PDA

View Full Version : New Here

smcannon
05-21-2005, 01:48 AM
Hey Guys,

New poster here. Been playing poker since November of last year. Started with $50 and was on my way in limit poker. Then got bored moved to NL ring games about two months ago. Got bored, and found my thrill with SnGs.

Been playing them every since and don't want to turn back. However, I'm only marginal with them. I am looking for what Howard Lederer described to me in an email as "the edge".

Right now I'm playing a Party skin 5+1. Yeah, yeah, I know about the rake but I don't care. I'm going up and down between 10+1 and 5+1 due to my bankroll management of 30x the buy in.

For the longest time I have been hanging with the ITH crew. And still do in their chatroom. But I'm told this is the place to be to learn SnG's as 2+2 has the best players.

So expect me to be hanging around, dropping some comments, posting my reactions, and seeking advice.

FYI....Right now my ITM percentage is 33% and my total ROI is -16%. My goal is to get my ITM % to at least 40 and my ROI to the same figure.

tech
05-21-2005, 01:51 AM
What is ITH?

bluefeet
05-21-2005, 01:55 AM
i like to spend a fair amount of time reviewing hand history. if you'd like any feedback, send me a private message. i'll give you an email you can ship'm to.

smcannon
05-21-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is ITH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet Texas Hold 'em. Matthew Hilgar's group.

Blarg
05-21-2005, 04:12 AM
I used to spend some time there, but some folks, like ICFishies, really rubbed me the wrong way. More importantly, though, there are only so many hours in the day, so I slowly drifted over to 2+2 myself.

ITH was a very good and useful book, and Matt is a cool guy. There really are a lot of nice people on the ITH forums, too. It's kind of slow-moving, though.

Welcome to 2+2.

I'd advise that if at all possible, you play the 10's if you play Party. I was stubborn about ignoring the effect of the rake, too, figuring I needed to put in my time learning and was willing to pay the price.

But I was just over-intimidated by the 10's. You can either beat both or beat neither. The game concepts that will get you in the money are the same for both, and so are the skill levels for the most part. You'll find some more people who know what they're doing at the 10's, but far from overwhelmingly so. They won't affect your ITM/ROI much.

So save the rake you're blowing and add it into your ROI instead by playing the 10's. Unless your bankroll is truly tiny or you are extremely easily frightened, it's just good sense not to give up that much rake.

Post hands with clearly defined questions, and review as many as you can of others, and your skill will start to increase nicely. Don't be afraid to put your opinion out there and get slammed; it's a little rougher around here than ITH forums usually, but most of it is in a helpful spirit -- in this forum at least. /images/graemlins/wink.gif So get ready to take some lumps, and good luck to you.

The Yugoslavian
05-21-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Guys, New poster here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Been playing poker since November of last year. Started with $50 and was on my way in limit poker. Then got bored moved to NL ring games about two months ago. Got bored, and found my thrill with SnGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...I feel the same way about STTs.

[ QUOTE ]

Been playing them every since and don't want to turn back. However, I'm only marginal with them. I am looking for what Howard Lederer described to me in an email as "the edge".

Right now I'm playing a Party skin 5+1. Yeah, yeah, I know about the rake but I don't care. I'm going up and down between 10+1 and 5+1 due to my bankroll management of 30x the buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep in mind with only 30x the buyin ur ROR (risk of ruin) is fairly high....so if you cannot redepsit $$ then u need a higher roll (altho most likely it's fairly easy for you to redeposit enuf money to play the 11s if u go broke).

[ QUOTE ]

For the longest time I have been hanging with the ITH crew. And still do in their chatroom. But I'm told this is the place to be to learn SnG's as 2+2 has the best players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by best you mean some of the best and many of the luckiest then you came to the right place!

[ QUOTE ]

So expect me to be hanging around, dropping some comments, posting my reactions, and seeking advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look forward to it....try to familiarize yourself with the 'search' function at the top of the forum page as much as possible. Also the 'older archives' link on the right navigation bar (near the bottom)...will allow u to access older threads for searching.

[ QUOTE ]

FYI....Right now my ITM percentage is 33% and my total ROI is -16%. My goal is to get my ITM % to at least 40 and my ROI to the same figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

An ITM% goal of 40 is good goal....a ROI goal of 40% long term won't really be acheivable and isn't a very good goal, IMO.

I'd ignore your stat metrics (*gasp*) altogether and just keep improving your play for all phases of the STT game.

Yugoslav

skipperbob
05-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Rules for Newbies:
1.) Ignore Yugo
2.) There are no other rules