PDA

View Full Version : Standard Stop and Go?

chopchoi
05-20-2005, 11:38 AM
40 places pay, 50 left. Blinds 300/600 (no antes). I'm in about 40th place with 3,200 chips (before posting the bilnd).

I'm BB with K9o. It folds around to the button, who limps. SB folds, I check. flop is 7 high, rainbow. I push.

Lloyd
05-20-2005, 12:00 PM
A stop and go is utilized when you will act first on the flop, think you have the best hand pre-flop, and do not have enough folding equity if you push pre-flop. In this case, if you push you're opponent would have to call 2600 to win 3500 (assuming you have him covered). Those are great odds so you have more than enough chips to get him to fold unless he's got a real hand.

So, if you thought you had the best hand or if you thought you could bluff him off the pot, you should do so by pushing pre-flop. This isn't a stop and go.

schwza
05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
i think the play is fine. against some players i would push pre-flop. but against an unknown i play it like you.

chopchoi
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A stop and go is utilized when you will act first on the flop, think you have the best hand pre-flop, and do not have enough folding equity if you push pre-flop. In this case, if you push you're opponent would have to call 2600 to win 3500 (assuming you have him covered). Those are great odds so you have more than enough chips to get him to fold unless he's got a real hand.

So, if you thought you had the best hand or if you thought you could bluff him off the pot, you should do so by pushing pre-flop. This isn't a stop and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had close to 0 fold equity pre-flop. My opponent had over 17,000 chips, and I had been pushing whenever I had the chance. He knew there was a good chance I would push, and he wouldn't have entered the pot unless he was prepared to call. I thought my best play was to see the flop, if I missed, push and hope he missed too. If I hit, check/call or check raise, bet the turn if he checked behind.

Lloyd
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Cool. Sounds like it was correct, it's just not really a standard stop and go. It was your best move given your table image and your opponents stack size, something that "standard" doesn't apply to.