PDA

View Full Version : OK Scalf, The Whisk(e)y Poll

HDPM
12-08-2002, 09:58 PM
My favorites comprise both Scotch and Bourbon. My #2 whisky is my "everyday" whisky, the one I find fits more occasions and the one I drink the most of, where available.

1. Lagavulin
2. Maker's Mark
3. Booker's
4. Laphroaig
5. Macallan - older is better.

Also Likes: Aberlour, Cardhu, Gentleman Jack, Black Label, Knob Creek.

Will do if there's a limited selection: Wild Turkey, Jack, Famous Grouse, Red Label.

Most Overrateds:

1. Glenlivet
2. Chivas
3. Crown Royal

Best Value: Maker's Mark hands down. Competes w/ $50 whiskies at $20 or less a bottle. Clearly superior to all the Scotches in it's price range, i.e. Dewar's, Red Label, Famous Grouse, etc.... Better than most of the small batch bourbons that cost more IMO. I rank it over Booker's, but could see ranking Booker's higher, and expect a lot of people will. Either way, both are good, but Booker's costs more than double.

Absent from the list are any Canadian whiskies. Canadian seems blander and less complex than scotch or bourbon to me, so I just don't like it as well. I drink it when it is all that is available and enjoy it to varying degrees. A friend of mine always has a flask of R&R on the golf course, and that tastes OK straight out of the flask. But that is like ballpark hotdogs. You know it's bad, but it is good at the time. I am usually disappointed if stuck with some kind of Canadian. My mom always liked Canadian Club though. I liked it better when I couldn't buy my own. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Also absent are the Irish whiskies, although I kind of like them. I prefer Bushmills over Jameson, and prefer the deluxe versions of both to the regular- black bush and 1780 respectively. I drank more Irish whisky when I was younger. Like the Canadian whiskies, I think they are too light and bland once you start liking whisky more.

On the overrated list, I hate Glenlivet. One of my least favorite malts. I hate Chivas. It tastes like very cheap whiskey to me. It's a blend, so I always suspect it's half Vat 69 and half neutral grain spirits. Crown Royal isn't vile, but it is overrated. I would drink it before Chivas any day. I also don't like whisky to come in a goofy velvet bag. The brown one the liquor store gives you is much more socially appropriate if you must carry your whisky about.

The_Baron
12-08-2002, 10:36 PM
First of all, there's no "e" in the word, "Whisky." ;-)

Now for the list....Can't make a single list because my tastes vary...
Speyside whiskies
Glenlossie
Glen Elgin
Balvenie

North Highland Whiskies
Glenmorangie
Dalmore

West Highland Whiskies
Oban
Talisker

East Highland Whiskies
Knockdhu (before it sold out in the mid 90s)
Glencadam

Central Highland Whiskies
Usually too dry and oaky but if it's old enough AND sold
cask strength...
Tullibardine

Lowlands Whiskies
Rosebank

Islay Whiskies

Laga Vula
Bunnahabhain
Caol Ila

Irish Whiskies
Tullamore Dew (pre-1995) (Yes, it's a blend... I'm allowed
a few lapses in taste)
Bushmill's Single Malt
Connemara peated (Cask Strength... whisky of the gods)
Tyrconnell Single Malt (Cask Strength)

Bourbon Whiskies
Blanton's
W.L. Weller

The Canadian whiskies seem pretty boring and the American "Classic" whiskies, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey and Black Velvet(yes, it's Canadian... sort of), are all too irregular in flavor. Who ever these distilleries have as their blenders have lost their sense of taste. They just don't "do it."

As always, YMMV, and I freely admit I had a great epiphany during my last hangover. I discovered I could either drink a little good booze and not want to die the next day or I could drink an equal dollar amount of swill and pray to be hit by a train come morning. Just can't take the time to drink bad liquor any more.

Allan
12-08-2002, 10:44 PM
HDPM,

Have you tried Ancient Ancient Age? AKA "triple A" I think it is the best deal out there for those lucky enough to live in areas where it is distributed. It's just as good as Makers and half the price ......That said, you can't go wrong with Maker's

I've tried bookers a few times but it puts my mouth on fire, that was a while back though.......

