PDA

View Full Version : leftovers

gorie
05-21-2005, 09:48 AM
i made french toast the other day (eggs, milk, vanilla) and had some of the mixture left over so i covered it with seran wrap and put it in the fridge expecting to use it the next day, but i didn't.

it's been like 2 days now. think its safe to still use it ? or should i just throw it out and make some more ?

left overs always make me nervous (except day after thanksgiving leftovers, those rule). like this girl at work brings in food for lunch that she'll mention she made like 4 days ago. i don't know how people can do that !

The Dude
05-21-2005, 09:50 AM
It's fine, but I usually just make scrambled eggs out of the extra frech-toast juice.

DBowling
05-21-2005, 09:53 AM
i think it is probably still good to use but i would not want to risk it.

DBowling
05-21-2005, 09:54 AM
I also throw away perfectly fine looking apples because i am afraid to cut them open and find out if they are still good. so maybe i am not a good source for advice

Lazymeatball
05-21-2005, 09:57 AM
you plan on cooking said leftovers right? I find cooking is pretty good at killing any bacteria caused by spoilage. It helped mankind evolve thousands of years ago. it should work for yout too.

jakethebake
05-21-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's fine, but I usually just make scrambled eggs out of the extra frech-toast juice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent idea!

gorie
05-21-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
well i used it, yum. hopefully i won't be regretting it shortly ! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

good idea w/ making the scrambled eggs from it. i thought about that last time but i decided i wouldn't like vanilla tasting scrambled eggs, so i didn't.

KyleC
05-21-2005, 10:50 AM
im in a culinary program to become a chef so i just learned about this stuff like foodborne illness and intoxication and stuff and your food will be good for 7 days ..as long as you put the food back in the fridge right away and the temperature in your fridge is 40 degress or lower so its all good for you to eat

PoBoy321
05-21-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and the temperature in your fridge is 40 degress or lower so its all good for you to eat

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep my fridge temperature at 41 degrees. Am I doomed?

KyleC
05-21-2005, 11:00 AM
not necessarily the unsafe zone for food is between 41 deg and 170 i believe if food sits out between those temps for longer then 4 hrs it goes bad...generally you should set your fridge at 38-40 to give you some leeway considering the thermo might be off by a degree or two..so crank your fridge down a bit and you'll be fine