PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on line 5/10 6max party

Twentysack
05-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($870.5)
Hero ($603)
SB ($1443.5)
BB ($1000)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Villian had just sat down so no reads, but i thought he could be raising with a wide range of hands. I had position on him so i called.

Flop: ($85) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $100</font>, BB calls $55.

I thought that raising too much would have been overdoing it since the same hands were going to call. If it was just a follow up bet then he would fold anyways. His bet did seem a bit weak and i thought i was going to take it down right there. But he called, Im thinking big ace, AK,AQ, maybe AJ?

Turn: ($285) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.
I didn't want to get check raised and blown off my hand so decided to go for the free card.

River: ($285) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $95</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $190</font>, BB calls $95.

Now heres where my play was debatable.... am i missing out on value? Am i opening myself up to a bigger raise? I just thought it would be the best way to get money from a hand like AJ or AK or so. Comments greatly appreciated.

Final Pot: $665

soah
05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
What are you trying to represent with a flop raise, given that you had open-limped on the button?

Tony.T
05-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Ace maybe?

freemoney
05-20-2005, 08:37 PM
22 and ace with nut flush draw are all real possible here.

thatpfunk
05-20-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ace with nut flush draw are all real possible here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is limping on the button with Ax after its been folded to him in a 6max game? Doubt that one.

Tony.T
05-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Why? Does'nt it depend on our heros style of play and table image?

Imperial
05-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Bet the turn here 100% of the time unless he's a callingstation. You want to take it down right here, the flushdraw should just be backup.. If he raises, you give him credit for a very good hand and fold unless you have odds to call.

Twentysack
05-21-2005, 02:20 AM
I agree about trying to win the hand on the turn, but against the range of hand i didn't i was going to get a fold out of him. Comments on the river play?

creedofhubris
05-21-2005, 03:12 AM
I don't like open-limping 54s. Raise it or fold it.

Flop raise fihne. If he reraises you on the flop, are you prepared to move in? Turn check is good too. He's got an ace and he's not folding.

On the river, I tend to hate minraises. I think you could've raised more, to $300 say, which will probably get the same crying calls and lets you fold to a reraise.

fisherman112
05-21-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn here 100% of the time unless he's a callingstation. You want to take it down right here, the flushdraw should just be backup.. If he raises, you give him credit for a very good hand and fold unless you have odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not at all correct. hero has a very strong drawing hand that wants to see a river but is definitely not getting a fold out of villain. if villain had flopped a set and decided to get tricky and c/r the turn, hero has just been blown off a chance to stack him if he hits his straight and take down a nice pot if he hits his flush.
checking the turn is the superior move IMO, although occassionally betting this hand is correct.

Imperial
05-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Because hero is shortstacked I agree that the turn check is ok, if he had a full buy in he should bet the turn. How do you know villian is'nt folding??? Because hero minraised the flop and got called? His draw is not so big with one card to come and you have to win pots like this without always hitting your flush/str...

Yeti
05-21-2005, 08:49 AM
You should really raise more on this flop. I'd check the turn too at least 70% of the time.

freemoney
05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
i mean i agree but i dont openlimp with anything on the button so i think the fact that someone does A3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or so or 22 is def within that range

RollaJ
05-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Nothing wrong with preflop IMHO
Id make it 125 or so on the flop. That should get rid of KK, QQ and a raggedy Jack.
If he called an 80 raise on the flop Id check the turn 104% of the times I missed.
On the river you played it perfectly, as that size raise will get called by a lot of hands, as low as a pair of jacks

Basically it seems like a rather standard hand/play

Twentysack
05-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Villian ended up showing KQc for a rivered straight... I guess i shoulda popped the flop more looking back on it. Any more thoughts on the river?

PS. funny convo with villian afterwards
Villian: you XXXXin XXXXX
Me: ?
Villian: johnny chaser
Me: you looked like you were chasing something too?
Villian: i made my hand
Me: so did i?
Villian: before you XXXXface
Villian: sorry when did the ten of DIAMONDS fall?
Me: the 6th street?

Later on i stacked him when i flopped bottom set vs his top two, no complaints there :P

jrforman
05-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Too lazy to read all posts, so if this has been said or better advice has been given, feel free to disregard...I really hate the min raise on the river...At this point your raising here beacuse you think you have the best hand...Therefore I would raise 3x his bet and if you lose to a bigger flush so be it...

BluffTHIS!
05-22-2005, 05:21 AM
I agree with banker that checking the turn behind is the superior play here so as not to get checkraised off a good draw, together with having position that may allow you to bluff if it misses, as the opponent does not have to have an ace and may fold to a river bet. I also agree with jrforman about the amount of the river raise. He either is not going to call any raise or he is going to call more than a min raise so you should milk it for as much as you think he would call with various hands. And if you're worried about a higher flush in a headsup short-handed table situation then take a box of ex-lax.

emil3000
05-22-2005, 06:37 AM
I really don't agree with the "He will call any raise or no raise" sentiments. In this case I think he could be milked for a bit more, maybe 150 or something, but hero's hand is really obvious. Unless he is a total donk he is not calling anything big.