PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island discs--comments welcome

Swiss Cheese
12-07-2002, 04:24 PM
The albums I would take on a deserted island and why.

1. Beggers Banquet--Rolling Stones Many, if they were to choose a stones album, would take Exile on Main Street. They are both great but Beggers is the stones finest blues rock album all the way through.

2. Blood on the Tracks--Bob Dylan--The finest return album ever!!!!!

3. Baja Sessions--Chris Isaak--A mellow rockin album to let you drift away.

4. Wilco--Wilco--One of the finest albums of country rock. Yes it rivals the early Sun material.

5. I Feel Alright--Steve Earle--Another return album but for self induced reasons. This album tells of the his life on the "other side of the tracks".

6. Freedom--Neil Young and Crazy Horse--This album is some of the finest rockin and songs written in the 90's. The grandfather of grunge show the kids a few things on this album. "Rockin in the Free World" while the best known of the tunes on the album isn't even close to being the best.

7. Car Wheels on a Gravel Road--Lucinda Williams--Your gonna want to hear a womans voice sooner or later it might as well be from that also write incredible songs.

8. Electric--The Cult--Balls out rocking and one of the best cover versions ever--"Born to be Wild"

9. Rubber Soul--The Beatles--A great fusion of what the Beatles were and what they were to become.

10. Live at the Troubadour--Neil Diamond--I know that Diamond is now a joke but the young Diamond was a great song writter and performer. This is the best of his best caught at his peak.

11. Moondance--Van Morrison--This album is incredible songwritting from start to finish and I think everyone can relate to some part of this album.

12. Reservoir Dogs Soundtrack--Various Artists & Steve Wright--Your gonna need to laugh and you might as well hear music while your doing it...just had to add this album.

All comments welcome if anyone is interested!!!!! I had to do somthing whil I am waiting form my next on-line tourney.

Swiss Cheese

Swiss Cheese

RINCON
12-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Swisscheese- Quite and interesting selection of music.I can't argue with any of the selections,but its obvious you are a little bit older than me.No problem I like all music!!
I would need a little bit of everything so here goes
OZZY, METALLICA
WILLIE NELSON,WAYLON JENNINGS,JOHNNY CASH
AEROSMITH, VAN HALEN, DEF LEPPARD
EMINEM,EAZY-E
SINATRA,GEORGE STRAIT
EAGLES,DOORS,BEATLES
The greatest hits of each of these artists would do me just fine.Good luck in your tournament.

RINCON

Allan
12-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Looks like a good list, but Neil Diamond? Is his best of his best so much better than something else you could bring? And Van Morrison I've always found to be boring, sorry....

Here is mine, completely different in no particular order,

1) Bach, The Art Of the Fugue, A genius using the last of his life force to squeeze out what he knows will be his last gift to the world and asking the world to please remember him. Something to think about intellectually on the island.

2) Duke Ellington, The Great Paris Concert, A great live album, with one of the great Ellington lineups.

3) Bob Marley and the Wailers, Kaya, One of my all-time favorite albums

4) D'angelo, Voodoo. Athough there are obviosly far better soul artists/albums out there I can't get enough of this album.

5) Tribe Called Quest, Midnight Marauders, for my hip hop fix

6) Led Zeppelin, I don't know what album I'd actually bring but I can't imagine not having one

7) Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, The Smithsonian live recordings, good foot stomping american roots music.

8) Tower of Power, anything live by them for party music

9) Guns and Roses, Appetite for Destruction, For memories of old friends and to get my morning started w/o coffee.

10) Richard Strauss, Der Rosenkavalier, My favorite opera, if for nothing else the final trio......

11) Joni Mitchell, Blue, Great songs

12) I'm not too into soundtracks so I'd go with the only one I own, Pulp Fiction..

Allan

Mark Heide
12-07-2002, 05:44 PM
Swiss Cheese,

If I was the dictator on that desert island, all of that music would be banned. Since, I only like very little popular music, here is my list:

1. Stravinsky-The Rite of Spring-Conducted by Pierre Boulez with the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra.

2. Schostakovich-Complete Symphonies-Rudolf Barshai and WDR Orchestra.

3. Luigi Nono-Prometeo-Ingo Metzmacher-Ensemble Modern

4. Prokofiev-Complete Symphonies-Neeme Jarvi RSNO.

5. George Crumb-Ancient Voices of Children

6. Debussy-Images for Orchestra-Fritz Reiner and CSO.

7. Toshio Hosokawa-In die Tiefe der Zeit-Thomas Demenga and Teodoro Anzellotti.

Those are some of my favorites and I never get tired of listening to them.

Good Luck

Mark

Swiss Cheese
12-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Your list reminded me of one--Kind of Blue--Miles Davis--an incredible listen, pure genius, and I don't really understand music theory or any of that I just know it is a cople of real musical geniuses working togather.

I also am not into soundtracks but the ones from Quentin T are not your normal soundtracks.

Swiss Cheese
12-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Mark,

Thanks for your input, one of the reason I listed these is to see what other people like and maybe get some ideas of other types of music that I could enjoy.

