PDA

View Full Version : My review of Star Wars: A New Hope (first time id ever seen it)

TStoneMBD
05-21-2005, 03:48 PM
As many of you know, I've never seen the original movies up to this point and am just starting to go back and view them now.

I decided to create a movie review for the SW fans out there, figuring that you might be interested in the thoughts of someone seeing the movie for the first time, in a newer generation, after seeing the masterpieces Lucas created within the past decade.

If anyone wants me to write my review on Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, let me know.

-----

When seeing the opening scene for the first time, the battle between those two starships, I had to feel impressed by the graphical presentation that Lucas presented to us 30 years ago. The graphics were certainly not quite as good as they are today, but impressive nonetheless, if only for the fact that they were so ahead of their time.

As the movie progresses, I realize that this digitally remastered DVD has encorporated so many new graphics that the originals didn't have. This became apparent to me when Jaba the Hut presented himself early in the movie. Knowing this, I wish I would have gotten to see this movie when it was first presented to the audience, 30 years ago, when the feeling of entering the unknown becomes present. When not knowing what the story would bring, when not knowing what the leading technologies of movie production would present to us. I will unfortunately never experience that, I can only imagine. However, I can certainly understand why it is that this movie was such a success despite the fact that it is of poor quality compared to today's standards.

Just as most movies of their generation, this movie has problems with the plot. It also has problems with the direction and pace of the dialogue. If I were sitting in the audience 3 decades ago watching this movie, I may not have had such a problem with the storyline. My predispositions of what to expect did not live up to their expectations.

Luke Skywalker, a young man, clueless of the force, is suddenly taken by (Ben?) Obi-Wan Kenobi in quick fashion to battle the dark side on their own turf. Not only that, but he has Han Solo and Chewy come along with him to combat the Empire without their knowing of this. While on their ship destined to Death Star's base, Luke is given a quick introduction on how to use the force to control his light saber. Luke is of course a natural, but his training was short and clearly not enough to expect him to combat dozens and dozens of clones. His training should have been extended for a longer period of time, for realism purposes along with entertainment value.

When landing on Death Star's mothership, the crew is ready for battle. There appears to be atmost 50 Empire warriors on this ship, despite the fact that there should be thousands. Darth Vader immediately senses Obi-Wan's presence. You would have figured that he would have summoned the allegiance of his army to try and search him out.

Despite the fact that the clone warrios are in short number, I don't think it would matter if Luke and Han had to battle a thousand of these guys. These clone can't shoot for ****. These clones, clones that were composed of the DNA possessed by an elite fighter, clones that were trained all their life to serve in the army, can't land a direct shot despite standing 10 feet in front of their target with a direct line.

In one scene, when Luke and the Princess run out onto a ledge of some sort, jamming the door behind them to escape the clones, is a great example of the Death Star's inept combat skills. Aside from the fact that the enemy couldn't shoot them with a direct line of sight, when the clones manage to open the bottom of the door but it remains jammed, rather than just stick their guns under the door and fry the two runaways, they foolishly try to continue opening the door.

All the while, Obi-Wan manages to search out Darth Vader and enters a swordfight with him. The sword fight is rather unimpressive now that I have been spoiled with the new sword fights presented by Lucas in his presequels. If I were seeing this 30 years ago however, I would be amazed by the bright light of the sabers.

During the middle of the the battle, Obi-Wan mysteriously vanishes. I was certainly not expecting this. Where did he go? Did he die? Is he invisible? No, apparently his ghost haunts Luke throughout the rest of the movie, telling him to listen to the force. This doesn't make any sense to me. Why did Obi do this? Why did he search out the battle with Darth in the first place if this were his intentions?

When the crew escapes back to their rebel camp, Han Solo isn't even mad that he was brought into this battle without his permission. Despite his selfish ways, he seems that he could care less.

The rebel's decide to devise an attack against the Empire, and Luke acts as if he's been in the Jedi business for years. When they fly out to the mothership, the fight scenes between ships are relatively impressive. After they destroy the majority of enemy ships, Luke somehow sends a missle into a cabinet of the mothership and the mothership explodes into pieces. This scene really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose that it's mildly believable considering the technology they would have in this era.

