PDA

View Full Version : Food allergies

TMFS9
05-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Two nights ago I went to a Japanese Hibachi grill/sushi restaurant to eat at the hibachi grill. When ordering I decided to try some sushi for the first time as an appetizer, I took the waitress' recommendation with the only exception that it had to be cooked. She recomended something similar to a an egg roll that had tuna along with other ingredients (no sure of the other ingredients). Now I have never been alergic to anything, not even allergies during the spring.

We went for drinks afterwards and about 3 hours later I started to feel bumps on my neck, and just thought I was breaking out. Yesterday morning I woke up with some bumps in an area the size of an half of dollar coin that looks to be hives. By the end of the day the size of the hives about tripled in size and my lymph node feels like it's the size of a beach ball and about to explode.

Now I'm about 90% sure that the sushi is the cause of the hives, has anybody ever experience anything like this, If so how long can I expect to have the rocky mountains on the side of my neck?

stankybank
05-21-2005, 12:23 AM
this sounds a lot like something I had when I ate some bad pizza. I left it in the sun one day and ate it during my lunch break and I broke out similar to what you're describing. Try buying some benadryl (http://www.benadryl.com/) at your local drug store. I'm not sure if it's gonna help you however, for me, the itchiness and bumps decreased.

I'd say the bumps will last for anywhere between 4-10 days. Spread some ointment on if it gets too bad. No big deal. Go to the doctor if it persists for over 10 days though.

bump
05-21-2005, 12:41 AM
I would call the resturant and ask about the ingredients. Food alergies have the property that every time you have a reaction it is more severe than the last one. I have a friend who had a mild shell fish allergy (itchieness in back of throat) who ate a lobster one day and had to be rushed to a hospital...

The above is probably an extreme example however it is still important to know what it is that you are allergic to

Edit: On second thought, with Hibici it could have been any number of things that was cooked with, howveer its still probably good to try to find the source.

slickpoppa
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
This is really weird that you just posted this. Tonight a friend of mine had an allergic reaction to peanuts at a Mongolian restaurant and had to got to the hospital.

TMFS9
05-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah, i'm going to call them to tommorrow to hopefully get to the source. Also I thought about it being the hibachi, but I started thinking that the hibachi grill isn't really any different than a typical grill in the back of a restaurant

daryn
05-21-2005, 02:08 AM
hungry people ain't allergic to [censored]!

Hiding
05-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Ummm, maybe see a doctor? Unless they just keep getting bigger, then keep reporting back here..........

CCass
05-21-2005, 10:33 PM
At 18, I had a severe allergic reaction to shrimp. I had eaten all sorts of seafood/shellfish previously with no problems. I had to be taken to the emergency room.

I have since been tested several times and the tests always show a severe allergy to shellfish. Go see a Dr., as these reactions can be very serious.