PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to correct my analysis...

Bronstein
05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
I analysed my first 10K hands and think I found some leaks (but you might disagree), and I'm still puzzled on some issues. Hope you can add something...

First the data (with conclusions):
- 10K hands, all at PartyPoker .5/1 limit, not using PT or any other tool (except for this analysis)
- VPIP: 18% (low, but acceptable)
- VPIP from SB: 42% TOO HIGH
- PFR: 5,25% (low, but that's normal for a newbie)
- SFAH: 25% (OK)
- WSD: 28% (low, but acceptable)
- W$WSF: 26% A LITTLE LOW
- W$SD: 58% (high, but acceptable)
- FRB: 50% (OK)
- AF (incl. pre-flop): 0.81 WAY TOO LOW
- check-raises: 0.3% of possible actions WAY TOO LOW (but there are more important stats)
- win-rate: 3BB/100H (good, but can be better)
- average pre-flop call% is 41% (I understand this is the % of av. nr of players that sees the flop, as the av. nr of players was 8.73, this means that on average 3.5 players see the flop) TABLE SELECTION NEEDS TO IMPROVE
- my total rake: 258$ (25% flat rakeback would save me 0.645 BB/100 H)

I analysed them with PT based on the PT-stats section in the micro-FAQ you provide here. I also used the table with EVs from all positions and the SSH starting hands chart.
Improvements (trash is what is marked as always fold in SSH (the tight table) for that specific position):
- not playing trash from EP: saves me 0.37 BB/100 H
- not playing trash from SB: saves me 0.71 BB/100 H (includes the 0.25 losses associated with folding)
- better table selection !!
- use check-raises more often
- playing far more aggresively post-flop, for this I now read Ed Miller's post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=462860&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1), as a result WSD and W$WSF will increase and W$SD will decrease. And let's hope profit as well.
- better starting hand selection: following the SSH starting hands sheet (this will make PFR raise)

I think if I follow all this, my win-rate will get much better (already without playing the trash and a rakeback it would be 1.7 BB / 100 H higher).

BUT the SSH starting hands is what I have trouble with! (I ordered the book, but it will take 4 more weeks.) The loose sheet seems to be really loose (meaning if you don't use PT/PV/GT to search these games you probably won't be in one), so I will play according to the tight-table sheet. But this suggest a.o. the following things:
- call 66-22, AT, KJ, Q9s, J9s, 98s from MP
- call 66-22, Q9s, JT, 87s-54s from LP
- call any suited from SB
In a game were on average 4 players see the flop this seems mathematically unplayable to me. Are they to be interpreted as being played only if 3 players already limped?? Even then I wouldn't play any of these! And I'm even not mentioning other borderline hands I have serious doubts on. I don't get it. How can they be playable with only an average of 3 to 5 players seeing the flop? Can someone convince me of the fact that they are playable and make profit? The chances you have to fold at the flop are so high that the wins can't compensate that. Unless you are much stronger than the others at the table and win by bluffing your draws, ...

I plan to use the sheet, but not playing the borderline hands since I'm already at 3BB/100H and considering the previous remarks should reach over 5BB/100H. Does this seem correct or am I just a chicken here (the post-flop aggression I'll do because I mathematically know it's correct, but this??) Is this a phase most beginners go through or am I the only one?
All comments appreciated.

DMBFan23
05-21-2005, 05:42 PM
your VP$Ip is fine, but you seem pretty passive postflop, and in addition your high W$SD means you probably fold too much. but, you've got a decent foundation to build off of. if you've read winning low limit holdem, I would read small stakes holdem. if youve done that, reread it and post hands

Bronstein
05-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks for that. I agree that post-flop I have to play my hands more aggresively and protect them better. But the books is a bit the problem: I haven't read any so far. I ordered the 5 best from 2+2, but it will take 4 more weeks. So I'm still stuck on these borderline hands that feel like suicide hands to me. Any opinions on that?

Bronstein
05-21-2005, 10:11 PM
The rakeback estimate seems a little optimistic, so double-checked the other nrs, but they are ok.

grjr
05-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Play all the Party skins during the reload periods and you don't have to worry about rakeback at .50/1. They probably have paid me 3 times as much in bonuses as they've taken in rake.