PDA

View Full Version : Table dynamic theoretical question

durron597
05-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Say you are the final table of a tournament with a deep payout structure. The table dynamic is as follows: you have a 24 BB, and there are a few stacks with 15-20 BB and a few stacks with approx 7-10 BB. You are raising 1-2 times per orbit and haven't gotten called once. However, when a smaller stack raises, it seems that people are more willing to call if they have the player covered - so it's great for you as the largest stack, but the relative position of the other stacks is shifting quite a bit, and no one has happened to bust yet.

One hand you are in the BB with two cards. A 10 BB stack openpushes from EMP. What is the best two cards you call with, given the table dynamic?

I can see an argument for folding even as good as KK here since it seems you can build your stack through stealing if you don't play, but if you call and lose you will be down towards the bottom of the pack and will have to deal with the restealing that the medium stacks are doing to each other.

Rduke55
05-20-2005, 03:45 PM
When do the blinds go up?
I'd call with KK in a second. I doubt he'd do that with AA, or are you afraid of the 30% if he has an A.
QQ is debatable, JJ I'd most likely fold.

durron597
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or are you afraid of the 30% if he has an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The equity from stealing is why I would consider folding a 70/30 or better.

[ QUOTE ]
QQ is debatable,

[/ QUOTE ] The answer to QQ I think is the same as the answer to KK, because the equity is very similar for all hands the villian could have except AK (would he push PF with KK?)

[ QUOTE ]
JJ I'd most likely fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

I think AA is an obvious call. KK and QQ (and AK?) are really the hands I'm asking about - though I almost certainly fold AK.

CieloAzor
05-20-2005, 03:56 PM
I call KK, QQ, AK, JJ, TT, AQs...maybe a few more besides. An open-pusher could have so many hands. Laying down AK is a mistake because you'll have him dominated so often. When you're a dog, it's not by much.

durron597
05-20-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I call KK, QQ, AK, JJ, TT, AQs...maybe a few more besides. An open-pusher could have so many hands. Laying down AK is a mistake because you'll have him dominated so often. When you're a dog, it's not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you factoring in the equity you lose the times when you lose the race and can no longer steal without putting your entire stack on the line?

Sluss
05-20-2005, 04:04 PM
This is a question I go back and forth on. Inside the bubble, but before the final table, I will sometimes avoid big showdowns if I am stealing twice an orbit freely. This is also I strategy on the bubble when I am sometimes getting away stealing 3x a round.

There is a great Daniel Negreanu Card player article on this.

By the way I beat the guy in the pot with KK at the final table.

locutus2002
05-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Stealing is not risk free, and I'd be surprised if stealing your way to 1st was less risky than going with KK here.