PDA

View Full Version : carpet problem

Joe826
05-21-2005, 02:57 PM
the other day i spilled a huge pitcher of water on my floor. i made a half-assed attempt at drying it up but figured it was just water so it'd dry and everything would be fine. a few days later it smells really musty and bad, almost swamp-like. is there anyway i can get that smell out short of doing any real work? it can't be dried anymore than it already is and i think the fact that i live in a basement doesn't help.

gorie
05-21-2005, 05:18 PM
try sprinkling baking soda , or one of those powder carpet fresheners , let it sit awhile and vacuum. hopefully that will help.. i've never had to do it before but it's suppose to help remove musty odors.

fluxrad
05-21-2005, 05:40 PM
fess up. it was bong water wasn't it.

you'll never get that smell out.

never.

i'm serious.

i should know.

never.

bernie
05-22-2005, 05:09 AM
If it's been there awhile the best bet is to pull the carpet up and replace the pad (if there is any and it's not a glue down) underneath it.

Then spray the backing of the carpet with a disinfectant or something that will kill mold. Restretch the carpet back in and it should be good to go.

Pretty easy really. But then, I used to be a carpet installer.

b

Joe826
05-22-2005, 05:17 AM
can you come do it for me? i think you only live like, 4 hours away /images/graemlins/smile.gif. i'm gonna try gorie's idea before i go tearing things up. thanks for the input though.

bernie
05-22-2005, 05:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm gonna try gorie's idea before i go tearing things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
can you come do it for me? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4 hours? I charge too much. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I retired from it in 2002. I only offer ideas now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b

mantasm
05-22-2005, 05:40 AM
i'd recommend some pet odor remover or febreeze type stuff, spray it on there and let it soak in about 15 minutes then put down some towels and walk around on them til it's thoroughly dry

ethan
05-22-2005, 05:51 AM
White vinegar does a pretty good job on mildewed clothing (put some in the washing machine, run the clothes through, then wash them again just with detergent.) I'm not entirely sure if this works on mildewed carpet, but if all else fails it might be worth a shot.

peachy
05-22-2005, 06:07 AM
vingar...it smells like a bitch for a lil bit...but itll get it out...dilute it some...this gets blood out of carpets which is near impossible...

peachy
05-22-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
try sprinkling baking soda , or one of those powder carpet fresheners , let it sit awhile and vacuum. hopefully that will help.. i've never had to do it before but it's suppose to help remove musty odors.

[/ QUOTE ]

this wont remove the odor this just masks it /images/graemlins/frown.gif try the vingar over it...then put these over taht and vaccum when its NOT wet!!

bernie
05-22-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this wont remove the odor this just masks it /images/graemlins/frown.gif try the vingar over it...then put these over taht and vaccum when its NOT wet!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Key point is when it's not wet. If you put powder on it when wet, lots of crap can happen.

A wet/dry vac, deep steam cleaner may work also.

b