PDA

View Full Version : organization

gorie
05-20-2005, 08:57 PM
for you neat freaks (if there are any) - what are some items/furniture you have that you feel are pretty much essential for keeping your place organized to reduce clutter ?

our apt right now is a dump, we have way too much junk and not enough space. but we are moving into a duplex soon and will have a lot more room, i just need to find ways to keep clutter to a minimum to try and keep it more tidy now that i'll have the space to do that.

and yeah, i have a garbage already /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tbach24
05-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Large storage container for dirty clothes. Like one of those giant plastic things. It has been essentail to my ability to clean my room quickly and keep it that way.

TimM
05-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I must be one of those neat freaks. Anyone who sees my place for the first time is usually surprised.

I know you said you had a garbage, but you really should go through all your junk and throw away anything you don't need. It's really liberating to get rid of stuff that just takes up space and that you would carry through life every time you move. If the junk is not all yours, be careful. Get his permission first before throwing out his stuff.

The other secret to keeping things neat is to keep junk out of sight. I am lucky to have lots of closet space here. It doesn't matter if the junk is organized as long as it is hidden. If you don't have closet space, you can get bins for under the bed, furniture with opaque doors and drawers, etc.

gorie
05-20-2005, 09:58 PM
yeah i'm gonna have to throw out a lot of stuff when i move. but i'll probably end up piling up new stuff /images/graemlins/blush.gif

i'll definitely have to buy some bins to hide some clutter !!

some thing i never know what to do with, old bank and credit card statements, old tax forms, etc. or just any paperwork that might be important, health insurance information, etc. it doesn't take up a lot of space right now i just let it pile up in one of my drawers, i don't like it though. i don't know why but i don't like throwing this away even though i know i probably don't need to keep most of it !!

i don't know maybe it will be easier keeping the place looking tidy once i realize the amount of space i have compared to now. i just keep feeling like i need to be prepared or it will turn out the same. i guess the biggest thing is to not be lazy ! i've given up on this place after i realized even after i clean it still looks messy cuz theres no place to put anything (my bf buys way too many books,board games, etc with no place to put them).

having a big basement for storage will be awesome though, i'm excited for that. i know where his books are going already!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TimM
05-20-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some thing i never know what to do with, old bank and credit card statements, old tax forms, etc. or just any paperwork that might be important, health insurance information, etc. it doesn't take up a lot of space right now i just let it pile up in one of my drawers, i don't like it though. i don't know why but i don't like throwing this away even though i know i probably don't need to keep most of it !!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2 drawer wood file cabinet with hanging folders for that stuff, plus all the little instruction sheets that come with any little appliances or furniture you buy these days. I usually throw it all in a junk drawer, and at the end of the year sort it out and put it in the right folders. I then shred last years receipts unless its for a valuable item still under warranty. I keep the statements longer, like 6 or 7 years worth, stapled together in one year batches, then shred 'em when they are older than that. You can use your judgement with some things, you probably don't need phone and utility bills older than one year. But some things are worth keeping. I was able to get a free replacement part for a 3 year old chair that broke because I still had all the instructions and the credit card statement showing when I bought it.

gorie
05-20-2005, 10:49 PM
wow that's some good advice. i really like the idea of the file cabinet for all of that stuff. instruction sheets etc is another one that i never know what to do with. it would help me a lot to have a file cabinet for that type of stuff ! ! /images/graemlins/smile.gif hopefully i can find something cheap..
usually my receipts just get lost in existing clutter and thrown out.

i'm definitely impressed by people who can keep their space clean and organized!

TimM
05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Funny thing is, with this system I often have the instruction sheets last longer than the things they are for!