PDA

View Full Version : 9-10 suited in the SB

Noo Yawk
12-08-2002, 11:06 AM
20-40 table pretty loose game. I get 9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif -10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in the SB. 6 limpers to me, I complete, BB raises, all call. The BB is enamoured with raising small pairs, suited cards, etc in multiway pots. I've seen him make this play several times.
The flop: 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif I check, BB bets, 4 callers, I raise, all call.
The turn is: 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif I bet, BB raises, 1 caller (solid player), the action's back to you, call or 3 bet?

Manzanita
12-08-2002, 02:19 PM
NY,

It appears that the BB is not afraid of you having trip 9s and the solid player is on a flush draw (probably with the As or Ks). I would just call the turn raise.

Now how do you play the river? If the flush draw gets there (and it's not the 7s) I would check-fold if the solid player either bets or calls/raises a bet from the BB. If the river is a blank I would check-call a probable bet from the BB. And if you fill-up (or better) then obviously bet the river.

-- Manzanita

Manzanita
12-08-2002, 02:24 PM
NY,

I forgot to mention that you should have beat the BB to the punch and raised pre-flop. Your T9s is certainly strong enough to justify it.

-- Manzanita

RINCON
12-08-2002, 04:34 PM
first of all to the post--three bet the turn and make the solid player pay for his flush draw...Manzanita don't whant to be rude but you obviously don't know jack about poker!!!

RINCON

Ed Miller
12-08-2002, 05:01 PM
I would bet out on the flop, hoping to get raised so I could 3-bet. On the turn... your hand looks fantastic, but I don't think it's quite as good as it looks. BB probably either has a 9, a set, or a made straight. It's possible he also has an overpair. The solid player calling to me means either a 9 or a flush draw. IMHO, your flush draw doesn't look nearly as good here as it often would because another flush draw might be out there (probably a better one). A set has you drawing to 7 outs... 4 of them possibly to chop if MP has a 9 as well. I would just call on the turn.

Herb N.
12-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Gosh I guess I dont know jack about poker as well as I agree completely with Manzanita's post.No skill but a 30yr. lucky streak keeps me winnen.My guess is: Manzanita has been lucky too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dynasty
12-08-2002, 06:27 PM
I think you've got an easy 3-bet on the turn. Your flop check-raise looks like you have a flush draw.

mikelow
12-08-2002, 07:52 PM
3-bet this one. I think you still have some outs if you don't have the best hand.

PokerPrince
12-08-2002, 07:52 PM
Reraise the turn! I like your flop play.

PokerPrince

Sooga
12-08-2002, 07:58 PM
Yea, I'd definitely 3-bet. Even if you're behind, you got 2 super-outs (the 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and the case 9), and a whole boatload of other outs to make your straight/flush/boat.

Ulysses
12-08-2002, 08:09 PM
3-bet, but I think it's a toss-up. If you're worried about not having the best hand, I suggest spiking a 10 on the river.

With more players sticking around, I think it's a very easy 3-bet, because they'll stick around with flush draws, open-ended straight draws, etc. With just one player in the middle, I think flat-calling is also fine, but with the range of hands BB could be raising with (those draws, a worse 9, an overpair, etc.), I think the 3-bet is slightly better.

And like I said, if he does have something like 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif, just spike the 10 (or one of your other monster outs) on the river.

Noo Yawk
12-09-2002, 12:11 AM
I 3 bet the turn and the BB and button called. The river was a
2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and I bet. the BB called and the button mucked.
The BB had Q's. My hand was good.
BTW, I agree with Manzanita that raising preflop would have been a reasonable play in this situation about 50% of the time.
Dynasty was the only one to mention what other players would put me on, and I believe this is what makes 3 betting a correct play.
Thanks for the responses-NY

KOJAK
12-09-2002, 12:59 PM
You 3-bet and it's not a tough decision.