PDA

View Full Version : JoshuaD's 2041st post dissertation - "With Reads"

JoshuaD
05-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Having cleared this very important milestone (my 2041st post), I think it's about time I made a meaningful post. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've noticed myself saying "with reads I do XXX" alot. In this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2440252&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1) thread we have an example of it. This doesn't necessarily mean "When I have a read on my opponent that tells me he's XXX, I do YYY". More often than not, I mean "When I know my opponents tendancies, I'm more liable to play this hand in a marginal way."

I think this is an important discrepancy to make. Playing a hand in a tricky or marginal way against an unknown can easily turn it into an unprofitable situation. You don't need a specific read to make some plays (like 3-betting 99 preflop early), but have a read; have an idea of how your opponents going to react.

That's all.

KDawgCometh
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
this post has no meaning either, what're you talking about /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Seriously, I like your point. Having solid reads on players is what poker is really about. It allows you to vary your game also in the event of observant players too, so that they can get less off a read on you, so it works both ways

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 07:20 PM
sorry i didnt really read your post, but i just wanted to congratulate you on your milestone.

CallMeIshmael
05-20-2005, 07:23 PM
How can you voluntarily give yourself that avatar?

EDIT: Bring. Back. Ivey.

RiverTheNuts
05-20-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you voluntarily give yourself that avatar?

EDIT: Bring. Back. Ivey.

[/ QUOTE ]

TStoneMBD
05-20-2005, 09:10 PM
because i think its funny as hell. ill go back to ivey in a little while.