PDA

View Full Version : James Cramer is a knowledgable stock trader. LOOK at my post!!!!!!!!!!

RYL
05-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Anybody agree or disagree? And please state why. By the way, I like Jim Cramer because of who he is as a person. Judging by how he potrays himself on TV I think there's a 95% chance he knows what he's talking about. Just want to know your opinion. Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RYL
05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I bought his book,"Jim Cramer's Real Money" but I'm not going to read it until I finish reading, "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About" by Kevin Trudeau.

joshman1204
05-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I like the guy and I think he has a pretty good feel for the market but I would never try to pass him off as a nice guy! try reading some of his other books, confessions of a street addict, and then you may have a different view of him as a person.

RYL
05-20-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...but I would never try to pass him off as a nice guy! try reading some of his other books, confessions of a street addict, and then you may have a different view of him as a person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will read that book... since you mentioned it. Thanks a million for your opinion!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

joshman1204
05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
I should mention one more book if you really want to get a good idea of who cramer is, check out trading with the enemy by maier. This is a book by a guy who used to work at a hedge fund and it will really give you both sides of the story. I would probably reccomend reading trading with the enemy first and then moving to secrets of a street addict if you want the full picture of his life.

r2b2
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
I enjoy Jim Cramer, he is great on Mad Money. I like his recommendations, but I always research them myself. He is not afraid to say he made a mistake. I hope you saw the show with the CEO from Sirius, it was hilarious. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Army Eye
05-23-2005, 02:57 AM
I'm not even into stocks that much but I really like this 'Mad Money' show

RedManPlus
05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm a professional trader...
And James Cramer is one of my favorite entertainers.

But Cramer failed as a money manager.
If Cramer could manage a successful hedge fund...
With his profile and sales skills...
He'd be managing billions today.

The idea that you can profit...
From stock picks that you hear about on Mad Money...
Is hopelessly naive.

By the time you are buying the stock...
Cramer and his friends are selling it to you.

rm+

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

joshman1204
05-25-2005, 10:20 AM
I half way agree with this and I will try to explain. Cramer seems to have a real talent for timing the market and playing the whole sector rotation game. I dont understand why everyone says he failed as a money manager, I know two people who invested with cramer & berkewitz (sp?) and both of them put 1MM in his fund when he first started and they cashed out 6MM when he finally left. After cramer left they both left 1MM in the fund for the other guy to run and he never could get anything going and managed to lose 200M. I think Cramer was a very succesfull manager and his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see. I think he loves being in the spotlight (madmoney) much more than he enjoyed running his own fund.

r2b2
05-25-2005, 01:35 PM
A little OT, did you catch him on Donnie Deutsch playing poker on Monday? Gabe Kaplan and Jennifer Garth were on too. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

RYL
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I half way agree with this and I will try to explain. Cramer seems to have a real talent for timing the market and playing the whole sector rotation game. I dont understand why everyone says he failed as a money manager, I know two people who invested with cramer & berkewitz (sp?) and both of them put 1MM in his fund when he first started and they cashed out 6MM when he finally left. After cramer left they both left 1MM in the fund for the other guy to run and he never could get anything going and managed to lose 200M. I think Cramer was a very succesfull manager and his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see. I think he loves being in the spotlight (madmoney) much more than he enjoyed running his own fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we say charitable trust fund?

AceHigh
05-25-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a successful fund manager is more about being a good salesman than being good at picking stocks...unfortunately.

RYL
05-25-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we say charitable trust fund?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean by this is I totally agree with what joshman1204 is saying. I think Jim Cramer really wants to help people who need help the most. He could CHOOSE to do his own fund, but I believe he CHOSE to help those which he believes needs it most.

RedManPlus
05-26-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know two people who invested with cramer & berkewitz (sp?) and both of them put 1MM in his fund when he first started and they cashed out 6MM when he finally left. After cramer left they both left 1MM in the fund for the other guy to run and he never could get anything going and managed to lose 200M. I think Cramer was a very succesfull manager and his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see. I think he loves being in the spotlight (madmoney) much more than he enjoyed running his own fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kind of vague hearsay in the 1st sentence...
Plus $1.00...
Will get you a coffee at Starbucks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Stock Picking"/"Sector Rotation" is a grind it out strategy...
That MAY outperform the market by 5-10%. Maybe.

