PDA

View Full Version : Underbetting with Aces/kings

thabadguy
05-21-2005, 05:45 AM
This is an interesting hand I witnessed at the Foxwoods 5-5 nl game. The "underbetter" in this hand was Doug. i dont remember who the other guy was.
For those of you who dont know Doug, he is a professional, extremely tight,and doesn't play huge pots without the nuts i think. FoxwoodsFiend once told me that he was in a hand against him, FF had JJ and the flop was QJx . FF bet and Doug CR'ed all in, FF had no doubt as to what Doug had and insta-mucked(rightly).
Doug is in MP, raises to 30. Button reraises to 100. Doug called. Flop comes down raibow,king high. Doug bets 30. Button calls. Turn is a blank, doug bets 60. Button calls. River is another blank. Doug bets 40. Button calls.
I think this is a very weird way to play this. If i was in the hand, I think i woulda raised with any king or decent pocket pair, which is exactly what he would want.
My question here is, has any1 else tried to implement this sorta milking with Aces, with a decent amount of success. I just cannot make myself bet like this. I normally bet pot on flop, turn and river with aces, when I think im good.
A lotta time, this induces a fold from an inferior hand.

flawless_victory
05-21-2005, 06:05 AM
you said he doesnt play big pots without the nuts, nut he wants ppl to raise him when he is holding only a a pair? if he always bets alot witht the nuts (ex. hand vs. FF), then little bets always mean little hands, huh? he is giving a supercheap showdown to many hands who would pay much more... i think this is pretty hideous.

creedofhubris
05-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Good analysis of opposite problems.

Doug's crazy underbetting on this K-high there ($30 into a $200 pot) says "I have MONSTER" or "I have NOTHING". From a strong player it's usually a monster. But it lets opponent get a showdown for $100. Wack.

You bet huge with aces on all three streets, and so inferior hands (correctly) drop. Now, this works if you're also betting huge with bluffs, but I get the impression that you're not doing that as often (because then you wouldn't have a problem getting calls.) So you need to bet just enough to attract calls from weaker hands. That often means checking a street with aces, or making turn and river value bets of 1/2 pot or smaller.

That does not mean 1/6 pot.

aggie
05-21-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I get the impression that you're not doing that as often (because then you wouldn't have a problem getting calls.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assure you, thabadguy has no problems getting calls /images/graemlins/cool.gif