PDA

View Full Version : AJs flops top pair

therockofgibraltar
05-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Pacific 0.5/1

I am UTG with AJ /images/graemlins/club.gif and raise. MP calls and so does one guy from LP.

flop:
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet. MP raises. LP cold-calls.

turn:

9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet. MP raises. LP calls. I call.

river:

3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check. MP bets. LP fold. I call.

MrWookie47
05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I would 3bet the flop.

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Did you call he flop? You should 3-bet and slow down to a cap.

therockofgibraltar
05-21-2005, 12:15 PM
I used to but nowadays they always hit that flush and I just lose more!
Well, at least I feel like that.

PS. In matter of fact, I was just in a hand with KQ and flopped top two pair. raised the flop and capped the turn. two oppoment and you guessed it, one got that flush on river.

I hate this because when I'm the one who is drawing, I never catch!

Down 200 BB now (gone broke twice in my career already). I am a good player but my luck is terrible /images/graemlins/grin.gif
(hint: this was a joke.... not the broke part though)

therockofgibraltar
05-21-2005, 12:17 PM
should i "always" 3-bet with few opponents even if there are flush draw on board???

I usually wait on turn before firing.

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
should i "always" 3-bet with few opponents even if there are flush draw on board???

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but in this case it's not very likely MP is playing a flushdraw so I 3-bet. LP could have the flushdraw, but he won't get a freecard either way.

MrWookie47
05-21-2005, 12:38 PM
If you currently have the best hand, you are making money for every bet that goes into the pot (except in extremely rare circumstances). First of all, you cannot live in fear that every time there are two spades on the board, one of your opponents has a flush draw. That's ridiculous.

Let's assume, though, that every time there is a two flush on the board, your opponent has a flush draw. That draw comes in about 35% of the time, giving your opponent an equity edge whenever there is at least one other player in the hand. If you currently have the best hand, every bet that goes into the pot is paying both you and the flush draw money. The other players are paying. Now, if was heads up, the flush draw loses its equity edge, and is paying you money to see the next cards. In both cases, though, you are getting paid for each bet that goes into the pot when you have the best hand.

Lastly, the flush draw is going to see the river virtually every time, and they will almost always be correct to do so. There is virtually no way you can offer a flush draw improper odds if you wait until the turn to bet or raise. If the draw hits, they win. If not, you win. And you'll win more than your fair share if you currently have the best hand.

Don't live in fear. Get your money in the pot when you are ahead.

therockofgibraltar
05-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks! This clarified couple of things I have been thinking about when playing against flush draws!

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you currently have the best hand, you are making money for every bet that goes into the pot (except in extremely rare circumstances). First of all, you cannot live in fear that every time there are two spades on the board, one of your opponents has a flush draw. That's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's assume, though, that every time there is a two flush on the board, your opponent has a flush draw. That draw comes in about 35% of the time, giving your opponent an equity edge whenever there is at least one other player in the hand. If you currently have the best hand, every bet that goes into the pot is paying both you and the flush draw money. The other players are paying. Now, if was heads up, the flush draw loses its equity edge, and is paying you money to see the next cards. In both cases, though, you are getting paid for each bet that goes into the pot when you have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we knew LP held a FD I like OP's line.

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, the flush draw is going to see the river virtually every time, and they will almost always be correct to do so. There is virtually no way you can offer a flush draw improper odds if you wait until the turn to bet or raise. If the draw hits, they win. If not, you win. And you'll win more than your fair share if you currently have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
But if we're up against a FD we like the money to go into the pot on the turn. There's no reason to "make the FD pay" on the flop.

MrWookie47
05-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Perhaps I should have been more clear. You're right. We're not making the flush draw pay on the flop. We are, however, making the other poor sap pay. If we 3bet the flop and lead the turn, we're gaining more money from a flush draw (a flush draw is unlikely to raise the turn regardless of whether we 3bet the flop) and the other chump combined than we are with the SnG.