PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling with Ace King...

Malachii
05-20-2005, 04:41 PM
The other night I was playing in Commerce and an absolute rock opened up to my left with a raise from UTG+1. I had AKo and decided to coldcall his raise rather than 3 bet. Is cold calling an acceptable play against rocks, or is AK a sufficiently strong hand that three betting is mandatory?

afk
05-20-2005, 04:44 PM
I would 3bet and try to get heads up. You can steal a lot of pots on the flop this way against rocks.

edit: I also want to see if he caps.

Shillx
05-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I would have folded personally. A "rock" in a live game will only be playing AA, KK and maybe AK for a raise from UTG+1. Easy muck.

afk
05-20-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded personally. A "rock" in a live game will only be playing AA, KK and maybe AK for a raise from UTG+1. Easy muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

shillx makes a good point. if he's a huge rock in a live game then perhaps it's best to fold. i think cold calling is the worst option here.

AmarilloJim1
05-20-2005, 05:04 PM
I would not re-raise a rock with big slick unsuited. I think call or fold are the best plays in this situation. However, I have studied more mid-limit poker..this is just my opinion.

Malachii
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Why do you think calling is the worst option?

JohnEPark
05-20-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think calling is the worst option?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your read says rock.

I think this is a clear reraise or fold situation. What are you hoping to be up against here? Definitely not AA or KK. If you know that's all this guy is gonna raise with then I'd get out of there.

But if you think there's a chance he has AK, QQ or JJ then reraise, see if he plays back at you. If he does and you miss the flop, muck city. If he does and you hit the flop, show some aggression on the flop and re-evaluate where you think he's at. If he doesn't cap it preflop then I'm showing aggression on the flop regardless of what comes.

hicherbie
05-20-2005, 08:21 PM
you dont think AQ, QQ, JJ, TT are even possible?
i cant imagine folding AKo to any player...

radek2166
05-20-2005, 08:24 PM
It comes down to this. What do you think he has? My read on a rock UTG is aces or kings. Plain and simple. If I have that much faith in my read I am dumping it in a second. If he will raise aa-jj utg or ak aq i will play back at him. I raise in a heartbeat if he will raise those hands

Dunno
05-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Calling isnt a good option because u wont be in comand of the hand. I would raise and try for headsup but beware if he raises u again. Then he will have a big PP and u will at best get a coinflipp.
But iven if hes a rock he has to play AQs.. Reraise and try to get comand if u flopp an A ur doing good..

Malachii
05-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Good reasoning. While he was one of the tightest live game players I've ever seen, AQ, QQ, and JJ are all possibilities. Raising was the correct play.

Anyways, I called (a mistake), two other players called, rags flopped, he bet out, I considered raising because he might've been autobetting overcards which I could've pushed him off of but reluctantly folded. Turns out he had AK too. If I'd played this hand more aggressively, I would've won.

Anyways guys, thanks for the posts.

Dunno
05-20-2005, 08:52 PM
well bad luck but what did the coldcallers have? didnt they hit anything to fight back w? if u dont reraise preflop its hard to get respect at the flop and rerasing hes flopbet may not scare him of... the rerasie preflop is to get HU action.

Better luck next time /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
GL // Dunno

Siegmund
05-21-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It comes down to this. What do you think he has? My read on a rock UTG is aces or kings. Plain and simple. If

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I am putting this read on someone is if I have actually seen him limp with AKs or QQ already. Even someone who has folded 29 of the last 30 hands could still have a LOT bigger range here than just AA/KK.