PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of a funk at the gym

tbach24
05-21-2005, 08:33 PM
So I was in a bad mood today because my teacher was nagging me to go for a walk or something stupid like that (everyone went to Star Wars, so they wanted me to do something else for the day since I don't really wanna see SW). So he's telling me to go for the walk but I explain that I need to go directly to the shower after my workout or my skin gets gross. He doesn't understand and is being stupid. Anyways that's not the point that's just how I got in my funk. And yes I know I was being a brat, but I was just in that mood.

Anyways I try to do my workout, but I can't focus and am intensely frusturated. There was no one else there. How do I break out of this funk and just get on with my workout because I just wasn't able to. Even explaining to myself the benefits of working out didn't work. Damn it sucked.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
So you were in a bad mood for an hour? Holy crapballs, time to get some therapy.

Dynasty
05-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Maybe you should go see a good movie.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you were in a bad mood for an hour? Holy crapballs, time to get some therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your reading skills that remedial or did I not explain the situation? I get to go to the gym 1-2 times per week TOPS. There have been weeks where I don't get to go at all. It is one of the few pleasures in my life and I find it EXTREMELY annoying that I didn't get to take full advantage of it. Now back to the point of my thread: how to get out of this funk when I'm there. It's happened like 3 times to me and it all really bothers me. And I am not that irratible.

SpearsBritney
05-21-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your reading skills that remedial or did I not explain the situation? I get to go to the gym 1-2 TOPS. There have been weeks where I don't get to go at all. It is one of the few pleasures in my life and I find it EXTREMELY annoying that I didn't get to take full advantage of it. Now back to the point of my thread: how to get out of this funk when I'm there. It's happened like 3 times to me and it all really bothers me. And I am not that irratible.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that Nike slogan again...?

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Are your reading skills that remedial or did I not explain the situation? I get to go to the gym 1-2 TOPS.

Maybe you could explain it to me 1-2 TOPS.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your reading skills that remedial or did I not explain the situation? I get to go to the gym 1-2 TOPS. There have been weeks where I don't get to go at all. It is one of the few pleasures in my life and I find it EXTREMELY annoying that I didn't get to take full advantage of it. Now back to the point of my thread: how to get out of this funk when I'm there. It's happened like 3 times to me and it all really bothers me. And I am not that irratible.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But the problem is that when I get frusturated like this my energy flow disappears as does my focus. It's really annoying. Are there any tricks for just snapping out of it?

tbach24
05-21-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are your reading skills that remedial or did I not explain the situation? I get to go to the gym 1-2 TOPS.

Maybe you could explain it to me 1-2 TOPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so I'm upset and make a grammar mistake when pointing out that you either misread my post or were trying to be a prick. Seriously, if it's not going to be funny or informative, why post anything at all? You are being such a Dead.

JTrout
05-21-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any tricks for just snapping out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

nookie

Towelie
05-21-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So he's telling me to go for the walk but I explain that I need to go directly to the shower after my workout or my skin gets gross. He doesn't understand and is being stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get all sweaty it's important to dry off properly. That's why you always bring a towel to the gym, kids.

So don't forget to bring a towel!

You wanna get high?

DBowling
05-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Energy, refocused, renews.

SpearsBritney
05-21-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But the problem is that when I get frusturated like this my energy flow disappears as does my focus. It's really annoying. Are there any tricks for just snapping out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem (like all others) is that you are now focusing on it because you expect it. Realize that if you just do your best to stop thinking about how much it sucks, and just push through it even though it does suck, it will eventually not suck. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I find by being proud of the fact that I can push through something even though it sucks, I somehow turn the situation around into a very enjoyable one.

Dynasty
05-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Towelie,

You're the worst gimmick account ever.

Towelie
05-21-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Towelie,

You're the worst gimmick account ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.

You wanna get high?

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CallMeIshmael
[ QUOTE ]
You are being such a Dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Below the belt.

somethingstupid
05-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Get mad at yourself for being such a pussy. I'm not being disrespectful. I just find that my best workouts are days that I'm pissed off about something.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are being such a Dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Below the belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. A non-Dead post is one of the 3:

1. Informative
2. Funny
3. Questioning

His post fits none of the three and is therefore being a Dead.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
I didn't misread your post. Your initial post either A) makes you look like a dumb kid or B) makes almost no sense. Cause if it's just that you were in a bad mood and your workout therefore sucked, then you're gonna need to figure out what you need to do to break that mood yourself.