The movie ends, everyone celebrates. Darth Vader escapes however, and I am left with a feeling of unsatisfaction. The storyline was underdeveloped and somewhat juvenile.

Hopefully the next two episodes will prove to be much better. I imagine that they will. I know that this will never happen, but Lucas should remake episodes 4, 5 and 6. It definitely needs a bit of a facelift, and they would certainly be awesome when produced through this age's technology.

daryn
05-21-2005, 03:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Luke somehow sends a missle into a cabinet of the mothership and the mothership explodes into pieces. This scene really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose that it's mildly believable considering the technology they would have in this era.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you even watch this movie? are you sure?

TStoneMBD
05-21-2005, 03:58 PM
honestly, my attention span was starting to drift when approaching this scene. i was getting bored with the whole action sequence. all the sudden i see luke shoot out this pink missle into some part of the ship and it all explodes. if you could elaborate this part for me id appreciate it.

wacki
05-21-2005, 03:59 PM
It was an exhaust pipe to the power core at the center of the death star

[censored]
05-21-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly, my attention span was starting to drift when approaching this scene. i was getting bored with the whole action sequence. all the sudden i see luke shoot out this pink missle into some part of the ship and it all explodes. if you could elaborate this part for me id appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you want Daryn to basically explain the entire last half of the movie?

daryn
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
just seems like you read the cliff notes or something

maybe watch it again

BringBackIvey
05-21-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
after seeing the masterpieces Lucas created within the past decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you saying that you started with episode 1, and then proceeded to wait until 3 came out, and then watched a New Hope?

I had a friend in high school who was planning to do the same thing, but I have since lost touch with him.

soah
05-21-2005, 04:42 PM
No offense, but you don't seem to understand some of the basic plot elements which were actually explained pretty clearly during the course of the film.

TStoneMBD
05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
yah this is what i did. nice troll account btw. gave me a laugh.

BringBackIvey
05-21-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice troll account btw. gave me a laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY. I indend to post with this in all of your threads, but only when I would have posted with CMI.

Also... I am curious to hear your thoughts on ESB and RotJ.

peachy
05-21-2005, 04:54 PM
i feel ripped off at the end of the last one cause they use haydens ghost now instead of the original which i now dont even remember what it looks like...makes me wonder what else they changed in all 3 of the older movies that i dont remember so i didnt catch it /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Luzion
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Spoilers Ahead for those that havent seen Star Wars: A New Hope

Princess Leia stole the plans to the "Death Star." Part of the point of rescuing Princess Leia is so she can return the blueprints to the Rebel Base, so they can find a way to counter the Death Star.

There is a debriefing scene near the end of the movie where the Death Star is coming to destroy the Rebel Base. During the debriefing scene they point out very clearly that using the blueprint, they found a weakness in the Death Star. If you shoot some missiles/torpedoes down some exhaust pipe, it causes a chain reaction that will blow up the power core and thus the entire Death Star.

Then everyone acts all shocked. "Theres no way any starfighter can hit that at the speed we are going!" Then Luke says "Blah blah blah, thats as easy as shooting rabbits on my home planet. I can do it."

Hope this all helped... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spoilers Ahead for those that havent seen Star Wars: A New Hope

Princess Leia stole the plans to the "Death Star." Part of the point of rescuing Princess Leia is so she can return the blueprints to the Rebel Base, so they can find a way to counter the Death Star.

There is a debriefing scene near the end of the movie where the Death Star is coming to destroy the Rebel Base. During the debriefing scene they point out very clearly that using the blueprint, they found a weakness in the Death Star. If you shoot some missiles/torpedoes down some exhaust pipe, it causes a chain reaction that will blow up the power core and thus the entire Death Star.

Then everyone acts all shocked. "Theres no way any starfighter can hit that at the speed we are going!" Then Luke says "Blah blah blah, its like shooting rabbits on my home planet. I can do it."

Hope this all helped... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it was shooting something rats hehe cant remember the 1st word

kerssens
05-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Its like wamprats or something...I just watched it yesterday

ChoicestHops
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
I want to say he said whompa's but I think I'm making that up.

