PDA

View Full Version : Does Cloutier apply?

danno17
05-21-2005, 01:56 AM
I am looking to buy a book on NL tourney poker, and am wondering if TJ's book applies in the same ways to lower buyin tourneys($5-$10 MTT online) the way it does to higher stakes. Thanks.

sngplayer
05-21-2005, 03:56 AM
I just posted a question here re: good tourney books and got some good responses - do a search on my name and check out those threads.

05-21-2005, 03:58 AM
TJ and Tom's books are generally very W/T. They are good to read to see what not to do.

Gavin

slickpoppa
05-21-2005, 04:28 AM
There is some decent advice in the Cloutier book, but there is also a lot of truly terrible advice that makes the book have negative value to an impressionable player. The best book out there on NL tournaments is Harrington on Holdem.

Ross
05-21-2005, 07:58 AM
There are plenty of better books around than Cloutier's I find it rambling and plainly contradictory. If it is valid at all it is in big buy-in comps with slow clocks and deep stacks. Harrington on hold'em is a better bet.

regards

Ross

MeanGreenTT
05-21-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it is valid at all it is in big buy-in comps with slow clocks and deep stacks. Harrington on hold'em is a better bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I'd like to see advice for lower buy-in faster round structures that are the only thing available to some players locally.

Like T700 for $45, 20 minute rounds starting at 10/15.

woodguy
05-21-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it is valid at all it is in big buy-in comps with slow clocks and deep stacks. if your name is T.J., know most of the players and are weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post.

Regards,
Woodguy

A_PLUS
05-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Why do you insist on disrespecting 'The bible of tournament poker'?

It even has the cutest picture of Tom McEvoy holding up a little dog like Paris Hilton on the back. That is worth 25$ right there.

The best part of the book that I remember is soemthing about how TJ played 72 "at the right time". The right time being when he flopped a full house. Pure genius.

That being said, TJ has to be 55-60, who else thinks he would kick my ass in a street fight?

betgo
05-21-2005, 03:38 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2447798&Main=2447798#Post 2447798

Please check out my guide to NLHE tournament play for key tips from Cloutier's book.

betgo
05-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Tell you what. I'll include them here.

The following tips are taken from “No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem” and other books by Cloutier and McEvoy.

You should only reraise preflop with AA or KK.

Say you raise with AK and get two callers. The flop comes AQQ. You should check/fold. While a good player would fold QQ to a raise, it is likely someone called with QQ and has quads.

Making a big overbet push from late position with a small pair is a bad play. It is better to put in a standard raise. Then you can fold if you are beaten or outdrawn.

Unsuited connectors are as good as suited connectors. You are likely to lose money by making a flush that is not the nuts.

setzf
05-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Is this really from their book? this is perhaps some of the stupidest advice i've ever read.

Chalk up another vote for Harrington's book from me.

whiskeytown
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I remember reading one time where they said to play tight, cause you had to get lucky to win a tournament, and you needed to make sure you lasted long enough to get lucky.

That statement probably set my game back two yrs...

RB

betgo
05-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeh, I'm paraphasing, but this is all in "No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem" or "Tournament Poker Practice Hands". "Tournament Poker Practice Hands" is actually a fairly good book. These are a few examples that jump to mind. I could come up with a lot more.

zaxx19
05-21-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chalk up another vote for Harrington's book from me.

[/ QUOTE ]