I agree with you about the Canadian and Irish stuff....

If I am in a place that has limited selection I would rather have a lesser bourbon than a lesser scotch....sort of like I'd rather have a cheap beer than cheap wine or champagne....

Here is my list....no specific order

1) Laphroig
2) Balvenie double wood (the first single malt I ever had and i instantly fell in love with it)
3) Labrott and Graham Woodford Reserve
4) Basil Hayden's.... I go in an out of liking this stuff...sometimes I seem to think it has no flavor but when I like it I drink it often
5) Ancient Ancient Age/ Maker's

Allan

Zeno
12-08-2002, 10:53 PM
I'm a bit of a neophyte on this whiskey stuff but will toss out some names, if only to annoy (or bemuse) the more knowledgeable set. As a coincidence one of my best friends, who I meet every year in either Las Vegas or Reno, is a nut about Makers Mark. He raves about it almost as much as HDPM. We have had a few bottles on our yearly excursions and I must admit that it does taste very good and fits in nicely with puffing on a Don Diego Cigar. Also have tried and enjoyed Knob Creek one year. Also good but more expensive.

So I like Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Jim Bean, Wild Turkey (12 year old?) and also what I have in the old homestead right now. OLD CROW (since 1835) and aged a FULL THREE YEARS!!!. Cheap, easy on the throat, easy on the tummy, easy on the warm glow it produces.

Are you laughing yet?

Only tasted a few Scotch whiskies and can never remember the damn names. Mclickindram, McFullofPeat etc and etc. By chance, I purchased (in Canada) a scotch called Dalwhinnie. I enjoyed it very much (smokey taste) but how it rates among the sordid rivalries of scotch drinkers I would hate to guess. So that is it. And I agree with the brown bag bit HDPM. My Old Crow bottle fits snug and feels great in a old crumpled paper bag. I'm off for a snort.

-Zeno

Allan
12-08-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm laughing more at your choice of cigar more than anything else......

Allan

HDPM
12-08-2002, 11:28 PM
I have been meaning to try Old Crow because I was involved in a murder case where a half gallon of Old Crow served as a starter to the evening-in-question's festivities. I see it in the store but have not been able to bring myself to buy it, even though it is dirt cheap. Perhaps since the anniversary of the event is coming up I will spring for a small bottle of it and give you my review. I will certainly enjoy it more than the folks who drank it that dark and stormy night.

HDPM
12-08-2002, 11:45 PM
Have not had AAA. I will make it a point to try it now. I have read a good review of it somewhere as well. I agree about Basil Hayden's - not enough flavor. It is one of the whiskies I think Maker's puts to shame. Bookers is very strong, straight out of the barrel at 125 proof. So it is intense. And that's why I don't drink it that often. It is good enough and complex enough that I usually drink it straight. You can clear your sinuses with a big sniff of it. Because they ran out of Makers (we drank'em dry) one place poured Booker's for us without asking first. I had been drinking Maker's on the rocks, so the bartender poured Booker's on the rocks. It was very smooth and good, but if they asked first I would not have gone for the ice. And that's one reason I like Maker's, I'll drink it neat when I'm in the mood, but not feel guilty drinking it on the rocks if I want a lighter drink.
I introduced a guy to Booker's. He usually drinks light whiskies with water. I poured him some in a glass and told him to sip it. He thought he was supposed to take big gulps. Well, he took some big gulps of air after that dose, hehehehe.

Mat Sklansky
12-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Nobody mentioned woodford reserve.