A New Hope is a good movie, but remember that it wasnt expected that people would like it as much as they did. Empire Strikes Back is a better movie.

I watched it last night as well after I saw Revenge of the Sith.

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its like wamprats or something...I just watched it yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah me too!

Soul Daddy
05-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Solo was fully aware that the Obi-Wan &amp; Luke were being pursued by the Empire. He may not have wanted to engage in direct combat, but it's not as if he was duped in any way, nor did he have much of a choice.

TStoneMBD
05-21-2005, 05:13 PM
so was obiwan trying to go to darth's base or was it an accident? i thought it was intentional and that he just didnt tell han

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Han wasn't duped at all. He even said to Chewy, " Our Passengers are hot". Han enjoyed the thrill of going toe-to-toe with the empire, this is something that he even bragged about. Obi-Wan let his force die on purpose so that Luke could witness Vader "killing" him. He wanted Luke to use his feelings for good instead of using his feelings for evil like Anikan did. Obi-Wan also wanted to use his death as a catalyst for Luke going to learn from Yoda in ESB. Watch ESB and some things will clear up for you. Be sure to write a review of that too

[censored]
05-21-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i feel ripped off at the end of the last one cause they use haydens ghost now instead of the original which i now dont even remember what it looks like...makes me wonder what else they changed in all 3 of the older movies that i dont remember so i didnt catch it /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the backgrounds were redone, and many of the space battles were tweaked graphically. During the final celebration there was signing by a chorus that was removed. The scene with Jaba the hut was added. On tattoine before entering the bar all of the action with creatures in the background is new, as well as the mounts riden by the stormtroopers.

Also the emperor in the original version does not tell Vader the Anakin Skywalker's son servived.

Soul Daddy
05-21-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so was obiwan trying to go to darth's base or was it an accident? i thought it was intentional and that he just didnt tell han

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they were going to Alderaan to deliver the droids. But the planet was just recently destroyed by the Death Star when they arrived and they were pulled in by the Death Star's tractor beam.

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they were supposed to go to Alderan and got sucked in by the tractor beam of the Death Star

kerssens
05-21-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also the emperor in the original version does not tell Vader the Anakin Skywalker's son servived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, I don't remember this part...when did this happen?

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the backgrounds were redone, and many of the space battles were tweaked graphically. During the final celebration there was signing by a chorus that was removed. The scene with Jaba the hut was added. On tattoine before entering the bar all of the action with creatures in the background is new, as well as the mounts riden by the stormtroopers.

[/ QUOTE ]

see!!! im never gonna remember it all....i feel kinda meh about it now...they arent the originals to me anymore

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:20 PM
STFU peachy.

Some of us haven't seen the 3rd one yet. You could have at least put a warning in your post.

There is another thread for you to talk all about it.

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, I don't remember this part...when did this happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

i watched all of them yesterday...and i do remember this in some form but forget which one it was in...the only one i can recall the emporeor talkin about his son for sure is in the last one....

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
STFU peachy.

Some of us haven't seen the 3rd one yet. You could have at least put a warning in your post.

There is another thread for you to talk all about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not talkin about the 3rd one u tard

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:22 PM
You mentioned Hadyn's ghost.

I know that wasn't in any of the other movies.

You said it in a post above, not the one I responded to, so I told you to STFU ABOUT IT IN THIS THREAD.

kerssens
I only watched Revenge of the Sith and episode 4 yesterday...I don't remember the Emperor in episode 4 so maybe it was in 5 or six?

kerssens
[ QUOTE ]

You said it in a post above, not the one I responded to, so I told you to STFU ABOUT IT IN THIS THREAD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that in Return of the Jedi?

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:23 PM
The Emperor first appeared in the beginning of 5, when Vader is talking to him on the Executor.

Soul Daddy
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's at the end of ROTJ on DVD. They replaced the ghost of original actor who played Anakin w/ Christiansen.

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was added in in the remake of ROTJ.

Not exactly a spoiler.

Dead
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hayden Christensen wasn't IN the original 3 movies.

