PDA

View Full Version : Common situation - PP on Axx rainbox flop

Isura
05-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Common situation OOP with a pocket pair, and your the preflop aggressor. Dreaded ace comes on the flop, you bet, get raised. It's now HU, what's our line here? One reason I find this situation difficult to play is because villian in the hand didn't raise preflop. And this is 6-max, players don't generally limp with AT+. I'd feel better about laying this down if villain had raised preflop, but I'm thinking that this hand deserves a calldown. How low does my pocket pair have to be to consider i) check/folding the turn ii) folding to the flop raise. Do you guys fold anything less than TT. Also, how is calling the turn and check/folding the river if it's another overcard.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button folds...

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 10:49 PM
i am an ATM so you know what my answer is. hope you caught a J!

milesdyson
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
I would fold and take a note that I folded to his flop raise after I raised preflop and an ace fell.

The pot is 5 BB at this point. To show down, it will cost you 2.5 BB. The flop is pretty drawless, and you raised preflop. They should fear the ace.

Isura
05-20-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rivered a Jack. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SCfuji
05-20-2005, 11:05 PM
being results oriented rules!

Isura
05-20-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold and take a note that I folded to his flop raise after I raised preflop and an ace fell.

The pot is 5 BB at this point. To show down, it will cost you 2.5 BB. The flop is pretty drawless, and you raised preflop. They should fear the ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a passive opponent if we call the turn we can often induce a passive opponent to check down a weak ace (A8 or less would be awesome), so it might only cost us 1.5BB to see showdown. For concreteness, let's say 50% of the time they check a better hand on the river. So it really costs us only 2BB to call down. I'm not sure if this is enough though to consider calling down.

Shillx
05-20-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rivered a Jack. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh and then you look at the HH and you see that he actually had K4 and were ahead the whole way...

Take advantage of bad players mistakes. They overplay strong hands in WA/WB spots when they should just call and let you throw your money away with the two jacks. Don't pay them off all the way when they obviously have an ace.

thesharpie
05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Against a passive opponent if we call the turn we can often induce a passive opponent to check down a weak ace (A8 or less would be awesome), so it might only cost us 1.5BB to see showdown. For concreteness, let's say 50% of the time they check a better hand on the river. So it really costs us only 2BB to call down. I'm not sure if this is enough though to consider calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't a passive opponent who would give a free showdown with an ace pretty much always going to have an ace on this flop anyway? Seems like we're hoping for a cheap showdow when we're beat...