Zeno
12-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Allan,

Happy to be of service. My cigar choosing runs thus: Large 1,500 acre mall. One 10,000 chain cigar/pipe/nick-nack/beer stein store. Little room in back with sliding glass door. Step in and see Don Diego- Hey - I know a guy by that name, must be good cigar. Joya De Nicaragua - I know a country by that name - must be good cigar. Punch - Hey - don't the limeys have a famous magazine by that name (or did?)- must be good cigar. If I don't like the smoke, I go back to the same mall, the same store, and make the same silly choices. Don't have time for anything else. I'm too busy. I guess we need a cigar list also. It would be a good idea as it would go with the whisk(e)y list. I'm off to enjoy my old crow and a Joya De Nicaragua. Puff-puff. Snort-snort.

-Zeno

Noo Yawk
12-09-2002, 12:31 AM
Johnny Walker Blue label. It's expensive, but well worth it.
If you don't like Crown, try the reserve.
BTW:
Vodka-Belvadere.
Tequilla- Cabo Wabo.

HDPM
12-09-2002, 12:38 AM
Punch the best of those 3. Try Padron, Arturo Fuente, Leon Jimenes if they're around, Romeo y Julieta, Hoyo de Monterrey, Montecristo. The bigger the ring gauge the better.

Allan
12-09-2002, 12:46 AM
#3 on my list...a very fine bourbon

MMMMMM
12-09-2002, 01:38 AM
My own very limited experiences with whiskey revolve around: 1) one summer night getting sick from splitting a quart with a friend, circa age 15, and, 2) a few sips now and then over the years, but it has always made me want to gag. I realize it is an acquired taste and I'm wondering if there are any versions which won't trigger the urge-to-gag reflex in someone who hasn't acquired the taste yet (and probably never will). By the way, I rarely drink at all, but I do prefer dark beers/ales over the typical watered-down tin-can stuff, and a good white wine or rose can be nice. Screw zinfandel: when they invented it they must have combined the the worst of white and rose and left out the best (IMO). Over the years I have sampled various hard liquors and while much of the strong stuff is hard to take, none of it seemed such strong stuff as whiskey--hence the query: if there really is such a thing as a good-tasting whiskey that lacks that 'ackhhh' feeling, I would like to try it just once, sometime, somewhere. I think the whiskeys I tried were a Canadian, an Irish, and some fancy whiskey or other, but aside from the more distinctive taste of the Irish it was all whiskey, that's for sure. Do milder yet flavorful whiskies exist?

M2d
12-09-2002, 02:23 AM
I believe whiskeys are supposed to be drank with a splash of water. the water opens them up. neat, they are very intense, but the flavors are a bit too tightly wound for many people's tastes. with a splash (a small one), their flavors separate a bit, the alcohol bite is less intense, and the taste is bigger and lasts longer.

M2d
12-09-2002, 02:40 AM
here's mine:

1) Old Potrero (regional american from the SF bay area. from the people who bring you anchor steam beer)
2) Bookers
3) Blantons (if you get a good one)
4) Knob Creek
5) Makers Mark

I do like Scotches (and less so, Irish), but my loyalties lie with our dear old USA. I do take exception with any Islay, though. nasty stuff.

I agree with your overrated list, but would take Crown off if only for the free purple bag that you get when you buy a bottle. Marbles, coins, fishing reels...the bag's great.

Buy (and drink) american!!

MMMMMM
12-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Maybe that's how I need to try it

HDPM
12-09-2002, 10:50 AM
Yeah, that can be done. The problem is that you have to do it right. The quality of the water is also important as it can throw the flavor off. It is easy to water the whisky down too much. If you order a good whisky neat and have a handy bottle of room-temp Evian and can pour just a bit in there, you have a good drink.

Allan
12-09-2002, 11:42 AM
MMMMMM,

Check out the Basil Hayden, It is quite nice for a more mild bourbon. I recommend it to a lot of my friends who don't drink bourbon that often and they all end up enjoying it.

Allan

MMMMMM
12-09-2002, 11:58 AM
I will plan on trying a miniature (is that what they call those tiny little bottles?) of Basil Hayden bourbon on New Year's Eve--thx;-)

M2d
12-09-2002, 12:12 PM
By all means, too little water makes for a less enjoyable drink. Too much makes for non-potable water

Baltimore Ron
12-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Testudo says it is THE Macallan, 25 years old, of course. Although, if turtles had money, he might try the 1946 or 1951 "vintages" (available from The Macallan website for a mere 1,575 and 1,500 pounds sterling respectively.)