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uummm ur a complete moron...this happens in the LAST one u fucktard...and the originals have been out for 20 years i can make a comment on his ghost in the very last movie

learn to read and comprehend u idiot...dont follow me around and jump all over me before u have any understanding of whats being talked about...thats just lame

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly a spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Remake of Return of the Jedi?

peachy
05-21-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what were talkin about...good im beingging to think ur a TOTAL idiot....he was digitally put in...again go back and read before u freak out

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what were talkin about...good im beingging to think ur a TOTAL idiot....he was digitally put in...again go back and read before u freak out

[/ QUOTE ]

This must b the ironic post uf the day!!!!!!!!

pshreck
05-21-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-release, with tons of things changed, call it whatever you want. They put Hayden in at the end.

Soul Daddy
05-21-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly a spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a remake, just an update.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwars/6-02-2004.jpg

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly a spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

but definetly a Pissoffer

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't have that on my Special Edition tapes.

pshreck
05-21-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Added only for the DVD releases.

Soul Daddy
05-21-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's just on the DVD's that were released last year.

Dead
05-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Ok.

[censored] George Lucas.

Well I'm glad that peachy didn't ruin the movie for me.

Soul Daddy
05-21-2005, 05:34 PM
And hopefully we haven't ruined anything for TStone.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only watched Revenge of the Sith and episode 4 yesterday...I don't remember the Emperor in episode 4 so maybe it was in 5 or six?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I lumping in all of the changes from 4,5 &amp;6.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god you are retarded.

thatpfunk
05-21-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm as big of a peachy critic as others, but if this mistake was made with any other poster you would apologize...

I don't think anyone has ever apologized for berating her over a misunderstanding.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm as big of a peachy critic as others, but if this mistake was made with any other poster you would apologize...

I don't think anyone has ever apologized for berating her over a misunderstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't in reference to peachey, it was to dead who jumped all over peachey after he failed to understand a very simple post.

uw_madtown
05-21-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly a spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone needs to punch Dead in the baby maker for needing this so explicitly explained to him.

thatpfunk
05-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Ooops, sorry, I meant to just be quoting you ripping dead, because I agree.

I was talking about Dead being an ass.

[censored]
05-21-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's agreed Dead is being a retarded ass. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KDawgCometh
05-21-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

better question, when isn't he being a retarded ass?

Dynasty
05-21-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's anybody left who doesn't think Dead has practically no capacity to respectfully deal with other people, this thread should be shown to them. His comments in this entire thread show what a genuine jackass he behaves like on a regular basis.

Dead, here's a special message just for you.

<font color="white">Count Dooku dies early in the new film.

Anakin turns when Mace Windu (Samuel Jackson) is fighting Chancellor Palpatine.

Padme dies while giving birth to Luke and Leia. </font>

kerssens
05-21-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm not Dead but I read your special message to him...I thought the first thing you said was pretty damn coo.

maryfield48
05-21-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This must b the ironic post uf the day!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or yours is. I can't decide.

Non_Comformist
05-21-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So it's agreed Dead IS A retarded ass. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

maryfield48
05-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey Dynasty,

If <font color="white">"Mace Windu" </font> gets a <font color="white">"(Samuel Jackson)"</font>, why doesn't <font color="white">"Count Dooku" </font> get a <font color="white"> "(Frank Langella)" </font> ?

Just curious.

Mangatang
05-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Anyone who watches the digitally remastered copies of Star Wars is a chump. You've got to go get the originals (on VHS), not the ones where they added scenes, changed things around, and messed up the special effects.

I was furious to find out that the DVD release did not have the different versions of each movie (the original and the stupid ones). They just have the stupid ones.

JackWilson
05-21-2005, 09:42 PM
To each his own, but IMO criticizing Star Wars for its plot is like slagging Michael Jordan because he didn't dominate baseball.

Pocket Trips
05-21-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Dynasty,

If <font color="white">"Mace Windu" </font> gets a <font color="white">"(Samuel Jackson)"</font>, why doesn't <font color="white">"Count Dooku" </font> get a <font color="white"> "(Frank Langella)" </font> ?

Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because count dooku is played by Christopher Lee not Frank Langella?

