PDA

View Full Version : 11 year old girl throws perfect game

Clarkmeister
05-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Not only that, she strikes out everyone. Pretty impressive.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/little_league_pitcher

OAKFIELD, N.Y. - Katie Brownell is in a Little League all her own. The 11-year-old — the only girl playing in the Oakfield-Alabama Little League program — pitched a perfect game Saturday for her Dodgers. She struck out all 18 batters she faced in the six-inning, 11-0 victory over the Yankees.

Oakfield-Alabama officials said they can't remember anybody ever throwing a perfect game in this western New York league between Buffalo and Rochester.

In two games on the mound, Katie has struck out 32 of 33 batters. And she's hitting .714 through the team's first three games.

"She's been pitching for three years, but she really came on and excelled this year," said team manager Jeff Sage.

Katie was almost pulled out of Saturday's game until the scorekeeper reminded her coach she had a no-hitter going. Katie then kept mowing down the opposition and when the last batter was fanned, the crowd erupted.

"Everybody congratulated me," she said.

augie00
05-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Wow, that is pretty impressive even if it's little league. Does anybody know the rules regarding women playing Major League Baseball?

ttleistdci
05-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Sick.
I'm definitely inserting her into my fantasy baseball pitching rotation.

handsome
05-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Haha, she struck out 18 Yankees.

bisonbison
05-21-2005, 12:35 PM
She's a 32 year old dominican man.

DaveKForty7
05-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't see what's so impressive, by the soudns of things I could destroy in that league.

augie00
05-21-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see what's so impressive, by the soudns of things I could destroy in that league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you 11?

soah
05-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Are you an 11 year old girl too?

Voltron87
05-21-2005, 12:39 PM
pics?

jedi
05-21-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that is pretty impressive even if it's little league. Does anybody know the rules regarding women playing Major League Baseball?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are any rules. If you're good enough, you can play. There was a woman playing minor league ball not too long ago.

Joe826
05-21-2005, 01:57 PM
i'm pretty sure they have to let them play. a similar situation occurred on saved by the bell when slater was forced to wrestle a girl.

Clarkmeister
05-21-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure they have to let them play. a similar situation occurred on saved by the bell when slater was forced to wrestle a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

The Dude
05-21-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the... 11-0 victory over the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the important part.

Jack of Arcades
05-21-2005, 02:02 PM
She gave up 15 hits in her next start.

tbach24
05-21-2005, 02:02 PM
I wonder if she'll give me lessons

The4Aces
05-21-2005, 03:01 PM
its little leauge. the other team was probably horrible. I remember when i used to play some of the teams were god awful.

ThaSaltCracka
05-21-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its little leauge. the other team was probably horrible. I remember when i used to play some of the teams were god awful.

[/ QUOTE ]who cares???? I never saw anyone pitch a no hitter in LL. And I saw some really good pitchers.

B00T
05-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I thought this was going to be about bowling. You just saved me some self-inflicting painful doom.

augie00
05-21-2005, 03:16 PM
She flippin' struck everyone out.

pshreck
05-21-2005, 03:17 PM
This is such a non-story. Its freaking little league. I wish they would care to report the season batting average of the other team. I wouldnt be surprised if 4 of the 9 in the lineup were hitting between 0 and .050. Jesus... little league.

brassnuts
05-21-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, however I bet this girl was pitching underhand to other 11 year old girls. Still, an incredible feat. Actually, I did misread the article, it says it was a little league game, so maybe it was normal pitching.

brassnuts
05-21-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, one time I struck out 8 of 9 batters I faced in 3 innings once. And, I wasn't even the best pitcher in little league. Some teams just suck.

SuitedSixes
05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She's a 32 year old dominican man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comedy. Gold.

This goes beyond a perfect game, striking out all of her opponents with no walks is an Immaculate Game. A little league game with no walks, is amazing by itself.

I feel bad for the outfielders, that had to be hella boring.

offTopic
05-21-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pics?

[/ QUOTE ] http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~ams22/Mussina.jpg

tbach24
05-21-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, no way he could throw a perfect game against little leaguers. Although he is a little girl.

contentless
05-21-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Mussina had been pitching, you can be sure that Carl Everett would've gotten a hit off of him in the 6th inning.

EliteNinja
05-22-2005, 02:53 AM
I'm happy if I bowl over 80!

