PDA

View Full Version : Home theater system...

admo415
05-21-2005, 09:43 PM
You got 4K, what do you buy and why?
Need a TV + speakers + DVD player/cd player and so on....

ijwaef
05-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I am very pleased with the home entertainment system I pieced together a couple years ago with 2K. Unfortunately, this pretty much cleaned me out at the time and I have been unable to upgrade/add more pieces.

Front Speakers: A pair of black Boston VR965R's w/ 8" side firing subs, 5" mids and 1" aluminum tweeters (sound absolutely fantastic- clear, crisp, great for watching movies) Cost: $1000 for the pair at Good Guys

No center channel/surround because I don't have the cash now, but I really have no need thanks to the Bostons...I'd really like to get some so I will be waiting for additional answers to your query as well.

CD/DVD Player- Sony DVP-NC655P, it's a 5 disc changer, plays mp3s, copied movies, etc., dolby digital, dts digital out Cost: approx. $200 at Best Buy

Receiver- Sony STR DE885, AM/FM, 100w X 5 (you can upgrade here definitely), dolby digital surround Cost: approx $300

TV- 24" Sony Flatscreen....you should and will go much bigger here, LCD maybe... Cost: $430

Hope this helps. Have fun shopping around; there is alot of great stuff out there.
Can anyone recommend a place where I can get some speakers (15" JBL subs, 15? yrs or so old) reconed? Cost?

TStoneMBD
05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
i just purchased a 53" hitachi rear projection. i havent picked it up yet but id much rather have that then a 20" plasma. id recommend you go with a big tv, or get one of those projectors that go up to like 100" or whatever. these tvs are a real pain though, because if you move away theyre almost impossible to move. thats the nice thing about plasmas, but i hear that they have a shelf life of like 5 years or something ridiculous and their price will drop significantly in a few years. you also cant play video games on them. boooo.

david050173
05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You got 4K, what do you buy and why?
Need a TV + speakers + DVD player/cd player and so on....

[/ QUOTE ]

Need more info. What are you using this for? How big of space do you have? Personally I have a small space (about 12 wall to wall, with furniture you are looking at 10ft viewing distance). I am getting a panasonic plasma, some $1200 home theatre setup, and keeping 500 for the misc cables and stands. If I had more space I might look into a dlp projector

CallMeIshmael
05-21-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you also cant play video games on them. boooo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am planning to buy a plasma for when I go back to school, but was unaware of this.

Did you research it? Is there no device to convert the signal to something a plasma can input?

This news disturbs me greatly. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

(I think either way I have to go plasma.... as you cant bust a 50" rear projection into a dorm room)

Also... nice avatar

admo415
05-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Have a living room about 250ish square feet, 20'' by 12.5''. Using it to make our living room in our apartment pretty nice.

So plasma over projecter or projecter over plasma?

Thanks all for the responses

beta1607
05-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Look into LCD tvs, they have improved their picture quality a lot and are not subject to burn in from video games or other static images like plasmas.

Dubra
05-21-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you also cant play video games on them. boooo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm i dont know what you are talking about here.... we had a 42" plasma in my room the past two years and played video games on it every day..... the picture was AMAZING

Maulik
05-21-2005, 11:25 PM
I boughta pair of speakers from www.av123.com (http://www.av123.com) they are extremely knowledgable. I reccomend calling them if nothing else =]

Dubra
05-21-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look into LCD tvs, they have improved their picture quality a lot and are not subject to burn in from video games or other static images like plasmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly all new games dont sit on one screen, like say your nintendo or something does. if you observe it closely, the background is constantly changing. in addition, many games have screen saver modes if you leave them on in the main screen. even if you leave it on and pause it in the middle of the game, you will notice the background changing. just basing this on personal experience with the Xbox. our plasma was on constantly whether we were in the room or not for about 2 straight years in college and we did not have any problems with screen burning. this was initially something we were worried about, but it turned out to be a nonfactor.

david050173
05-22-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have a living room about 250ish square feet, 20'' by 12.5''. Using it to make our living room in our apartment pretty nice.

So plasma over projecter or projecter over plasma?

Thanks all for the responses

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tradeoffs among the 2. Projectors need to have thier bulbs replaced every couple thousand hours and darker environment. Plasmas are more expensive, tend not to have as good blacks (the panasonics are pretty damm good these days), and suffer from burn in (the new ones are a lot better than the ones from 2 years ago). If I need something over 50 inches I would be going projector (front or rear) all the way. I am looking at 37-45inch units,so I am looking at direct view LCDs or plasma. I don't play video games so I am not worried about burn in.

TStoneMBD
05-22-2005, 02:35 AM
i really dont know anything about plasmas, but ive heard from unrealiable sources that video games are known to have damaged them.

JoeU
05-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Wow, I get to spend 4 grand on a home theatre????

Here it goes!

TV

InFocus ScreenPlay™ 4805

DLP home theater front projector $1199.00

Screen:

InFocus HW-MOTOSCR90

92" motorized retractable projection screen $699.00

Reciever:

Denon AVR-1905

Home theater receiver with Dolby Digital EX,
DTS-ES, and Pro Logic IIx $499.99

Speakers:

Front Channels (2)

Polk Audio RTi8

Single tower speaker $315.00ea

Rear Channels (2)

Polk Audio Monitor 30

Bookshelf speakers $169.99pr

Center Channel
Polk Audio CSi3

Center channel speaker $179.99

Sub Woffer (1)

Polk Audio PSW303

Powered subwoofer $269.99

CD/DVD Player

Sony RDR-GX300

DVD recorder with multi-format recording capability $299.99

Grand Total: $3948.00

Scrape together about $200 more for really good wire and you should be all set.

Joe

BadBoyBenny
05-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I think plasma can get burn in. If there is a logo like and EA sports logo on the same part of the screen for an extended period of time, then there will be a residual of the image forever.

Someone else is probably more of an expert, this is just what I've heard from friends.

david050173
05-22-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think plasma can get burn in. If there is a logo like and EA sports logo on the same part of the screen for an extended period of time, then there will be a residual of the image forever.

Someone else is probably more of an expert, this is just what I've heard from friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html

CRTs (ie normal tvs) also suffer burn in. Not a problem for most people.

guller
05-23-2005, 09:21 AM
SVS Subwoofers, good solid bass will make any home theater 100% better.