunnip
05-22-2005, 12:51 PM
The question I always ask myself in these types of situations is how do I extract the most chips out of my opponents. However, your stack is small you want to get all your chips in the middle, its just a matter of doing it now or on the river. Your stack is t530 and the pot is t425. I'd probably push the turn and hope one of my opponents see my overbet as a steal attempt. I suppose you could bet 90-100 but unless your opponents are complete morons that is a very suspicious bet that gives your hand away.

hummusx
05-22-2005, 02:25 PM
I think that the pushing and hoping someone makes a stupid call is a bad idea. Sometimes it works, but more often I think you'll just end up with people with worse hands folding. As someone else mentioned, the idea of course is to get all the chips in the middle. You also don't want to give a free card to someone that just picked up the straight or flush draw. So I'd bet a little more than half the pot and hope for a call. At that point they pretty much have to call you on the river.