TimM
05-21-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Obi-Wan let his force die on purpose so that Luke could witness Vader "killing" him. He wanted Luke to use his feelings for good instead of using his feelings for evil like Anikan did. Obi-Wan also wanted to use his death as a catalyst for Luke going to learn from Yoda in ESB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This light saber battle also diverted the attention of the stormtroopers in the landing bay, allowing others to get back to the ship. (At least until Luke opens his big mouth).

cab4656
05-22-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly a spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's lame that they edited it. They left the original Obi-wan, but changed Anakin. When Obi-wan becomes a force ghost thingy, he keeps his current appearance. But when Anakin becomes one, he shaves 30 years off his life. There was no need for this change.

peachy
05-22-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly a spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's lame that they edited it. They left the original Obi-wan, but changed Anakin. When Obi-wan becomes a force ghost thingy, he keeps his current appearance. But when Anakin becomes one, he shaves 30 years off his life. There was no need for this change.

[/ QUOTE ]

guess they just felt he needed to be his former good self...but i still didnt like it /images/graemlins/frown.gif imagine how the orignial dude musta felt!!

Dynasty
05-22-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
guess they just felt he needed to be his former good self...but i still didnt like it /images/graemlins/frown.gif imagine how the orignial dude musta felt!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sebastian Shaw died in 1994.

Lucas said he included Heyden's image to link the two trilogies.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But when Anakin becomes one, he shaves 30 years off his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually makes sense to me. Anakin died 30 years prior, there is no "current" Anakin to show. I like the change.

renodoc
05-22-2005, 01:55 AM
"We've analyzed their attack sir and there is a danger, shall I have your ship standing by?"

"Evacuate?, In our momment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Popinjay
05-22-2005, 02:05 AM
I love the change. I just watched all 3 original movies after seeing ep 3 on friday. Seeing Anakin back as his "good" self is great and really does link the two trilogies nicely.

daryn
05-22-2005, 02:12 AM
i don't like the changes in general,

for instance the music that used to be at the end of rotj was awesome. now it sucks.

[censored]
05-22-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I love the change. I just watched all 3 original movies after seeing ep 3 on friday. Seeing Anakin back as his "good" self is great and really does link the two trilogies nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked it as well as it brings the entire Anakin story full circle. I guess I won't bother asking how if Qui Gon, Obi Wan and Yoda had to learn to do become part of the force at death how Vader would have known seeing as his mentor was the emperor.

BoxTree
05-22-2005, 03:27 AM
"LUKE: It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-sixteen back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."

Womp rats.

tbach24
05-22-2005, 10:51 AM
I watched it last night (first time in maybe 10 years) and it was amazing. I think I'm going to try and watch all of the Star Wars again.

jstnrgrs
05-22-2005, 11:10 AM
This is the first time I've seen that, and it's really stupid. Shouldn't Anakin have been about 45 when he died? Why would his ghost be a young Anakin, while Obi-wan's ghost is old? Thsi doesn't make any sense. [censored] George Lucas.

jstnrgrs
05-22-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This actually makes sense to me. Anakin died 30 years prior, there is no "current" Anakin to show. I like the change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, anakin comes back just before he dies at the end of ROTJ, an when he does, he's old.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the first time I've seen that, and it's really stupid. Shouldn't Anakin have been about 45 when he died? Why would his ghost be a young Anakin, while Obi-wan's ghost is old? Thsi doesn't make any sense. [censored] George Lucas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, it makes perfect sense. Anakin died 30 years prior. That's the Anakin you see, the one prior to his death. Same with Kenobi.

jstnrgrs
05-22-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, it makes perfect sense. Anakin died 30 years prior. That's the Anakin you see, the one prior to his death. Same with Kenobi.

[/ QUOTE ]

So who was that old pale guy underneath the Vader mask just before he dies? I think he's Anakin, because he had repented at that time.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So who was that old pale guy underneath the Vader mask just before he dies? I think he's Anakin, because he had repented at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should be complaining that it originally wasn't a stub with no limbs, or a dude with computer limbs. Plus you should want the deformed face as well, right? Either way they need to change the "original". Just because it's original doesn't mean that it was perfect.

maryfield48
05-22-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Dynasty,

Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because count dooku is played by Christopher Lee not Frank Langella?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! Brain fart.

