PDA

View Full Version : Call down?

Nick Royale
05-20-2005, 12:53 PM
From memory, no reads.

Gaming Club 2/4

Preflop: Hero is MP with JJ.
Folds to hero raises, folds to button who calls, both blinds fold.

Flop: K x x (r)
Hero bets and button autoraises (at least very fast fwif)
Pot: ~6BB

I know it sucks not having a read, but what's your plan from here?

rmarotti
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Reads would really affect how I play this hand. W/o them I think a calldown is probably best.

KDawgCometh
05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
auto raises usually mean nothing, from my experience. so as long as another overcard doesm't fall, call him down and let him bluff some chips off to you

Sinnister
05-20-2005, 03:28 PM
calling down is a weak play reraise him right then and there and check teh reaction, if he 4 bets the flop u have somethin to think about and can muck right there or decide if u wanna gamble. If he calls keep firing on 4th and maybe check call 5th if not betting it out yourself. If you lose the hand uve lost an extra small bet, and if u fold to a reraise on the flop uve
saved a big bet. but if u play it all the way down everyone will know not to meess with u and taking the lead with a lesser hand isnt that bad anyway

Nick Royale
05-20-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
calling down is a weak play reraise him right then and there and check teh reaction, if he 4 bets the flop u have somethin to think about and can muck right there or decide if u wanna gamble. If he calls keep firing on 4th and maybe check call 5th if not betting it out yourself. If you lose the hand uve lost an extra small bet, and if u fold to a reraise on the flop uve
saved a big bet. but if u play it all the way down everyone will know not to meess with u and taking the lead with a lesser hand isnt that bad anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a great advice. If I'm getting capped I'm folding for sure. But if he calls I have to keep betting but he might very well have me beat. If I'm going to a showdown (which I believe I have to) I'm check/calling and let him keep bluffing. Why give him a reason to stop bluffing?

thejameser
05-20-2005, 04:54 PM
With no reads a pretty easy call-down for me.

rmarotti
05-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Learn how to spell. Your advice is nothing but spewing against an unknown.

Spicymoose
05-20-2005, 05:04 PM
I bet the turn and fold to a raise. Then I check/call the river and hopefully he will either check behind his better hand (king), or bluff with some worse hand.

Spicymoose
05-20-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn and fold to a raise. Then I check/call the river and hopefully he will either check behind his better hand (king), or bluff with some worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone else voice their opinions on this? I feel this play is pretty standard by me, so if others do things differently, I'd like to know.

The reason I like this play is because:

1. It costs less than a call down because if he raises the turn, you are pretty damn sure you are beat with few outs to improve

2. You get better hands scared, so may save a bet on the river if you can get them to not bet

3. You get players to try to bluff on the river, and can earn an extra bet that way

Overall I think this is better than simply calling down. The only reasons against it I could see would be if your opponent would raise you on the turn with a worse hand, but I don't really see that happening.

Spicymoose

The Goober
05-20-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem with this line is that it works best against a passive player, but a passive player probably has you beat here. If an agressive player is bluffing the flop, he might fold to your turn bet, costing you a bet. He might also bluff-raise the turn (unlikely, but possible), costing you the whole pot.

Nick Royale
05-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I think Goober stated the cons of this line pretty nice.

[ QUOTE ]
3. You get players to try to bluff on the river, and can earn an extra bet that way

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't really an argument for this line, since the turn bet will only scare him from bluffing more.