So I said the equivalent of "sack up". Then you explained how your life is a hollow shell of mediocre being without your workouts, but in so doing, omitted a noun in your response. I quoted that response to show that you're still writing like a spaz.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
His post fits none of the three and is therefore being a Dead.

RUH ROH!

tbach24
05-21-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I said the equivalent of "sack up".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These do not equate.

Yes, I was writing like a spaz. If you read a lot of the threads I write you'd notice that I often do. However, that is not a reason to be counterproductive.

DBowling
05-21-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do the breathing technique that you described in the anger thread. Repeat a crazy mantra in your head if it helps.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just do the breathing technique that you described in the anger thread. Repeat a crazy mantra in your head if it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I totally forgot the breathing. I should've done that.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 09:01 PM
These do not equate.

No, actually they do.

However, that is not a reason to be counterproductive.

Is it kiddie time in OOT? Am I supposed to care?

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These do not equate.

No, actually they do.

However, that is not a reason to be counterproductive.

Is it kiddie time in OOT? Am I supposed to care?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how sacking up is supposed to be the same as getting therapy. Also, if you are just going to post like you have in this thread (which is rather Dead-esque) then why do it at all?

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't see how sacking up is supposed to be the same as getting therapy.

I'll diagram this one for you.

So you were in a bad mood for an hour? - dismissive summary of event.
Holy crapballs, - obviously hyperbolic exclamation
time to get some therapy. - a solution that's clearly overkill

Sure, it ain't shakespeare, but I think it's pretty clear that I'm deriding your perspective on the whole thing, with the unstated message that you've blown it all out of proportion and should, perhaps, in the future, learn to suck it up and not post when you get a boo boo, psychological or physical.

Also, if you are just going to post like you have in this thread (which is rather Dead-esque) then why do it at all?

It's OOT. If you want someone to hold your hand and tell you you're a snowflake, try the psychology forum.

Yeti
05-21-2005, 09:15 PM
bison, you are the man. I especially liked this bit :

[ QUOTE ]
So I said the equivalent of "sack up". Then you explained how your life is a hollow shell of mediocre being without your workouts, but in so doing, omitted a noun in your response. I quoted that response to show that you're still writing like a spaz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.

tbach - Chill out. Masturbate.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 09:16 PM
It's OOT. - Other Other Topics

If you want someone to hold your hand - metaphorically only, meant to conjure up a picture of a parent shepherding a young child through a 'scary' experience like a haircut or buying shoes.

and tell you you're a snowflake, - meaning 'unique' and therefore special and worthy of some kind of special consideration despite the general trend of making fun of all stupid posts in this forum.

try the psychology forum. - here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=psych)

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you are just going to post like you have in this thread (which is rather Dead-esque) then why do it at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's OOT. If you want someone to hold your hand and tell you you're a snowflake, try the psychology forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware that this is OOT and I'm going to get some stupid comments, but at least try to be a bit constructive. I expect more out of you as I usually respect and agree with what you say. I think that if OOT tried to abide by the 3 types of good posts I made previously, it would improve on what people have been complaining about.
My point as to you posting in a Dead-esque fashion was not to ask to post more politely, but rather not at all if you were going to post like that.

Also, this:

[ QUOTE ]

So you were in a bad mood for an hour? - dismissive summary of event.
Holy crapballs, - obviously hyperbolic exclamation

[/ QUOTE ]

Is very open to interpretation so there is no need to be a douche when I pointed out that it bothered me.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Is very open to interpretation

If you're an idiot, yes.

so there is no need to be a douche when I pointed out that it bothered me.

No, there's no 'need'. But I felt there was a compelling case to be made for me shitting on another lousy OOT thread. I'm sorry if it bothered you. I would suggest sacking up, or to paraphrase:

So you got upset about a post on the internet? By Thor's great rainbow, it's time to get some therapy.

