PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 3/6 Hand

ThomasPHoolery
05-20-2005, 05:21 PM
PokerRoom 3/6 Full table w/ a late position poster.

I'm 3 off the gun, w/ JD 10H (-- note-- i initially misread my hand as J 10 H, thus making a preflop call when I normally fold)

ANTES/BLINDS

>
> PRE-FLOP
> UTG calls $3, UTG+ 1 calls $3, I calls $3,
> Late Position Poster checks, Cut off calls $3, Small Blind calls $1.50, Big Blind checks.
>
> FLOP [board cards 4D,QD,KD ]
> SB bets $3, BB folds, UTG calls $3, UTG+1 folds,
> I calls $3, Late Position Poster folds, Cut Off calls $3.
My thoughts: I think I made a mistake here, and should be raising. I'm only dead to the made A-high flush, and my equity vs most hands is likely enough to make a raise profitable, esp. considering cutoff is very loose and is likely to cold call the raise with almost anything.

> TURNJH
SB checks, UTG checks, I checks, Cutoff bets $6,
> SB calls $6, UTG calls $6, I calls $6.
My thoughts: Even though it pairs me, not a great card-- essentially, I'm just swapping some outs. I don't think leading this turn gives me that much, and when the SB checks, there is a chance I may be getting a free card. When it gets back to me, I'm getting 8-1 to see the river.
>
> RIVER 9c
> SB bets $6, UTG folds

9BB, I hold the 1 card straight, and the turn bettor is left to act behind me.
What should I do now?

Thoughts on how I should play this river, or the entire hand for that matter.

Thanks

Spicymoose
05-20-2005, 08:20 PM
You already know you should fold preflop and raise the flop. You have to bet the turn with everyone showing weakness, and you holding a pair, straight draw, and flush draw.

I think you should raise the river, but I am not sure. It definetly does not seem like anyone has the flush, but it is always a possibility with the way these people play. If you raise, you will probably drive out CO, and could be chopping with SB. On the other hand, SB could have 2 pair or some other worse hand, and raising would gain an extra bet from him.

Nick C
05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I think raising the flop is something to consider. However, your equity will vary greatly in this spot, depending on whether anyone has the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or not. And, while there was no preflop raise, the table does seem loose, so ace-rag is probably a popular hand.

Anyway, though, I would probably go ahead and raise.

I don't really like the turn card. I would want to get to the river as cheaply as possible. So I like the check.

I don't know what SB's river bet means. Maybe he has Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or something. I kind of want to raise, now that I've made my hand. But I would probably just call, thinking that unless SB just made two pair or decided he liked his top pair hand after all, now that the fourth diamond didn't fall, there's a good chance I'm chopping with him. A strangely played flush also can't be ruled out. Plus, there is CO left to act, and although I think you have him beat, he also could have been slowplaying a flush on the flop or could have AT or T9.

I don't know. I guess I'd just call, hoping CO will call behind me with a worse hand.

If CO raised instead, I wouldn't be too happy, but I would call one more, I think.

DemonDeac
05-20-2005, 08:32 PM
you registered on my 19th birthday
good for you

as for hand
raise floooop
i prolly just call river bet with two players yet to act, gain more money that way if you can scoop pot

oreogod
05-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Raise the flop, the hand plays differently from there. Some ppl fold, some ppl call two pets cold -- which I think will say much more about their hand if u add that fact and whatever their turn action is. If anybody has a flush its the CO.

If no one folds to your Flop raise I dont know if a turn bet is so great. If they call two cold on the flop, I dont think your implied odds are great, especially with that turn.

Pretty much you are hoping they dont have a flush and dont have AT and such...and hope that someone isnt drawing to an ace high flush.

Anyway here is what I do:

Preflop: Fold
Flop: raise
Turn: (if ppl fold) Bet, (if it stays 4 or more) Check
River: Call (you are hoping CO isnt raising though and AT is the only other hand besides the flush that u are worried about)

bobhalford
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Just wondering why JTo is a fold preflop in a multiway pot? I thought that this was a good hand because of straight potential. Obviously suited is a call, but why not go for the straight/2-pair? Seems like you are getting good odds with 2 people calling before you.

Nick C
05-20-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering why JTo is a fold preflop in a multiway pot? I thought that this was a good hand because of straight potential. Obviously suited is a call, but why not go for the straight/2-pair? Seems like you are getting good odds with 2 people calling before you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors are much better multiway hands than the corresponding unsuited ones. And JTo doesn't have all that much high-card strength, so I don't like the hand very much, though I do often play it in LP and from the blinds.

ThomasPHoolery
05-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Just FYI, on the river, I call, the CO folds and the SB shows K9o for two pair and I take down the entire pot... Thanks for the comments... Think we agree the first two streets are played incorrectly, but I'm still interested to various rationales for leading vs. checking the turn and calling vs raising the river.

oreogod
05-21-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because in his position there is a greater chance of being raised and being raised with JTo sucks and u will have to call it anyway. JTs is a much much better hand, and u dont mind having to call one more bet so much.