PDA

View Full Version : Statistics Problem

msk
12-08-2002, 12:32 PM
The odds of getting precisely AA in Hold-em or AAA in Stud are very easy to figure out. As Sklansky says (more or less)about a slightly harder problem in his book on Tourneys: If you do not know how to do this you should not be reading this. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

What are the odds of getting AA plus any other card as a starting hand in a three card game like Stud or Crazy Pineapple or Pineapple? [My friend the statistics professor got this in precisely 5 seconds, and he doesn't even play poker].

(If you play Stud or Pineapple, you should know this).

Extra credit: What are the odds of getting AA plus any other non A as the third card?

Please show all work.

Mark Krieger

Bob T.
12-08-2002, 02:45 PM
If it is a problem that can be solved in 5 seconds, why do I have to show my work?

Andy B
12-09-2002, 01:30 PM
I've played a fair amount of stud in my day, and I've had a certain amount of success. I don't know the answer to your problem, and while I'm sure I could figure it out (it would take me more than five seconds; I'm kinda slow), I don't think that knowing the answer would make me play any better. Why "should" I know the answer to this problem?