PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Circuit NO hand

CondoBrian
05-20-2005, 09:37 PM
This is the first time I've posted a hand. I'll give as many pertinent details as I can, and I'd like any feedback you give. I already know what some of it will be.

I was playing in the 300+30 NLH event at the WSOP circuit in New Orleans. 1000 chips to start. Blinds were at 25/50 and in just a few minutes would move to 50/100. Rounds were 40 minutes long, but the dealers were new and slow (the previous 2 dealers had learned to deal just 4 days ago - literally). I've got about 1300 in chips and although not the table leader I was among the leaders. I had a tight table image, as the only hand I'd turned over so far was pocket rockets.

I'm in the small blind and get 7-2 (yeah, this is where I know what the feedback will be). 3 folds, 2 calls, 4 folds to me. I started to muck and decided that (a) if the flop came perfectly it'd be a great chance to bust somebody or (b) if the flop was rags I could probably steal (the table was quite passive).

The flop came A72, rainbow. I immediately thought, "There's my money flop. Somebody's got an ace, and I'm gonna nail them." I check, BB checks, MP1 bets 200, MP2 calls, I raise to 600. BB folds, MP1 (who has me covered by a small amount) moves all in, MP2 folds (this guy was out when I raised - blatant tell), and I call. The guy turns over AJ off against my two pair.

The turn brought 3d, no help to anyone. The river brings another ace, making the bad guy trips to beat my two pair.

Alright, now to the questions. Let's discount the (very) iffy call before the flop. I'm a bad person, I admit it, if I hadn't called I wouldn't have been busted out, yadda yadda. For half a bet against a passive table - and willing to fold a pair to any pressure - I don't think it was the most terrible thing ever done (maybe close, though).

When you flopped 2 pair with a good read on your opponent saying he's got one pair, could you get away from your two pair for an all in?

Should I have moved all in rather than betting 600 and tried to just win the pot with that bet rather than letting him draw out? What's your line on this?

Honestly, aside from the iffy call before the flop, I think I played it just about right. My read was on and I got all my chips in as a 3-1 favorite. After the turn I was 82-18 to take the pot and be in good shape for the next round as the table chip leader. I hated the way it came down, but that's poker... This has been eating me up for 18 hours now. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thoughts?

TomCollins
05-20-2005, 09:42 PM
The preflop call isn't terrible, although with that structure, I try to conserve chips. Trying to see flops is going to get you nowhere.

With that structure, there is no way to fold 2 pair, even AK I'd say. It all changes with bigger levels or more chips.

randommuppet
05-20-2005, 09:52 PM
pre flop youre getting 7-1, not bad for any two, but as previously stated by Tom with that structure i probably would like some slightly solider starting reqs for a limp (although i may be tempted by the fact its probably the last time i can see a flop for 25 chips today - i know, i know)

given your aim you got exactly what you wanted, short of flopping a house, you got your money in when ahead and he needed to hit one of 2 aces, 3 jacks or for the board to pair one of your non held cards (fantastic grammer eh?)

and then to boot your analysis seems pretty good too, id say

rgds
Stephen

CondoBrian
05-20-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The preflop call isn't terrible, although with that structure, I try to conserve chips. Trying to see flops is going to get you nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree with you here. I had been a folding machine thus far in the tourney, playing very few hands. Honestly, I felt that added to the deception of the hand. I think a couple of the guys at the table nearly fainted when I turned over 7-2. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
With that structure, there is no way to fold 2 pair, even AK I'd say. It all changes with bigger levels or more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I agree. I knew that in the next round, we would begin to feel pressure to make a move since virtually everyone at the table would be 10xBB (a few a bit less, a few a bit more). I felt like I could start to take real advantage of smaller stacks if I could get a few chips of my own. However, to do that I needed to dodge that last ace...

Sounds like we're on the same page on the play, aside perhaps from the initial call. That's about what I expected.

Thanks.

pizzaman
05-20-2005, 10:48 PM
In a tourney, I'm not a huge fan of getting all-in with bottom 2 pair on the flop. I would smooth call and re-raise all-in on a non-threatening turn. In a cash game I will take that action any day.

Roman
05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
this pot is 3way if you flat call, no way I do that here cause they prolly have a bunch of outs vs me combined. The push is fine... cards happen.

locutus2002
05-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Bad Beat.
You got all your chips in and were a 75% favorite against an Ace.

Rushmore
05-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I had considered going to New Orleans for a few of these events.

Based upon your post, I cannot tell you how happy I am that I stayed home and played golf instead.

How can you have "WSOP" in the title, and have a structure nearly utterly devoid of play?

Blecch.

CondoBrian
05-20-2005, 11:17 PM
You pretty well summed up my thoughts. I honestly thought I'd be getting into a tournament with relatively slow rounds and blind progressions. However, that simply didn't turn out to be the case. I knew that I needed to begin accumulating chips before the third round. I don't know how many others at my table realized that, but I didn't get the impression that many - if any - did.

I live on the other side of Lake Ponchartrain from New Orleans. To play in that WSOP circuit event cost me some gas and the buy-in. It was worth that just for the experience. I've played live tournaments before, but never one of this size and scope.

But you're exactly right, this structure did not lend itself to solid play. When I thought of playing the tournament, the concept that I'd be pressured if I didn't make a move within the first hour and half didn't occur to me.

CardSharpCook
05-21-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had considered going to New Orleans for a few of these events.

Based upon your post, I cannot tell you how happy I am that I stayed home and played golf instead.

How can you have "WSOP" in the title, and have a structure nearly utterly devoid of play?

Blecch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think this is fair. I have a tough time imagining them doing real WSOP events any diffently. As in WSOP events, you must take 800 players at noon and bring that down to 9 at 1am. That is 13 hours of play. I don't think they can go any slower than they do. On the other hand, the $1000 event tomorrow has 60 minute levels, I think 2000 chips, and the same blind levels. I hope I'm still playing at 3am.

CSC