Dead
05-22-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Mussina had been pitching, you can be sure that Carl Everett would've gotten a hit off of him in the 6th inning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't disrespect Mussina.

Sponger15SB
05-22-2005, 03:45 AM
She must have access to the latest undetectable steriod.

I for one demand a piss test to clear her name.

MicroBob
05-22-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a woman playing minor league ball not too long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a few women that have been put on minor-league rosters pretty much gimmicks.
None of them were actually good enough to make the team otherwise.

I saw a girl in the minor-leagues in 1994 in the independent Frontier League. They would let her get an at-bat if the game was out of hand and if they didn't think the opposing pitcher would put one in her ear (as some guys said they would do).
I never saw her enter a game...but in batting-practice she was absolutely awful.

I believe the girl that was on the St. Paul roster in the Northern League a couple of years ago was probably a bit better than the one I saw...but she also would not have been on their team if not for ther gender.

Now in hockey there actually have been a couple of women who played in the minor-leagues who were pretty good. Manon Rheaume I think was the name of a half-decent goalie who bounced around to a few different minor-league teams at the AA and AAA levels I believe.

Dead
05-22-2005, 04:32 AM
I believe that the right woman is capable of playing second base in the majors. That is the position best suited for a woman player. It requires quick footwork and agility, but not a lot of power.

Jack of Arcades
05-22-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the right woman is capable of playing second base in the majors. That is the position best suited for a woman player. It requires quick footwork and agility, but not a lot of power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second base is a VERY physically demanding position, and even tougher on the body than shortstop.

Dead
05-22-2005, 04:37 AM
It's not as physically demanding as the outfield. That's why outfielders move in normally, and not the other way around.

MicroBob
05-22-2005, 04:38 AM
We would need a woman capable of playing 2nd base in the minors first.

Don't get me wrong.
I am probably more interested in women's athletics than most on this forum. I used to broadcast college women's hoops and those girls took their game REALLY freaking seriously.
Women's soccer or hoops or hockey...I can get into those games (whereas a lot of guys just think that women's athletics is a joke).

But to my knowledge there has yet to be a woman who is good enough to play in the minors.
Of course, anyone with decent skills usually heads into softball so their not learning the exact same way.

I wonder if some of those olympic softball players COULD have been good enough to play low-A ball if they had been playing and learning baseball instead all this time.

Jack of Arcades
05-22-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not as physically demanding as the outfield. That's why outfielders move in normally, and not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?

contentless
05-22-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't disrespect Mussina.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get the reference?

bisonbison
05-22-2005, 12:52 PM

Okay, at this point Dead is just intentionally saying stupid stuff to pick fights.

goofball
05-22-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm just going to point out that sluggers who can do little else generally playing outfield and never play second or short.

jba
05-22-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only that, she strikes out everyone. Pretty impressive.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/little_league_pitcher

OAKFIELD, N.Y. - Katie Brownell is in a Little League all her own. The 11-year-old — the only girl playing in the Oakfield-Alabama Little League program — pitched a perfect game Saturday for her Dodgers. She struck out all 18 batters she faced in the six-inning, 11-0 victory over the Yankees.

Oakfield-Alabama officials said they can't remember anybody ever throwing a perfect game in this western New York league between Buffalo and Rochester.

In two games on the mound, Katie has struck out 32 of 33 batters. And she's hitting .714 through the team's first three games.

"She's been pitching for three years, but she really came on and excelled this year," said team manager Jeff Sage.

Katie was almost pulled out of Saturday's game until the scorekeeper reminded her coach she had a no-hitter going. Katie then kept mowing down the opposition and when the last batter was fanned, the crowd erupted.

"Everybody congratulated me," she said.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's going to crack my ass up when 11 year old Katie Brownell of upstate new york turns out to be 17 year old Maria Ramirez of the dominican republic.

offTopic
05-23-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's going to crack my ass up when 11 year old Katie Brownell of upstate new york turns out to be 17 year old Miguel Ramirez of the dominican republic.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Reef
05-23-2005, 03:28 PM
sexy

contentless
05-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Here's an actual picture that should show that Katie Brownell isn't secretly Miguel Ramirez:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/19/nyregion/19perfect.html

Of course, I'm just racially profiling.

Leo99
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Blonde hair, no Miguel. But she is 5'8" That's tall for 11.

bump
05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/05/19/nyregion/perfect.184.1.jpg