PDA

View Full Version : KQs, bubble, big stack. correct play?

liucipher
05-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I have a lot of chips. I am most likely a coinflip and POSSIBLY dominating (Villain did this a few hands earlier with KJo).

But I could fold, allow the bubble to burst, and have half the chips still when it gets 3-way. Plus the minraise is hella suspicious.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1250)
Button (t1761)
Hero (t4145)
BB (t844)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ????

Am I correct in thinking that KQs is a lot of hand if you're opening, but pretty much squat if you're calling?

The Yugoslavian
05-20-2005, 05:29 PM
I fold...switch the places of the BB and UTG and I'm liable to push.

Yugoslav
PS The minraise means he doesn't want to go allin, get called by you and have the BB fold....not b/c he has a monster (altho i'd include those in a range of hands to put him on)

curtains
05-20-2005, 05:49 PM
I would move allin. I am not folding here...I might even call and push any flop, as a call may entice the BB to fold. However I think allin is the best play. The button WILL fold sometimes when there is a stack with 400 chips. I've seen it happen way too often on PartyPoker, and your hand is pretty decent.

Eyeback
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I think I would push this hand as well as you actually do have some FE.

liucipher
05-20-2005, 06:09 PM
He bet half his chips and there's an overlay with the blinds? He'd have to be deathly afraid of bubbling, which is a legitimate possibility ...

If I push and he folds, I'm a truely dominant chip stack.

But if I push and he calls/wins, I'm suddenly back in the scrum w/ 2000 chips about to enter 3 handed.

If I fold, I'm still a fairly dominant chip stack that can bully a lot of blinds to come.

But I see your point about the bubble. I just try not to be afraid of the bubble personally so it's hard for me to make other people think the same way (see my 'bubble idiocy' post to see how I butcher this philosophy beyond the point of reason).

The Yugoslavian
05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Curtains, if you push here don't you think almost every time this means you'll be in 3-ways vs. BB and button? Given the stack configuration I'd think the button really isn't pushing a very wide range here (to make KQ valuable enough to call). I do agree the BB will fold sometimes and if that were to happen then I love pushing here....I just don't think the BB is doing it enough to gain FE vs. the button.

Yugoslav

curtains
05-20-2005, 10:08 PM
My hand is strong, Im not scared to gamble with KQs here. Also the BB will fold a reasonable % of the time and it's unlikely that I'm dominated (Sometimes I'll be ahead), and if I am I'm lucky enough to win anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Newt_Buggs
05-20-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm not even thinking twice about pushing this. this mini raise looks like an "i'll take care of the BB incase you don't". You definitly have FE and even if you get called you've got a strong hand and 400 free chips in the pot to boost your pot odds

adanthar
05-21-2005, 01:27 AM
This one's player dependent. Against a 2+2'er, I'd probably fold, but vs. most guys I'd either call or push.

chisness
05-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Yugo,

Wouldn't your push probably make the BB MORE likely to fold than to call? Even though his odds would improve, it seems like unless he had a very strong holding, he'd assme you have a strong holding and pray for the button to call and potentially fall into 3rd!

The Yugoslavian
05-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Yeah....I'm not saying pushing makes him more likely to call...I think u may be right about the BB now folding more often if you push though. And if he folds more then the button folds more. I'm not very sure that folding is best here but I'm also not sure pushing is...I think what I'd do at the table would depend very much on how my oppoents are playing.

Yugoslav