PDA

View Full Version : AK lacks aggression?

mimih
05-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Maybe I should have 3-bet preflop and the flop /images/graemlins/blush.gif and maybe I should have done something on the river, but I got scared haha... Hmmm
I could have played this better?
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (21.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 24.75 BB

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Raise preflop and flop and go from there. These are very easy raises you've got to start doing.

jrz1972
05-21-2005, 10:37 AM
I cried when I read this.

3-bet PF. 3-bet the flop. 3-bet the turn. If they are still capping after all that aggression, then maybe I slow down on the river.

I would say you slowed down too soon, but you have to first be going fast to "slow down." On this hand, you never got out of Park.

numeri
05-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Without any reads, a raise from UTG+1 usually means a strong hand. I don't mind the pre-flop cold-call, though a 3-bet is better. You might not have the best hand, but with two callers in the middle you probably have more than 25% equity.

After that, I can't believe you didn't bet or raise. Why did you call the flop? What were you afraid of? At that point, you're behind A2 and 22. There is absolutely no reason to slow down here. You almost definitely have CO beat - it is most likely a much weaker A. The rest plays differently from there.

On the turn, I'd be more afraid of QQ from UTG+1, but it's hard for us to know the way it was played out.

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the pre-flop cold-call

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually it's awfull, terrible and discusting.

aK13
05-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Raises need to go in preflop, flop and turn.

johnnymac
05-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Contact Party and ask them why your raise button isn't working!
Joe

Shillx
05-21-2005, 03:05 PM
This hand looks okay. If any other card hits on 4th street, I'm taking my chances that the CO doesn't have a boat but the prospects in this hand don't look so good since one of them probably has you beat. I'm not throwing my hand away here but there really isn't a good place to get aggressive in this hand. A turn 3bet is debatable I guess but not required by all means. 3-betting the flop is just silly.

Brad

Duerig
05-21-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3-betting the flop is just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain?

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain?

[/ QUOTE ]
Irony.

Shillx
05-21-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have position so let's use it. We also have the ability to hand read too so let's use that as well. What does the CO probably hold???

1) An ace
2) A flush draw

Getting lots of money in on the flop does very little if (2) applies here. Getting 2 bets in there on the turn when he misses the flush draw (with just 7 outs is some good EV for us). If he has an ace, he will make it 3-bets on the turn and then we get to cap it with the best possible ace. I like it.

Brad

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have position so let's use it. We also have the ability to hand read too so let's use that as well. What does the CO probably hold???

1) An ace
2) A flush draw

Getting lots of money in on the flop does very little if (2) applies here. Getting 2 bets in there on the turn when he misses the flush draw (with just 7 outs is some good EV for us). If he has an ace, he will make it 3-bets on the turn and then we get to cap it with the best possible ace. I like it.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I agree, but I have to think about this. Not 3-betting preflop is plain bad, however.

Duerig
05-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Awesome, thanks

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I believe I like 3-betting the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Getting lots of money in on the flop does very little if (2) applies here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not entirely true. A flushdraw has 25% equity (not the usual 35%) and we have others to collect bets from.

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 2 bets in there on the turn when he misses the flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]
How are you planning to manage this? If he miss his flush he'll not bet the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has an ace, he will make it 3-bets on the turn and then we get to cap it with the best possible ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure he'll 3-bet any ace against us here. i want to collect bets from the players drawing almost dead and I think it's easier to do that on the flop where they already feel a bit commited to the pot. If CO has the flushdraw he'll check the turn (not good for us) and if he holds an ace he'll bet we raise and face the field with 2 cold.

Shillx
05-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't really see why you think he will check with a flush draw on the turn. If he has a good flush draw, he very well could be betting with the best hand against what the PFR might be holding. Also by betting the turn, we don't really know if he has an ace or a draw so it makes sense for him to bet again since he very well could have trips in that spot and take down the pot if no one else has anything worthy of calling with.

The other reason why I coldcall here is because I would coldcall on the draw. Since I figure to have a hand like KQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif suited when I coldcall, there really aren't many hands that I want to knock out. Anyone holding a pocket pair is not going to fold on a AA2 flop so if the PFR is holding 99 or something he isn't going to tap out. The only hands that I will get rid of are those that are drawing super thin like KJ and such. With a crappy flush draw I might 3-bet with the hopes that I can free up some pairing outs, but with any kind of flush draw that I'd be coldcalling with I would have the nut no pair or close to it so coldcalling makes sense.

So really all I'm doing is managing my play such that I play a monster hand exactly like I would play a good draw. It will begin to help you as you move up in limits and start playing against more observent opponents.

Brad

DMBFan23
05-21-2005, 05:31 PM
a flush draw doesn't have great equity against us here.

Shillx
05-21-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a flush draw doesn't have great equity against us here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No but with 4 people in the pot they really doing mind a ton of bets going in. It is highly unlikely that they are drawing dead on a AA2 board. If the board were QQJ or something then it might be a bit more scary but not really here.

DMBFan23
05-21-2005, 05:36 PM
that's true, but saying that pumping the pot with a flush draw in serves no purpose isn't fully accurate IMO. the best hand and the best draw make money on flop bets, and we probably have both.

Nick Royale
05-21-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see why you think he will check with a flush draw on the turn. If he has a good flush draw, he very well could be betting with the best hand against what the PFR might be holding. Also by betting the turn, we don't really know if he has an ace or a draw so it makes sense for him to bet again since he very well could have trips in that spot and take down the pot if no one else has anything worthy of calling with.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think he should keep betting for deception purposes? Even the worst LAG will know he has no folding equity after you're calling 2 cold on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
The other reason why I coldcall here is because I would coldcall on the draw. Since I figure to have a hand like KQ suited when I coldcall, there really aren't many hands that I want to knock out. Anyone holding a pocket pair is not going to fold on a AA2 flop so if the PFR is holding 99 or something he isn't going to tap out. The only hands that I will get rid of are those that are drawing super thin like KJ and such. With a crappy flush draw I might 3-bet with the hopes that I can free up some pairing outs, but with any kind of flush draw that I'd be coldcalling with I would have the nut no pair or close to it so coldcalling makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree. Many players are calling 2 cold with monsters and when facing 2 cold on the turn 99 can't be too happy with his hand facing this board. And don't give the .5-1 players too much credit for reading hands. They'll most often just think about what they have and how much they have to put in the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
So really all I'm doing is managing my play such that I play a monster hand exactly like I would play a good draw. It will begin to help you as you move up in limits and start playing against more observent opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
That I can agree with. But at this limit it's useless. I'm sure the vast majority of the .5-1 players will put you on an A when raising the turn. I would if I was playing the hand, since it looks like a like a slowplayed monster at .5-1. Especially if no draw hits on the turn.

I still think 3-betting the flop is best by far.