SpearsBritney
05-21-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's OOT. - Other Other Topics

If you want someone to hold your hand - metaphorically only, meant to conjure up a picture of a parent shepherding a young child through a 'scary' experience like a haircut or buying shoes.

and tell you you're a snowflake, - meaning 'unique' and therefore special and worthy of some kind of special consideration despite the general trend of making fun of all stupid posts in this forum.

try the psychology forum. - here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=psych)

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man, that's good stuff /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JackWilson
05-21-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was in a bad mood today because my teacher was nagging me to go for a walk or something stupid like that (everyone went to Star Wars, so they wanted me to do something else for the day since I don't really wanna see SW). So he's telling me to go for the walk but I explain that I need to go directly to the shower after my workout or my skin gets gross. He doesn't understand and is being stupid. Anyways that's not the point that's just how I got in my funk. And yes I know I was being a brat, but I was just in that mood.

Anyways I try to do my workout, but I can't focus and am intensely frusturated. There was no one else there. How do I break out of this funk and just get on with my workout because I just wasn't able to. Even explaining to myself the benefits of working out didn't work. Damn it sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you? I was also an angry young man at one stage. You either need to learn to control your anger or find a release for it. Funnily enough, I would have suggested that a good workout would be an excellent way of releasing this anger, which is why your situation puzzles me. I don't know exactly what type of workout you do, but stuff like a punching bag, benchpresses, pullups etc should be really effective. Something where you can release a quite a lot of energy/frustration in short repetitions. Forget about your structured workout for a bit and just let go.

Of course, this is different from being frustrated/depressed, which you don't mention yourself as being.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're an idiot, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your post was very clear to me. It was you telling me that I was upset for one hour and therefore needed therapy. If this was true, then every person on the planet needs therapy.

[ QUOTE ]
No, there's no 'need'. But I felt there was a compelling case to be made for me shitting on another lousy OOT thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were making a case for Dead shutting up because he often posted in a way to infuriate other posters. Why would you repeat this process? Clearly you are a moron.

[ QUOTE ]
So you got upset about a post on the internet? By Thor's great rainbow, it's time to get some therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you be infuriated by a book or magazine article? They are basically all opinion pieces.

All the bison cock riders can fuck off. He is an arrogant prick who likes to belittle 17 year old [censored] ups.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm 17. I have bipolar/manic depression which may or may not be the cause of my frusturation at the gym, but I don't like to blame it. I'm in a school that's essentially a halfway house between normal and messups so I had anger problems, but I rarely do anymore. I am generally a very pleasant person as you could tell from most of my posts and if you knew me in person.

[ QUOTE ]
Something where you can release a quite a lot of energy/frustration in short repetitions

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be it. I was starting a new workout regiment today that was specifically tuned to the advice of some people in a thread where I asked about baseball, and they said that long sets were better for it. Odd.

SpearsBritney
05-21-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My sarcasm detector isn't broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No, your post was very clear to me. It was you telling me that I was upset for one hour and therefore needed therapy. If this was true, then every person on the planet needs therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't sarcasm as bison clearly stated.

somethingstupid
05-21-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

must...resist...urge...to...get...involved

SpearsBritney
05-21-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JackWilson
05-21-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 17. I have bipolar/manic depression which may or may not be the cause of my frusturation at the gym, but I don't like to blame it. I'm in a school that's essentially a halfway house between normal and messups so I had anger problems, but I rarely do anymore. I am generally a very pleasant person as you could tell from most of my posts and if you knew me in person.

[ QUOTE ]
Something where you can release a quite a lot of energy/frustration in short repetitions

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be it. I was starting a new workout regiment today that was specifically tuned to the advice of some people in a thread where I asked about baseball, and they said that long sets were better for it. Odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

See at a time like this I think it's futile to try to stick to a structured workout.

BTW, don't ever get down on yourself. I wasted a large portion of my youth because of social acceptance problems that I still regret.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Whatever, when I read it, I didn't see it the way that Bison intended it to be. It was open to interpretation.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See at a time like this I think it's futile to try to stick to a structured workout.

BTW, don't ever get down on yourself. I wasted a large portion of my youth because of social acceptance problems that I still regret.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it.

SpearsBritney
05-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Just ridin' ya man /images/graemlins/grin.gif

chesspain
05-21-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't misread your post. Your initial post either A) makes you look like a dumb kid or B) makes almost no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the rules for this thread did it suggest that the above were mutually exclusive options.