Brock Landers
05-22-2005, 12:56 PM
On a little sidebar, I just watched ESB again last night. Who is Yoda talking about when the vision of Obi-Wan says (about Luke), "he is our last chance". then Yoda replies, "No, there is another".?

trying2learn
05-22-2005, 12:59 PM
leia

Dynasty
05-22-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a little sidebar, I just watched ESB again last night. Who is Yoda talking about when the vision of Obi-Wan says (about Luke), "he is our last chance". then Yoda replies, "No, there is another".?

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally, Luke was going to have a twin sister which would first appear in Episodes 7-9. But, in Return of the Jedi Leia became that sister.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally, Luke was going to have a twin sister which would first appear in Episodes 7-9. But, in Return of the Jedi Leia became that sister.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched ESB last night and it seemed to me that despite the kiss in the beginning between Luke and Leia, Lucas planned even at that point to move that part of the storyline into the (at that time) current trilogy. In particular, Luke being able to communicate with Leia at the end is a pretty big hint.

peachy
05-22-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hes talkin about his sister leia

although to me they messed this up because obi won knew about both children in III ggrrrr

tbach24
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I just finished Empire Strikes Back. I now feel awful, as if I've missed an important element of my childhood. I think sometime this summer I'll do the 1-6 marathon thing.

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

although to me they messed this up because obi won knew about both children in III ggrrrr

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched ESB last night and thought about this, and it could well be that Obi Wan doesn't know that Leia can use the force.

KDawgCometh
05-22-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched ESB last night and thought about this, and it could well be that Obi Wan doesn't know that Leia can use the force.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, maybe not. Even if Annikan's medichlorins count was evenly halved between Leia and Luke, they would still both be very powerful Jedi's because his was through the roof. So one would figure that he would know enough to think that Leia at least would have hints of the force in her

Clarkmeister
05-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Do we even know if it normally gets transferred genetically? If it does, why is there such a search for young jedi when they could just breed like racehorses? Also, since jedi don't normally mate, how do there continue to be new jedi unless it specifically *isn't* genetic? I don't pretend to know, I'm just suggesting that it isn't a huge deal that Kenobi said Luke was the last hope without regard for Leia.

peachy
05-23-2005, 12:48 AM
im startin to hate star wars now...before these new ones the story was right...now stuff doesnt add up and it just makes it blah for me

mason55
05-23-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do we even know if it normally gets transferred genetically? If it does, why is there such a search for young jedi when they could just breed like racehorses? Also, since jedi don't normally mate, how do there continue to be new jedi unless it specifically *isn't* genetic? I don't pretend to know, I'm just suggesting that it isn't a huge deal that Kenobi said Luke was the last hope without regard for Leia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus the line in 3 from Palpatine about the Sith that could create life from Midichlorians?

Soul Daddy
05-23-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im startin to hate star wars now...before these new ones the story was right...now stuff doesnt add up and it just makes it blah for me

[/ QUOTE ]
Such as? I'm not saying there aren't pieces that don't connect well, but they are minimal in my eyes. And most of them can be at least theoretically explained.

peachy
05-23-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Such as? I'm not saying there aren't pieces that don't connect well, but they are minimal in my eyes. And most of them can be at least theoretically explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

the changing of graphics and add ins in the orignials, yoda sayin there is another and obi wan not knowing what he was talking about, the differences in yoda...just to name a few...i just felt meh about it

Soul Daddy
05-23-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the changing of graphics and add ins in the orignials, yoda sayin there is another and obi wan not knowing what he was talking about, the differences in yoda...just to name a few...i just felt meh about it

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe Obi-Wan is a misogynist and couldn't fathom that a woman could do the job, therefore he dismissed that possibility long ago. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jedi
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But when Anakin becomes one, he shaves 30 years off his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Vader "becomes" good again with his last act of throwing the Emperor down into the Death Star's core. He is good again, and should be memorialized like that when he's dead. Other than that, if they had aged Hayden 30 years for the holographic shot, I wouldn't have minded so much.