Cramer was probably tired of the pressure.
Then "thestreet.com" turned the corner...
And he went into show business.

Cramer is a lot like Sklansky.
Is DS ranked in the Top 100? Top 1000?

Those that can't... teach.

rm+

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

RedManPlus
05-26-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a successful fund manager is more about being a good salesman than being good at picking stocks...unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...
But salesmen do not run hedge funds.

Salesmen set up "skimming operations".

90% of all mutual and hedge funds out there...
Are pure "skimming operations".

You get whatever the market returns...
Less fees.

If people are not doing sophisticated, highly computerized quantitative analysis...
As a basis for "risk arbitrage"...
Then they are just salesmen running a "skimming operation".

People who claim to be "stock pickers"...
Are running "skimming operations".

Remember Edward Thorpe?
Beat the Dealer?
The father of card counting?

He's been running a true hedge fund for 20 years.
Google him... he's the best.

rm+

meow_meow
05-27-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Is hopelessly naive.

rm+

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit OT, but I find your penchant for ... incredibly annoying. What do you have against correct punctuation, complete ideas, and full sentences?

Recliner
05-29-2005, 03:15 PM
story on him (http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/01/0301cramer.html)

He seems like such a great guy! Really...

DesertCat
05-29-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
story on him (http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/01/0301cramer.html)

He seems like such a great guy! Really...

[/ QUOTE ]

During the Internet bubble Momentum investing was huge, i.e. buy anything that's going up, and sell when it starts going down. It's a great strategy for a bull market, but always ends poorly. Many of the momentum guys got crushed when the bubble burst. One guy got out just in time, and got his own TV show. That guy was Cramer.

Cramer used the Pump N Dump network (CNBC) better than anyone and had a great touch (i.e. sources) at predicting news on hot stocks.

But those days are over. I don't see CNBC moving stocks up like it used to, I think even retards now understand anyone who is touting a stock on CNBC is trying to unload a position on suckers.

Cramer isn't an investor. I doubt he'll ever make money for anyone again. Traders who aren't trading on proprietary information or arbitaging real value differences are just flipping coins. For a couple years a trader could call heads and always win, those days are long gone.

AceHigh
05-29-2005, 11:12 PM
I think this is a little harsh.

Cramer's first job is to attract viewers, not necessarily to offer great stock advice. I think he's usually entertaining. Listen to his advice, but make your own decisions. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You have to remember brokers are salesmen and so is Cramer. Take the good, throw out the bad. He's not great, but he's better than most of the TV shills.

YMMV.

DesertCat
05-31-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's not great, but he's better than most of the TV shills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. Using TV shows for investment tips is foolish no matter who you are listening to.

True story. One of the top investment managers in the country, a guy who manages a private fund, was once invited on Cramer's show. He only wanted to talk about investment philosophies and techniques, and refused to give specific stock recommendations (tips). Of course he's not going to give away any of his hard earned proprietary ideas.

Cramer was insulted, and shouted him off the show. And brought on another in a long line of touts trying to dump their losers on gullible public (while keeping their good ideas secret).

CrazyN8
06-03-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Is hopelessly naive.

rm+

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the rules of buying stocks is not to buy anything that you heard about on TV or in a magazine....that's a little harsh but I think you are dead on.

as far as the show goes...I think it can be a good tool. He goes fast but he kinda shows you a way to think about stuff. Other things to look for when trading and it's entertaining!

CrazyN8
06-03-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
his reasons for quitting were much deaper than most people see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he did something that some might call illegal.

FMThe2nd
06-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Cramer has been pretty hot lately on Mad Money. He had the CEO of Turbochef (TCF) on his show Monday when the stock was at 14. The next day it opened at 15 and today it is above 16.

Yesterday he pushed WFR and it is up 6% today. Other stocks he's been pushing are GME and he also likes GOOG.

IMO, the best way to use Cramer is to buy the small stocks (less than $5 billion market cap) as soon as he mentions them on the show and then to flip them a day or two later. You have to be pretty fast though, as these stocks start moving after-hours almost before Cramer even starts talking about them.

I wish I could find a list that shows the stocks that Cramer is going to talk about. It would be great to get long the stocks he is going to push before the market closes and then flip them after hours when Cramer starts talking about them.