Swiss Cheese

Phat Mack
12-07-2002, 06:35 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
George Crumb-Ancient Voices of Children

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this one?

Mark Heide
12-07-2002, 07:38 PM
George Crumb is a modern composer. I had to analyze this piece when I was in college for my music theory class.
Here's a link to the original recording that was used by many audiofile stores to demonstrate product back in the days of vinyl.

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp?pfid=1066380

Good Luck

Mark

John Cole
12-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Mark,

Believe it or not, I have Ancient Voices of Children on both LP and CD.

Here's one perhaps very few have heard, but I like a lot: the soundtrack to One From the Heart.

I won't list any more because everybody thinks I'm highfalutin anyway. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

John

Allan
12-07-2002, 09:30 PM
I would take this list, but I would replace the Crumb with Ligeti, maybe the woodwind quintet...

Allan

Allan
12-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Kind of Blue is a stroke of genius but with just the few choices my personal pref. is Ellington.
You're absolutley right about QT's soundtracks....It's been so long since I've seen RD but I'm sure if I ran out and bought the soundtrack I wouldn't be upset....

Allan

Allan
12-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Mark's list is pretty darn interesting....I wouldn't mind hearing yours, especially seeing as you own 2 copies of the Crumb....

Allan

Allan
12-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Sometime last month I believe I heard an small program on NPR about Crumb and what he was up to these days. Apparently he has been composing quite a bit and is in the process of finishing a few comissions for some pretty big organizations that my mind fails to remember. The excerpts that were played were really interesting....not as "proggressive" sounding as the stuff form his "prime" but a lot of textural ideas......

Allan

Zeno
12-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Some random music for desert island solitude.

Best of Louis Armstrong (a number of discs called this, all good)

Bob Marley and the Wailers: Legend (Hits collection)

Greatest Hit collection of Classical music: Handel, Chopin, Vivaldi, Schubert, Bach, Beethoven.

A must would be Beethoven's 5th Smyphony, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra - Leonard Bernstein at the helm.

And Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Roy Orbison's greatest hits.

I agree about Moondance by Van Morrison

A collection of blues, preferrable recordings are from the 40's - 60's. Usual names.

A best of the Pat Matheny Group

And of course - Mojo Nixon's sock ray blue CD. Full Blast, damn the speakers.

And I almost forget this one: A quiet Normal Life, The Best of Warren Zevon. Again Full Blast, damn the torpedoes (Tom Petty?)

No. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The final one is Frank Zappa's "Have I Offended Someone". I hope so, Frank. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Zeno, The Misanthrope

John Cole
12-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Allan,

You've been warned. I don't know anything about music except what I like and don't like.

I guess I take

John Zorn's The Big Gundown

Sibelius Violin Concerto--Francescatti's version, but Mintz will do fine

Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante and Requiem

Brahams' Fourth Symphony and Violin Sonatas

My old DG Archive lp which includes Palestrina's Super Flumina Babylonis (sp?, and Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come, which includes the reggae version, By the Rivers of Babylon. Both are great albums, and I like the combination of the sacred and the profane.

For dancing on this island, I'll take Ned Sublette and The Supremes' Greatest Hits

Roy Buchanan and John Prine boxed sets

And, I suppose I'll never get sick of Glen Gould's Bach, so I'll take along The Goldberg Variations

Last, Beethoven's Ninth, Roger Norrington

That's it.

John

Ray Zee
12-08-2002, 01:58 AM
its refreshing to see all you guys having such good picks. i was beginning to think all our posters like just the new screaming meemie stuff. but for real oldies dont forget about richard wagner.

does anyone remember the klone concert.

Mark Heide
12-08-2002, 04:29 AM
John,

I have both the LP and CD too. There's a debate amoung audiofiles which sounds better. Anyway, there are two other good digital versions available one on Col Legno and the other with Barbara Ann Martin on CRI.

Good Luck

Mark

Mark Heide
12-08-2002, 04:39 AM
Allan,

My list was only partial. I have most of the Ligeti Wergo, Sony, and Teldec CD issues. I even have a boxed LP Wergo set. There is also a good recording of the Chamber Concerto by David Atherton on London, but it's currently out of print. I basically like most new and modern classics, especially composers who concentrate their efforts on tone color like Ligeti, Crumb, and Nono.

The Prometeo stage work by Nono is a tone color piece. The version by Ingo Metzmacher is only available as an import, but there is a Sony mid price that features an excerpt from it by Claudio Abbado. The title of the disk is Prometheus-The Myth In Music.

Good Luck

Mark

HDPM
12-08-2002, 08:56 PM
I have a Beethoven's 5th w/ Bernstein and I don't like it nearly as much as Karajan's stuff. My first pick on the desert island is my DG-Karajan-Berlin Philharmonic complete Beethoven symphony boxed set. All the syms and a coupla overtures tossed in. Bernstein's version of the 5th that I have (I forget the orch.) sounds sappy and lame in comparison. I also have a Guilini 9th Sym. that sucks in comparison even tho it is also Berlin Phil.