BR

scalf
12-09-2002, 06:36 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif now why did no one mention the all time favorite...when you're real desparate...mary, qos...lol...don't tell me ya never shot it....lol..gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

patrick dicaprio
12-09-2002, 07:10 PM
lagavulin might be the best scotch in the world, if you dont mind the peat.

my personal favorite, which is not well known, is Glenrothes. it may be tough to find but it is worth it. another is Dalmore.

for those who are scotch drinkers you should consider joining teh Scotch malt whiskey society. they but full strength casks and sell it only to members. you get some great ones that are not sold through other sources,and the best scotches i have ever had were from them. also they host a scotch tasting every year.

Pat

patrick dicaprio
12-09-2002, 07:14 PM
i have only had Blue twice, and both times i felt it was good but not great and not worth the dough. i would rank them: green, gold, blue, black, red.

Pat

DPCondit
12-10-2002, 02:34 AM
First off, I vote for The Baron to stock my bar any time, great list!

However, there is no "e" in whisky (as in Scotch Whisky), but other types of Whisk(e)y do use an e.

Don

Graham
12-10-2002, 10:58 AM
...Something I can have an informed opinion on, since I grew up on the Isle of Skye and - in a previous life - was a wine waiter in one of the more expensive restaurants in Glasgow. We had approx. 200 malts and other whiskys and, one slow Sunday evening in 1991, a Belgian food critic was in for a meal. Along with Giancarlo, the other wine waiter, we yanked down all the bottles and had our very own tasting.

A couple of conclusions (that I can remember):

Lagavulin - best of the lot; surpassed all the fancy nancy 25 yr olds/50 yr olds, whatever, of other brands.
Macallan - stick with the 10 yr old; the 25 was milder, smoother, less complex. Depends if you want to handle the heaviness.

I noticed Lagavulin has been touted here too. It's the one I always buy as gifts for people - if it's appropriate. It's also lesser known than the usual eg Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie etc and has a great bottle - classy.

If anyone likes a more pungent, smoky, peaty flavour, have a go at Talisker, the malt from Skye.

You have to go to a tasting if you want to choose a whisky - too many different varieties and opinions.

G

Side note: the island of Islay, where a number of malts are made, is a gorgeous island, well worth a holiday - I've been a few times. Gets good weather too for the Highlands.

M2d
12-10-2002, 02:00 PM
as a scottsman, what do you think of the american whiskeys? just curious.

Graham
12-10-2002, 02:26 PM
I'm afraid I'm in no position to pass comment. the only ones I've tried were jim Beam and jack daniels (if they count). And that was from when i was 20 years old going to parties in glasgow. I wasn't too discriminating in those days... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

HDPM
12-10-2002, 02:30 PM
They count. Jack is mediocre, Beam is not very good IMO. Jack is more interesting because of the charcoal filtering. Beam just cheap bourbon.

M2d
12-10-2002, 07:52 PM
Beam just cheap bourbon.

the term "rotgut" comes to mind.

Ulysses
12-14-2002, 07:08 AM
I'm a scotch guy most of the time. I don't like much peat. My favorites are the Balvenie Double Woods (21 yo portwood is my prefernce, but I like the Sherry as well) and Glenrothes. Glenrothes also makes for an especially nice gift due to their great bottle and packaging. If you like those, I'd suggest trying Highland Park. The 12, 18, and 25 are all very nice. For those who like the double woods, the Glenmorangie double woods are a great buy and very tasty. And you can never go wrong with the old standby, The Macallan.

When I'm not drinking Scotch, Blanton's/Booker's/Knob Creek/Woodford Reserve are all good. Someone mentioned Old Potrero, which definitely has a ton of character, but I think is too overpowering. Maybe I'm just a wimp. When I'm mixing with anything, I go with Maker's Mark.